Ski Caches

Please Share your Experiences

My caches along 395 stretch from the Conway Grade north of Lee Vining to the Sherwin Grade north of Bishop. The first ones are only about an hour or two South of you. I'm pretty sure most of 'em are a ski trip (or snowshoe) right now. :D Look in my hides to see if you might like to do one. Folks seem to like 'em. :D

Mammoth is home for me at least for a little while each year. I don't get to see the area in full snow much, but I'll be there in May & December both this year. It will be my first winter skiing since 1989. I usually do spring skiing.

There are a few caches around Mammoth and June lake that would be great for a ski trip. :D

Here's a winter view from my "Monoville Hunter's Cache" looking toward my cache "The Fortress of Solitude" located on the ridge several thousand feet above Lee Vining in the distance.

81246ee8-c61c-49b7-876f-76088249a262.jpg

If you ever ski Mammoth, say "Hi" to my sister, MtnFrog. She's the MMSA head seamstress. :D

There's a webcam at Mid-Chalet on the mountain. Gotta ski to that one. :D

This shot was taken on 2/2/08. The snow looks GREAT!

26c0fd5d-6d65-4abe-9a44-7ee67b107bdd.jpg

Here's a couple shots from MY webcam in the village:

497b557b-bb9c-4064-a7f2-1a51376cb813.jpg

d388cd2d-8b2a-4029-baec-a6e1cd83b4d5.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

I was skiing at Snowbird 2 years ago and there was a cache about 100 feet off the trail in a patch of woods. I quickly learned that 100 feet in chest deep snow is as good as 10 miles. It was a DNF.

There is also one placed at the top of Plattekill Mtn in NY, but the owner asks that it not be hunted during ski season. I've skied within 200 feet of it several times and thought about giving it a shot, but decided against it in deference to the owner's wishes.

We have several cross country ski trails around here on DEC land that are maintained by local ski clubs. Caches can be hunted on skis in winter or hiked to other times. We have no permanent snow yet this year. Any trail with a cache , I have a cache in a state park and one in a local park that are both just off a designated ski trail( although the ski trail is probably under water right now) , can be skied to in winter with cross country skis. You can also snowmobile to them.

Lots of ski caches in Colorado. One of my favorites is this one (see my log with elevation profile, Google earth 3D image).

There are two major types of ski caches, just as there are 2 major types of skiing. The nordic caches would be nearly identical to any "cache in the woods" except that in winter you would cross-country ski to them. The alpine caches would be at an "area" and be located in the woods just off a ski run. Both are very fun. Most ski areas are national forests--typically cache-friendly places.

The trouble with ski caches, obviously, is keeping them up out of the snow. Here in Colorado this year, many ski resorts have received 10-15 feet of snow. This is unusual, though, and you probably only need to place them 6-7ft or so up on a tree.

You also have to decide what you are going for. If you want an easy cache, keep it to a micro size just off trails that are groomed. This way an average skiier could stand outside the trees and reach in to get it. You could easily strap such a micro to a branch. This type of cache isn't as fun for me.

For a more challenging cache, look for an opening in the trees between two runs. You can ususally spot where a few skiiers have crossed from run to run through the trees. A fallen tree lying at a diagonal (resting on another tree perhaps) is ideal. I've seen full-size ammo boxes attached by caribiner and screws to this before. Also, a fallen or unusual tree is good for the hint, which will probably be needed, especially if the cacher ends up below the cache and needs to figure out how to maneuver up to it. Keep the cache uphill and with within a few feet of where the skiier will probably traverse. The key is not to put the cache in a place that requires the cacher to remove skiis--that is dangerous as without skiis someone could easily fall into deep snow and become stuck.

If you do place a cache in the trees, please increase the terrain rating to at least a 3.5 and warn people to use caution and stay away if they are beginners. Just this week at Keystone in CO, another skiier died from tree collision, and he was even wearing a helmet.

Other people have placed magnetic micros on trail signs, etc. Those are about as fun as lamp-post skirt lifters in parking lots. I mean, really, here you are on a magnificent mountain, and that is all there is? Please.

Ski caches are great. For those retrieving a ski cache, I suggest putting your eTrex into a neoprene case and clipping it to your ski glove for easy access. Also, attach your eTrex to your jacket with a lanyard. Then click into your skiis or board, do a little yodelling to warm up, and schuss your way to caching bliss!

What terrain Difficulty are most placed on? i.e. Blue Squares, Blacks, etc.

I've seen caches on all types of terrain. Just adjust the ratings accordingly. My preference is blue runs. If you go with black runs, you'll probably get fewer visits. If someone gets too far downhill from the cache and has to start over again, they'll appreciate it being an easier run. Green runs here in CO tend to be overrun with too many people, mainly Texans. :rolleyes:

I have tried to find a ski cache. Was at Copper Mountain and after swimming through waist and chest deep snow I gave up on it, but I had a real good time!! I was also surprised to find that there were quite a few hidden at the ski area, but I guess it makes sense, it is on National Forest Land, so very public, and in a very beautiful area. There was also an urban micro at the base that I couldn't find. So even though I haven't had any luck actually FINDING ski caches, it's very nice that they are there and I appreciate people hiding them!

Up here we've got Black and Blue. I cheated and did them in the summer.

This winter they are a little tough to get to with 31 feet of snow falling in the pass. The 6 feet just this week has closed the pass several times, infact all the passes are closed today. You have to go to Canada or Oregon to go east by road.

Yes, we've had a dramatic and commerce-and-recreation-dampening couple of weeks up here. :rolleyes:

But MA neglected to mention we have a Snowshoe and Ski bookmark list, where you can see many of our winter special-equipment caches in the Pacific Northwest. Some are XC ski only, others are snowshoe, some are both.