what is it, from new(bie) without a clue

scp64

As a small note of caution. The triangle symbol on the stake or lath is common symbology for a control point, so I suspect it is not a corner but a surveyors traverse point set in the course of a boundary survey and NOT a corner of the property itself. The marks may be initials of the company or of the survey client. Likely the point on the ground may be a 60p nail.

Very commonly seen.

- jlw

Difficult Run is correct. And the stake appears to witness a piece of rebar that has been driven into the ground to mark the property line or corner. Very common.

Will

And, they get your hopes up! <_< I was headed up Rte 97 through Orange/Sullivan Counties NY. We had previously DNFed the two benchmarks near the Hawks Nest. And what do I see? Lots of orange paint and tape! So, I stopped on the way back. Found lots of those triangles near nails, and lots of new chiseled crosses. But nothing to mark the two disks in the area. :unsure:

frex3wv,

I know at least some private surveyors care. I was out a couple of weeks ago trying to find a 1942 bench mark that was placed in the corner of a field. While I was walking along the road, the property owner drove up and asked me what I was doing. I showed him the datasheet and ran through the usual explanation about looking for old survey markers and documenting their current status, since the last recovery report had been made 12 years ago.

He nodded and told me that his local surveyor had warned him against letting people look for the mark, since it was "only one of three" still in the area. Apparently the local surveyor had gone to great pains to hide the marks and had enlisted the cooperation of property owners to keep people away from them, because other marks in the area had been vandalized by souvenir hunters. The surveyor needed them for his local work.

The owner wasn't about to let anyone other than a surveyor near the mark! I'm not sure he would have even allowed anyone other than his surveyor.

edit: By the way, the 1995 report had been a "not found" by the US Power Squadron. The last report by the local surveyor was in 1978, 30 years ago. It appears he wants everyone, including other surveyors, to think the mark is gone.

Edited by holograph

Z15: I am curious why you say that and who than IS caring about these marks (we find) in the surveying business. (please note: no tone there! - just an honest question so I have a better understanding - since this is all so new to me)

Federal Surveyors are very interested.

Most States in my opinion do not want to have there work at Federal Standards.

But rely on the Minumum Standards for the State.