Got a Palm m500

barnabasbenn

You should install the Palm desktop software on your PC. Cachemate is a good choice. GSAK is nice to have, but not a necessity. Cachemate's CMConvert will take care of the transfer from your PC to the Palm if you don't want to shell out the bucks for GSAK.

Thanks,just wanted to get some input on it,I guess the Hotsync button just sync's the pc to the palm?

If the Palm came with the software disk, don't bother installing that. Go to the Palm website and download the latest version of the software. It has new features.

I have used a Palm m500 for more than six years now. I use Cachemate on the Palm and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) on my PC. GSAK isn't necessary, unless you live in a very cache-rich area where its filtering capabilities are really appreciated.

If the Palm came with the software disk, don't bother installing that. Go to the Palm website and download the latest version of the software. It has new features.

I have used a Palm m500 for more than six years now. I use Cachemate on the Palm and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) on my PC. GSAK isn't necessary, unless you live in a very cache-rich area where its filtering capabilities are really appreciated.

Ok,great-I was just about to install the CD that came with it-after it is installed then I do a hotsync??-I know I have to do one before I get the cachemate so I can be sure my code is right

In the Palm Desktop software, you will create a user account. Then you do a HotSync. That name will be the one you use to register Cachemate. Because I ran into a problem registering Cachemate, and had to use RegAid, you might chose a single word name for the account. I used my full name and there were apparently two spaces between first and last name that complicated the registration process . . . :laughing:

In the Palm Desktop software, you will create a user account. Then you do a HotSync. That name will be the one you use to register Cachemate. Because I ran into a problem registering Cachemate, and had to use RegAid, you might chose a single word name for the account. I used my full name and there were apparently two spaces between first and last name that complicated the registration process . . . :laughing:

K-done my HotSync and it has my name there now-saw that some people are having problems with the update version for palm so I did install the version that came on the cd-also after I unzip cachemate how hard is it to get it on my palm-sorry for all the questions but I knew yall had experience with this

K-done my HotSync and it has my name there now-saw that some people are having problems with the update version for palm so I did install the version that came on the cd-also after I unzip cachemate how hard is it to get it on my palm-sorry for all the questions but I knew yall had experience with this

I don't remember the process of installing Cachemate, but I recall it being pretty easy.

The GSAK/Cachemate combo, although not free, like Spinner and Plucker, is very easy-to-use. Some people who use Plucker, use the Sunrise Desktop. Apparently that works better, but since I have always used GSAK and Cachemate, without any difficulties, I haven't tried those other programs.

The GSAK/Cachemate combo, although not free, like Spinner and Plucker, is very easy-to-use. Some people who use Plucker, use the Sunrise Desktop. Apparently that works better, but since I have always used GSAK and Cachemate, without any difficulties, I haven't tried those other programs.

Do you mean you need GSAK and Cachemate? Does that still involve multi steps? I also have to expamd the zip file in explorer..

When you get the zip file, you simply open it in GSAK, no need to Unzip. Then, you filter the caches the way you want, if you need to filter them. After that, you simply Export a .pdb file for Cachemate. GSAK puts that file where it needs to be for the next HotSync. Easy Peasy. :unsure:

So GSAK gives you the option to create the .pdb file? Where does one get GSAK and Cachemate?

Is cachemate easy to use? I have a Zire 71 with plucker. I download the query, put it thru Spinner, then to plucker (which takes a while) then to my palm.

I used Plucker/Spinner for a while and rarely updated my PDA because I thought it was a pain. Cachemate is much easier to deal with. A few mouse clicks, a Hotsync and you're done.