Yahoo ads

Navig8r

I read in another topic (now locked) that ads have been removed as of the 16th.

I am here on the forums for the first time in a long time, because today, I began to see the Yahoo ads.

Why?????

I can understand ads, in fact, I bought my GPSr from a link from Geocaching.com.

I HATE the Yahoo ads being inserted between the cache listings. :)

As stupid as it may sound, that is incredibly annoying to me.

Whats the deal with the Yahoo ads??? Removed or not???

On another topic, I too was having Mega problems with the Google Maps.. glad to see the "old maps" are coming back! :ph34r:

I read in another topic (now locked) that ads have been removed as of the 16th.

I am here on the forums for the first time in a long time, because today, I began to see the Yahoo ads.

Why?????

I can understand ads, in fact, I bought my GPSr from a link from Geocaching.com.

I HATE the Yahoo ads being inserted between the cache listings. :)

As stupid as it may sound, that is incredibly annoying to me.

Whats the deal with the Yahoo ads??? Removed or not???

On another topic, I too was having Mega problems with the Google Maps.. glad to see the "old maps" are coming back! :ph34r:

Are you sure you were logged in? :)

Could swear that I was set up to "auto-renew"... but apparently not... how would I check that, anyway....

Oh well... off to renew.

It would be nice if, when logging in, you got messages, not just via E-mail..... Kinda like how E-bay (or many other forums/sites) do it.

Why do people freak out about advertising on this site? What site do you go to that *doesn't* have ads on it? Go to your local newspaper or TV station site and you can barely read the content with all of the ads in the way. I think the ads here are unobtrusive and targeted correctly.

Why do people freak out about advertising on this site? What site do you go to that *doesn't* have ads on it? Go to your local newspaper or TV station site and you can barely read the content with all of the ads in the way. I think the ads here are unobtrusive and targeted correctly.

Agreed!!!

...even better...before we "Freak Out"...how about we sit down and relax before we decide to write something...(this would be about anything, not just the ad hubbub lately)...

Agreed!!!

...even better...before we "Freak Out"...how about we sit down and relax before we decide to write something...(this would be about anything, not just the ad hubbub lately)...

I think that a reason to "freak out" over ads is that one of the benefits of being a premium member is not being bombarded with them. If I'm paying for a service, I shouldn't have to pay again by having ads forced on me when I use the site.

Question: Do you pay for your access to the newspaper or TV station sites? I seriously doubt it.

Agreed!!!

I think that a reason to "freak out" over ads is that one of the benefits of being a premium member is not being bombarded with them. If I'm paying for a service, I shouldn't have to pay again by having ads forced on me when I use the site.

Question: Do you pay for your access to the newspaper or TV station sites? I seriously doubt it.

Newspaper Sites: If I had a subscription to the local site then the answer would be yes :) ...currently, I pay for the paper version!!!

TV Stations: If I had cable, I would be...but I live in a rural area and pay for slow internet instead...

Sounds like a fair deal to me... :):D:):D:)

PS...even the internet provider that I am paying so I can have internet access has adds...even though I am paying for the service...

Since the beginning, I have been opposed to the ads on the pages. But if that is what TPTB feel is necessary to give us the website we have had, so be it. I would prefer that Premium Members not get them at all (none in the forums, main page, etc... even), but this has been discussed before, and they feel they need to put them there.

There was a lot of hubbub about it in the beginning, TPTB did what they wanted, and we still have the ads. Fits well with what one person in authority I have dealt with seems to believe... kind of like the mythbusters t-shirt "I reject your reality and substitute my own". Do what you want, and people will eventually learn to live with it.

Oh well...

I rarely notice the ads anymore. I can't think of many websites that don't have ads these days. I don't know what the non premium members see, but from what I've seen, they aren't intrusive at all and they seem to do a good job of making them relevant to what you're looking at. What I loathe are the ads on other sites that come out of nowhere and cover up what you're reading. If GC had those, then I'd complain!!