firefox yes IE no

popolopo

IE6 works fine for me on XP. No problems. Fast, too. Some nag boxes, but don't they all.

Firefox, on the other hand, is beastly slow and 20% (minimum) of the rest of the net is unreadable/undisplayable. I gave up getting beat to death with nag boxes so I quit using it. Did I mention slooooooooowwwwwww?

Norton. I hate Norton. I think Norton invents virii so they can sell ya Norton. Norton IS a virus. Too, once you got it, you can't get rid of it unless you really know what you are doing..... (msconfig, startup, ini etc)

IE6 works fine for me on XP. No problems. Fast, too. Some nag boxes, but don't they all.

Firefox, on the other hand, is beastly slow and 20% (minimum) of the rest of the net is unreadable/undisplayable. I gave up getting beat to death with nag boxes so I quit using it. Did I mention slooooooooowwwwwww?

Norton. I hate Norton. I think Norton invents virii so they can sell ya Norton. Norton IS a virus. Too, once you got it, you can't get rid of it unless you really know what you are doing..... (msconfig, startup, ini etc)

On the Norton website... there is a remove utiliy that works well...

completely removes Norton anti-virus...

but you have to run the remove program...

nothing like that for MaAfee though...

If you think about it... an antivirus program should be hard to remove...

Otherwise hackers would have a field day...

The thought that Norton invents virus' is absoulty innane...

That is an Urban Legand...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

The thought that Norton invents virus' is absoulty innane...

That is an Urban Legand...

Not a fan of sarcasm I take it????

Edit to thank Peconic Bay Sailors for the pointer to the Norton removal tool. I did not know such a thing existed. I will be running it on my other PC's and hope it will save me a few hours and headaches. I'll let you know what happens.

Edited by Rattlebars

Do not know why but it is working now. I tinkered with some of my settings. Thanks for the replies.

I know why it's working now - you tinkered with some of your settings! If you could post which ones were tinkered, then others could benefit from your tinks!

Can anyone tell me why Internet Explorer will not work but Firefox will for geocaching.com .

Often, that's a clue that the site was developed using Firefox, then later made to work in IE. (I've done this.) There are such excellent development tools for Firefox (debuggers, CSS inspectors, etc.), that I think more web developers are using Firefox, which in turn means more sites just plain work with Firefox, which means more people use Firefox, and so on. It's a self-reinforcing loop.

But I think Groundspeak is a Microsoft shop, so I can't answer your question.

The problem was with Vista. It was blocking this site. I was using XP and it worked fine. The Internet service provider led me through a fix that cured the problem with this site and many others. My old computer had XP and worked fine, the new one has Vista. It now works fine.

Edited by popolopo

The probles was with Vista. It was blocking this site. I was using XP and it worked fine. The Internet service procider led me through a fix that cured the problem with this site and many others.

Upgrade your vista machine to XP. Did that at work and on one of my home machines to fix a TON of bugs.

The probles was with Vista. It was blocking this site. I was using XP and it worked fine. The Internet service procider led me through a fix that cured the problem with this site and many others.

Upgrade your vista machine to XP. Did that at work and on one of my home machines to fix a TON of bugs.

If you purchased a new unit with Vista installed, it will be helpful to make certain that all of the installed hardware (such as the display and sound) have XP drivers available before you upgrade to XP. Some vendors of brand new hardware devices have made only Vista drivers available and reportedly have no intention of creating XP drivers.

If you purchased a new unit with Vista installed, it will be helpful to make certain that all of the installed hardware (such as the display and sound) have XP drivers available before you upgrade to XP. Some vendors of brand new hardware devices have made only Vista drivers available and reportedly have no intention of creating XP drivers.

This appears to be more of a myth than it appears at first.

I was told this for the 30 or so machines we ordered from HP at work, until I asked for an RMA and then talked with a manager who suddenly had the drivers available.

After doing a little research on the web, all but the most esoteric (read: cheap) hardware has XP drivers available.