DVD vs Micro SD for City Navigator

I am looking for the pros and cons of both platforms.

Given that a DVD is usable on the PC I haven't had any need for that type of interaction. The only time I have ever used the DVD was to burn the chip for my GPSr, theVista Cx. And now that DVDs only allow one license for one unit. Does it make more sense to get the preburned micro SD and use it between units, as I have a new 60Csx and the aforementioned older Vista Cx for a back up. Are the preburned chips really interchangeable between units? Wishful thinking says the Colorado, in year or two...right.

When you unlock a map, the serial # of the GPS gets tagged on Garmin's servers to the unlock code; so, you can't read the maps on another GPS by swapping out memory cards.

The reason I would get a DVD is to install the maps on a computer to be able to use MapSource. From what I've read on other threads, you can't upload maps from the GPS into MapSource. I rely on MapSource to plan my caching trip and transfer all the waypoints into Google Earth. Additionally, I use MapSource and Google Earth to draw up tracks. It can be done without installing maps in MapSource, but's it easier with the detailed streets and such.

Welcome to the Forums! :)

I use my maps on my computer all the time, so I can't imagine being limited to just having the maps on the memory card on my GPSr.

I download the Tracks and waypoints from my GPSr to the maps after each Geocaching adventure. I have also used the maps to create routes for the "Caches Along A Route" feature of this site.

I think if you got the DVD, you would be surprised how useful the maps on your compter/s will be. :grin:

When you unlock a map, the serial # of the GPS gets tagged on Garmin's servers to the unlock code; so, you can't read the maps on another GPS by swapping out memory cards.

The reason I would get a DVD is to install the maps on a computer to be able to use MapSource. From what I've read on other threads, you can't upload maps from the GPS into MapSource. I rely on MapSource to plan my caching trip and transfer all the waypoints into Google Earth. Additionally, I use MapSource and Google Earth to draw up tracks. It can be done without installing maps in MapSource, but's it easier with the detailed streets and such.

The comment above is true about licenses from DVDs being associated with a particular unit, when they are unlocked as the loading software reports back to the servers at Garmin but...aren't the maps on preburned chips "locked" to the chip? Besides if I plugged and played the chip in my GPSr how would the preburned chip communicate with Garmin about the unit it is in?

Any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

The pre-loaded maps are apparently not "locked" to any GPS unit. So, if you had a couple of GPS units for different purposes, you could swap out the cards. Or, if you think you will be upgrading next year, the card will work on the new GPS unit.

The usefulness of the Mapsource maps on my computer would force me to buy a new Unlock Code, should I upgrade my GPS unit. Now, if someone has NG TOPO! or Streets and Trips, then perhaps having Mapsource maps on their computer wouldn't be as important.

The pre-loaded maps are apparently not "locked" to any GPS unit. So, if you had a couple of GPS units for different purposes, you could swap out the cards. Or, if you think you will be upgrading next year, the card will work on the new GPS unit.

The usefulness of the Mapsource maps on my computer would force me to buy a new Unlock Code, should I upgrade my GPS unit. Now, if someone has NG TOPO! or Streets and Trips, then perhaps having Mapsource maps on their computer wouldn't be as important.

They must do something to the maps on them or folks would be just cloning the cards for others. Can somebody verify if the cards are associated exclusively with 1 unit??

Also - I think the DVD version would be much better to be able to use the excellent PC functions of the product including tools for building customized routes to use with geocaching.com's caches along a route feature.