SD card topo to Mapsource

desmo13

I might not be correct about this but I think that programs provided on SD card are only viewable on the GPS.

This is one reason I prefer to buy ALL my software on CD or DVD.

I'm not sure if you can import it from your GPS to your computer or access it from your computer on the SD card...

edited to add;

I also heard that lots of software providers like using SD cards since apparently you can't copy from that one card to another card, similar to copy protection on a CD but more incidious. Something about being linked directly to a SD card's erial number or a GPS's serial number or something similar.

Edited by trainlove

i've never purchased map on SD card but...

i am guessing you can either insert to memory card reader or your gps unit and from mapsource... tell it to receive from GPS? and select maps?

have you tried this simple method ?

Yes, I examined the file on a card reader, different formats than what is allowed to be imported to mapsource.

I think there needs to be a imprt conversion somewhere

You can't view the maps in MapSource. You can't back up the files. You can't copy the card.

The card only works in the GSP unit.

Well that sucks .. :) I was looking around for this exact question before I posted.I purchased a city navigator 2008 sd card last week..It just arrived today.

I'm guessing the same is true for this card too?:) I shoulda done my homework first I see :)

Edited by We Gotta Hunt

Hello,

GPSMAP 60CSx, US Topo 2008 West Regional SD

I just got the micro SD for my region. It came on a 512mb card and after making sure it worked in my gps I took it out and copied the complete sd to my desktop then took a blank sd and made a backup. I am now using the back up in my GPS and have the original in a safe place. So I guess you can make a copy, However you can't view it on mapsource :( and be VERY carefull if you save to your card from your gpsr you can overwrite the original contents. Now I wish I could find a way to make my gpsr save to a specific place on the card I would be very happy and everything would be safe on the card.

Hope this helps

Ron

Hello,

I just got the micro SD for my region. It came on a 512mb card and after making sure it worked in my gps I took it out and copied the complete sd to my desktop then took a blank sd and made a backup. I am now using the back up in my GPS and have the original in a safe place. So I guess you can make a copy, However you can't view it on mapsource :( and be VERY carefull if you save to your card from your gpsr you can overwrite the original contents. Now I wish I could find a way to make my gpsr save to a specific place on the card I would be very happy and everything would be safe on the card.

Hope this helps

Ron

Being a Magellan user with MapSend Topo I can say that the SD is treated as a drive. When you save waypoints, routes or tracks to it from the GPS it saves it to whatever filename you give it. If you try to use a filename that already exists on the card it warns you about that. Now on the otherhand, saving maps from the computer to the SD card wants to use it's pre-canned filename for detailed maps. But nobody ever saves maps from computer to the GPS over the serial port. They save it to their hard drive and you then copy it to the SD card using your SD card reader. I'm unsure about the Garmin world in all this respect, but know you can't save waypoints on SD card, what a limitation.

Hello,

Hope this helps

Ron

You might be able to do what you want by following the instructions in this Silly Garmin POI Tricks thread, depending on how much room there is left on the card. I have no idea about saving Tracks to the map card ;)