I can't get the two coordinates lined up...Help!

Thedaviesnisus

I received a Magellan Explorist 100 for my birthday this week. I have tried several different caches, and to my dismay haven't been able to get both coordinates to line up to where there is any caches. My kids were quite excited, but now with so many 'no finds' they're losing interest. Can anyone help with any suggestions?

thanks in advance, for your help.

I received a Magellan Explorist 100 for my birthday this week. I have tried several different caches, and to my dismay haven't been able to get both coordinates to line up to where there is any caches. My kids were quite excited, but now with so many 'no finds' they're losing interest. Can anyone help with any suggestions?

It sounds like you're trying to find a cache by looking at the coordinate read-out. What you need to do is enter the cache coordinates as a waypoint, and let your GPS navigation page guide you to it. I'll let a Magellan owner fill in the details.

Edited by Prime Suspect

See what your manual says about entering waypoints and then using the GOTO function, but I can tell you that I did find my first 100 or more caches by using just the coordinate readout. You just have to have a good idea of where the cache is based on the map and the clues, and then when you get close, move straight directionally and see how the numbers change, then adjust accordingly. Don't forget that most GPSr are only accurate up to 30 ft and also those things are hidden really well. Don't worry, the more you find the easier it gets, and also it is a lot more fun using the GO TO function and following the arrow.

I believe, from my days of using a Magellan MAP, you will need to hold down the MARK button if you want to manually enter coordinates. It will come up with your current location, then you just have to change the numbers to mark the coordinates you are looking for. Then you will be able to get a directional pointer guiding you in a straight line to the cache. Be aware: mindlessly following the straight line on a GPSr is a really good way to fall in a ravine, wind up in a river, or get run over in traffic. The arrow tells you where the cache is, you have to figure out how to get there. Not that I've done anything like that before ... :D

Also, when you get close to the cache coordinates, put away the unit and start looking for places where you would hide something. Remember that there is always an error in your unit as well as the hider's unit so don't expect to see the cache exactly at the point where you get to zero distance from the cache. Look for the obvious spot or for something that does not look quite right.

My kids were quite excited, but now with so many 'no finds' they're losing interest. Can anyone help with any suggestions?

Pick some easy caches for some confidence builders. After a couple of easy finds - 1 star difficulty, you'll get the hang of it and they'll get hooked.