Disable Travel Bugs

ADKSherpa

Is it possible to disable or archive a travel bug, just like a cache?

For example, I have a travel bug that was washed away in a cache in Rhode Island, and is now at the bottom of Narragansett Bay. ;) The cache owner replaced the cache, so if I hadnt done something, it would have been logged in that cache forever and not really be there. I was smart enough to get the spare tag and say that I had it before I started getting e-mails saying it was missing.

Is there a way to just archive and get rid of it? If not, should there be? ;)

You cant archive a travel bug. The best thing to to is to "mark it missing". You can do this from the drop down menu on the tb page. If you use the copy tag and re-release it later, you can always "grab it" and send it on its way.

Don't see the "mark it missing" in the drop down menu. There is only one drop down menu on the TB page......so what if it's not there. None of my TB's have a "mark it missing" option. It is not on the menu that you use to log the TB. Any help.

You cant archive a travel bug. The best thing to to is to "mark it missing". You can do this from the drop down menu on the tb page. If you use the copy tag and re-release it later, you can always "grab it" and send it on its way.

Don't see the "mark it missing" in the drop down menu. There is only one drop down menu on the TB page......so what if it's not there. None of my TB's have a "mark it missing" option. It is not on the menu that you use to log the TB. Any help.

Never mind.....fond it. But they still show in a cache and not in a unkown location. Does that take a while sometimes?

Never mind.....fond it. But they still show in a cache and not in a unkown location. Does that take a while sometimes?

I did not find it. Please, explain (or "open my eyes") how to mark it missing!

I did not find it. Please, explain (or "open my eyes") how to mark it missing!

If it's your bug, on the bug page, under Travel Bug Owner Options is a pull down menu labeled 'Recalculate Distance', in there is the option "Mark Bug Missing".

A Travel Bug Graveyard is a good place to deposit it.

The one in the USA has been out of commission for over a year, presumably because it is listed as a 'Virtual' so it 'breaks the rules' about a Virtual must be visited. If you look at all the other TB Graveyards around the world, they are mystery or traditional. The owners didn't place them in the middle of the Atlantic!

It makes sense to have these graveyards, a TB can be snatched and placed there by the owner, and can still be put active if they should reappear in the future.

Given that there are plenty of 'armchair cachers' out there that do not actually visit the Caches they log, using a TB Graveyard is a darn good idea. Perhaps someone should raise a new one in the US... :smile:

A Travel Bug Graveyard is a good place to deposit it.

The one in the USA has been out of commission for over a year, presumably because it is listed as a 'Virtual' so it 'breaks the rules' about a Virtual must be visited. If you look at all the other TB Graveyards around the world, they are mystery or traditional. The owners didn't place them in the middle of the Atlantic!

It makes sense to have these graveyards, a TB can be snatched and placed there by the owner, and can still be put active if they should reappear in the future.

Given that there are plenty of 'armchair cachers' out there that do not actually visit the Caches they log, using a TB Graveyard is a darn good idea. Perhaps someone should raise a new one in the US... :smile:

What advantage do you see to using a "graveyard" over simply marking the TB missing on its page?

New general purpose travel bug graveyards won't be listed, so spare the GC number and effort of writing up a cache that the reviewer will archive. We would much rather publish a new actual geocache than archive a virtual graveyard.

The introduction of the "mark as missing" option in 2003 rendered the old graveyard solution obsolete.

Don't forget to click "Yes" to confirm that you want to mark it missing, after you've chosen that option. This keeps your from accidentally doing so.

New general purpose travel bug graveyards won't be listed, so spare the GC number and effort of writing up a cache that the reviewer will archive. We would much rather publish a new actual geocache than archive a virtual graveyard.

The introduction of the "mark as missing" option in 2003 rendered the old graveyard solution obsolete.

I stand corrected... I've never experienced the 'mark as missing' option. I assume that should such a traveller come back into circulation it can be accessed by the finder? ;)

Does it disappear from the cache it was last listed at?

Edited by careygang

I stand corrected... I've never experienced the 'mark as missing' option. I assume that should such a traveller come back into circulation it can be accessed by the finder? ;)

Yep, it is removed from the cache listing and should the bug resurface or be re-released the finder or the owner can Grab it into their possession. You can also place coins out to Unknown and people can still Discover them. Certainly easier than dropping them into an event and then logging each one back out.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I stand corrected... I've never experienced the 'mark as missing' option. I assume that should such a traveller come back into circulation it can be accessed by the finder? :ph34r:

I've just noticed that of the various TB Graveyards around the world, the Australian, Finish, Belgian, French and Portuguese ones all originated 2004 or later, only the UK and Austrian ones are 2003.

Perhaps the 'rules' are not implemented the same way in other countries? :)