CacheMate (or something like it) for a BlackBerry Curve?

Hey all - I just got a new BlackBerry Curve and love it. I'm getting ready to go out and check the Geocache Navigator in a sec.

One thought I had, though, is: what do I do in an area without Internet/cell service? I've used CacheMate with my Palm T/X for a while now, but I'd like to reduce the number of things I'm lugging around with me. From what I've been able to gather online, it doesn't appear there's a version of CacheMate for the BlackBerry yet.

So what can I do? Since gc.com stopped doing the Mobipocket ebook files, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to get cache info. (descriptions, hints, etc.) onto my BlackBerry such that I could use it offline if necessary.

Is there some other type of export I could do from GSAK that would be viewable on my BlackBerry via some other type of application?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

... and if you really want to go back to using Mobipocket ebook files, there is a GSAK macro that generate them for you.

You can find that macro here

Thanks for the heads up on this solution! I tried and it works for me as a "back up" solution. It's not nearly as elegant as CacheMate. The ebook file is much harder to navigate, but it does have all the info. there in a pinch. I sent an email to the guys at CacheMate re: a BlackBerry version and only got a simple "no" in reply, so I don't know if they're considering one or not. I sure hope so, but the lack of customer service as expressed in their email to me does not give me much hope. Oh well . . . Hopefully Geocache Navigator and the gc.com WAP site will serve me well most of the time! Thanks again for the replies!

... and if you really want to go back to using Mobipocket ebook files, there is a GSAK macro that generate them for you.

You can find that macro here

This is the way to go. Works GREAT on my 8830.

GPX to GSAK, GSAK to my 8830 and the same file to my GPSMap 76CSx. Couldn't be easier.

OK, Stupid question but I'm brand new to this. I also have the 8830 same scenario....but what is GSAK. I think the GPX is the file on geocaching.com (correct me if I don't have that right).

I know how you feel about not lugging around extra things. But I started using my Treo 650 when I first went paperless, and quickly decided if something happened, (and it has) PDA's are cheap, the Treo ain't.

My phone (soon to be a BB, either Curve or Pearl) stays in a Drypak bag in my messenger bag, and my "cheap" Zire 31 is constantly in and out.

PP4x4

I have an otter box for my BB curve. Love it. It is well protected from the elements when I am out in the rain and snow. It is not water proof though. So a dunk in the river is a no, no. But it does keep the phone protected from drops and such.

Check it out at otterbox.com

I use the boxes for a variety of equipment while kayaking. :o

cacheberry woks really well - you can then open your email and load the gpx file in. gives all the logs details and hint-

also has a data base to store your finds. I use it on my blackberry and love it !

I use cacheberry also and i love it (5 cache's so far). It is better than Navigator because it is only a one time fee, not monthly or yearly.

cacheberry woks really well - you can then open your email and load the gpx file in. gives all the logs details and hint-

also has a data base to store your finds. I use it on my blackberry and love it !

I use cacheberry also and i love it (5 cache's so far). It is better than Navigator because it is only a one time fee, not monthly or yearly.

you can load single GPX files directly into cacheberry from geocaching.com and you find the nearest to you as long as you have internet access.

I've found 94 with Cacheberry and my Storm. You can download single gpx files from the gc.com website, but typically I download pocket queries with 500 caches in them and load them into a database on Cacheberry. You can have multiple databases as well, so I have my home area database, a "road trip" database when I'll be out travelling during the week, and just prepared our "to Florida" database with caches within a 1/4 mile of the interstate on our way down.

With the database features on Cacheberry, you don't need to worry about an internet/cell signal. It is a bargain at $14.95. Try the 30 day trial on it, as well as GeocacheNavigator.