Pokey Plodder Fun!

Harriet the Spy

Pokey Plodders Go to Purgatory!

Johnny Cache 79 (aka Machete Man) has agreed to lead a hike up Mount Pilchuck (EraSeek's

Purgatory cache is somewhere up there) on August 8. He wants to meet at the trailhead at 8 a.m. There's still snow above the 2500' level, but the rangers guesstimate that the snow level will recede to about 7500' by that time. Please post any questions you have and stay tuned for details!

Hopefully there will be a PP event for us non-hikers on the same day.

Cross posted in the HOTM thread.

I guess I'll take a moment to increase the interest a little bit.

I have a new signature item I'm releasing on this month's hike. It's actually a two part sig item, with the primary sig item going to the targeted cache and the secondary sig item going to the other caches along the way. Everybody who joins will also recieve a copy of the secondary sig item.

These are customized to the HOTM of the month. with mo/yr and the name of the hike. Previews at Red Hook last week were well received.

And just so I'm not tooting my own horn on the creative horn, the credit goes towards my wife for working out the idea.

Edited by TotemLake

Johnny Cache 79 (aka Machete Man) has agreed to lead a hike up Mount Pilchuck (EraSeek's

Purgatory cache is somewhere up there) on August 8. He wants to meet at the trailhead at 8 a.m. There's still snow above the 2500' level, but the rangers guesstimate that the snow level will recede to about 7500' by that time. Please post any questions you have and stay tuned for details!

Is that Friday August 8th or some other August 8th?

Is that Friday August 8th or some other August 8th?

Why, yes, I believe that is correct LR, it is Friday August 8.

Yep--it's FRIDAY, August 8. Caching first--on your own or with Johnny Cache 79--then a picnic at the Ice Caves Picnic Area. Those who don't want to do any hiking (or who want get started on making Christmas presents) may bring their knitting to the picnic area--even if they can't knit yet. Pokey Plodders Picnic Potluck and Purling Practice was too long for a cache title, though. Contact me if you're puzzled about this!

Edited by GrievousAngel

Did somebody say Jello shots?? ;)

On a slightly more serious note, after reading through this thread and talking with Spy, I got my Plod-On! So, I’m in and will sponsor an event in the Wellington/Tye/Iron Goat Trail/Stevens Pass area some weekend in September, AFTER Labor Day. Depending on how we decide to do it, it could involve camping/berry picking/bicycles, or ??? And it’s quite possible that, because of the location, some folks from the dry side/Wenatchee area could join in the fun. Now . . . who wants to place more caches up there when the snow melts???? I’m already excited!! ;)

Anything in the works yet Flutey? This is one I've been looking forward to. I've got an idea for an event in September (not a Pokey Plodder) that I'm thinking about & don't want to pick a conflicting date. I also remember something was spoken about a CITO event possibly that month too?

Hike & Picnic on Friday, August 8

New Cachers Welcome!

We're having a no-host

picnic event cache this Friday, August 8, at the Ice Caves picnic area along the Mountain Loop Highway. There are lots of opportunities for hiking/caching--easy to super-difficult--so everyone should be able to find a new, fun hike. (For suggestions, check out Sassy's THE [TrailHeads Extraordinaire] series.)

If you'd like to hike Mount Pilchuck (and hunt caches on the way) with a couple of experienced hikers before the picnic, let Johnny Cache 79 know. He and a small band of intrepid cachers are planning to make the climb. I called the Verlot Public Service Center a few minutes ago, and the latest report is that there's patchy snow for the last mile. In Johnny's last post to the cache page, he recommends hiking poles and/or Yax Trax.

The event is the picnic; you're welcome to come whether you hike or drive the beautiful Mountain Loop Highway, but the Pilchuck hike should be a lot of fun, too.

Did somebody say Jello shots?? :)

On a slightly more serious note, after reading through this thread and talking with Spy, I got my Plod-On! So, I’m in and will sponsor an event in the Wellington/Tye/Iron Goat Trail/Stevens Pass area some weekend in September, AFTER Labor Day. Depending on how we decide to do it, it could involve camping/berry picking/bicycles, or ??? And it’s quite possible that, because of the location, some folks from the dry side/Wenatchee area could join in the fun. Now . . . who wants to place more caches up there when the snow melts???? I’m already excited!! :lol:

Anything in the works yet Flutey? This is one I've been looking forward to. I've got an idea for an event in September (not a Pokey Plodder) that I'm thinking about & don't want to pick a conflicting date. I also remember something was spoken about a CITO event possibly that month too?

The Wellington/Tye/Iron Goat/Stevens Pass thing is currently NOT in the works. However, the CITO still is, and is tentatively scheduled for September 20 -- a Saturday -- at Blue Stilly Park. I'm still having discussions with WDFW -- but even with the obstacle they just may have thrown my way (today, no less!) it still seems do-able.

Save the date!

October 18th the Pokey's are tenatively scheduled to have a traditional brown bag breakfast event at Wallace Falls State Park. Back to morning coffee, story swapping, travel bug trading and a sneak out and grab a cache before the family wakes up.

Afterwards if you are interested I am going to try to find somebody who will do the car shuffle. Parking at Half the Distance to Wallace GC1CD7H and wandering down to the State Park and hopefully somebody can drive me back up to get my car! According to JB's log it was paved all the way.

I am hoping the leaves will be changing, and there will be a color show!

YaY!! We are officially Waking up at Wallace!

If anybody wants to join me in car shuffling after the event I would be really happy! I have talked to forty and eight. He says that its about 4 1/2 miles or so to the lake, and then downhill to the state park. It will be the most mileage we have done, but most of the miles will be down hill from the lake to the park. The elevation gain is 1200 feet but its stretched out over 4 miles so you won't even notice it! If I can get my BIG bahookey there I know anybody can. I may be slow but I am going to get there!

Also we are doing the pokiest thing of all this month. Stich and *itching I am not a knitter so if just want to do the latter part of the event you are welcome to join me!

After talking to people MUCH MUCH smarter than me. I have decided that going the back way in probably isn't the best idea. So instead after the event I am going to start at the trailhead in the state park, and go up to Hiking Wallace. Taking the DNR road up to the Greg Ball trail to the woody trail. Allanon pointed out that the gates don't open until 8 Am so the event itself is being bumped to 8am to 9:30 or whenever you get done having fun!

Sorry for the confusion!!

:lol: I am so excited for tomorrow! There are 2 brand new caches in the Wallace Falls state park that I have added to my bookmark list. Thanks Turn180!!

Weather tomorrow is partly sunny with a high of 59. It might rain tonight so the trail is probably going to be a little wet tomorrow.

According to my Best Hikes with Children book the trail is 4 miles round trip with 880 feet of elevation.

See you guys bright and early at 8am!

If you want to get a head start on working off Thanksgiving before it arrives Three Bottles is Pokey Plodding in Bellingham!

Lake Padden. Those BUGZ are crazy! Its going to be tons of fun!!