Ghost Towns Series

Okiebryan

This cache hasn't been approved as of the time of this post: GC196TG

This is the first of a hopefully long series. I have put a lot of work into research. I'm wondering if other cachers will like the description, or if it is just too much blah blah blah...

Here is the description:

You are looking for a camo'd ammo box. This is an easy hide in an interesting and beautiful place.

This cache was placed with the cooperation of the Pontotoc Co. Historical & Genealogical Society.

Stonewall (now known as Frisco) is the second oldest town in the Chickasaw Nation.

Shortly before the close of the Civil War, Robert Cochran opened a trading post, or general merchandise store, on the south side of the Clear Boggy Creek. At the close of the War in 1865 the store was removed by its founder to the opposite side of the stream. This establishment continued until about 1903 under the ownership and management of various men.

At the time of the move across the river, Cochran gave this place the name of "Stonewall" for General "Stonewall" Jackson, a commanding officer in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Stonewall then became the county seat of Pontotoc County. Later, in 1878, William L. Byrd, former governor of the Chickasaw Nation, moved here and established a general merchandise store. Later other business concerns were established here.

From 1895 to 1900 in alternate years, a United States Commissioner's Court was held here and in Center until the Commissioner's Court was consolidated in a location at Ada.

The Chickasaw National Academy, consisting of a boarding school for Chickasaw Indian children, was located about .5 mile east of here, adjoining the north edge of the cemetery. One building was destroyed by fire in 1874, and the other burned in 1880. The cornerstone is still visible today.

A town stolen

In 1903 the Shawnee branch of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway was constructed from Atoka to Oklahoma City. This new railroad touched a section of the county three miles due east of Stonewall. A townsite was organized at this point by Otis B. Weaver, Torn Hope, and Governor William L. Byrd, and a thriving new town sprang up there without either a name or a post office.

On a bright moonlit night in the winter of 1903, under the leadership of Date Crawford, an Ada attorney, and N. T. (Nick) Hurd, a local business man, the post office at Stonewall was hoisted upon wagon wheel trucks and moved to the new townsite, lock, stock and barrel. The following morning, the new townsite had a post office and a definite name.

Of course this left the "old Stonewall" without either a name or a post office, but this did not last long. In 1905, the Oklahoma Central Railway was constructed through "old Stonewall" from Lehigh to Chickasha, Oklahoma. The residents of "old Stonewall" mistakenly believed that this new railroad was a branch of the Frisco Railway System, so in renaming the town they gave it the name of Frisco and shortly a post office of the same name was established there.

During the Great Depression, the Oklahoma Central Railway ceased to operate in 1933. The trackage and most of the housing properties of the railroad were removed. All that remains of this once busy little transportation line is the right of way, and Frisco without railroad facilities dwindled from a once prosperous railroad town to two small stores and a post office.

Another noteworthy item is that when the streets and city lots were surveyed and official plats drawn, this place was still named Stonewall. As a result, there is some confusion with legal description of property located here. Even today, the proper and legal way to describe real estate in Frisco is "Lot so and so, Block so and so of Stonewall, now Frisco, Oklahoma, according to the United States Government survey and plat thereof."

Look around town while you are here, and if you find a large stand of Silver Maple trees, you have found the site of the old residence of the late Governor of the Chickasaw Nation, William L. Byrd. In about the year 1881, Governor Byrd went to Washington, D. C. as a delegate to represent the Chickasaw Nation in official matters of the Nation. While there, the Governor's attention was attracted to the many beautiful Silver Maple shade trees that then adorned the nation's capitol. Upon his return home he brought along a number of Silver Maple seedlings, and replanted them upon his property. These plants grew into huge shade trees which can yet be seen about the old residence.

I think it sounds like a great series! There is a series somewhere in Michigan that I've found a few of. I think it is forgotten towns or something like that.

These are the kinds of cache pages that I enjoy reading to learn more about the local history of a place I am visiting. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be in OK anytime soon but good luck with it.

I think it sounds like a great series! There is a series somewhere in Michigan that I've found a few of. I think it is forgotten towns or something like that.

These are the kinds of cache pages that I enjoy reading to learn more about the local history of a place I am visiting. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be in OK anytime soon but good luck with it.

The series in Michigan is called "Michigan's Lost Towns". There are 25 of them so far. Each of the listing pages has the history and some photos of the "lost" towns. It's a great series and I've enjoyed it. I think your Oklahoma series will be great too!

:D