Caching a route with google maps and eart

c&s 143

I am trying to set up a route from point A to point B. When I go to Google Maps or Google Earth and enter the start/destination info, I get a route that goes south along one interstate then east along another. However, I want to go the more direct route using state roads and through smaller towns. I can do this on Google Maps by dragging the route line. Works great. However, I can't do that with Earth. I have found a way to get the route into Google Earth but it does not work quite right since it will not give me the turn-by-turn directions to export to a .KML file for caching a route on geocaching.

My ultimate goal is to get my non-interstate route put together in a .KML to upload to the caching along a route on geocaching.com. Does anyone know how to do this? It would be much easier than manually searching for caches.

Thanks!

Craig

C&S 143

I have the same problem with Google Earth, it seems rather limited in allowing you to choose shortest/quickest/scenic/preferred routes. So much so, in fact, that I had to resort to making two or more shorter routes to get the results I wanted, which pushed the PQ count up.

There are mapping programs that you can dictate routes on, S&T and one other, Mapquest I believe, have Markwell tutorials on them. The S&T option required another program to wash the results through to make them usuable. I preferred a faster way, and am still seeking.

Do you have a Garmin GPS?? The free Trips and waypoint manager will allow you to do a custom route and then use GPSbabbel to convert to a GPX file for upload to the site.

I do have a garmin. Is this software on the garmin site? I have taken a look and can't find it. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Craig

C&S 143

Do you have a Garmin GPS?? The free Trips and waypoint manager will allow you to do a custom route and then use GPSbabbel to convert to a GPX file for upload to the site.

I do have a garmin. Is this software on the garmin site? I have taken a look and can't find it. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Craig

C&S 143

Sorry - comes free with some of the garmin models when you buy them.

Thanks.

Craig

C&S 143

Sorry - comes free with some of the garmin models when you buy them.

I went through the box I have and it isn't in there. I have the Nuvi 660 (planning to get a 60CSx in the next month or so). It must not come with that model.

Do you know of any other options?

Craig

C&S 143

To do this in Google Earth break your route up into segments to follow the path you want and save each segment as a separate KML with a unique name. Keep track of the sequence of files because the data needs to be kept in order from the start of your route to the end (A to B, B to C, C to D, etc.)

The KML files files are in plain text and can be edited with simple text editors like Notepad or Wordpad. You'll notice that each file consists of a header with a few lines of information, then a long list of coordinates for the route then a footer with a few lines of information.

Open the file for the first segment of your route and save it under a new name ( for example MyRoute.kml). Open the file for the second segment of your route and copy the coordinates between the <coordinates> and </coordinates> tags. Paste this data into the MyRoute.kml file after the existing coordinates and before the </coordinates> tag. Repeat for as many segments/files as you have being sure to save the MyRoute.kml file once it is complete.

Upload this KML file into the "Caches along a Route" and you're done.

To do this in Google Earth break your route up into segments to follow the path you want and save each segment as a separate KML with a unique name. Keep track of the sequence of files because the data needs to be kept in order from the start of your route to the end (A to B, B to C, C to D, etc.)

The KML files files are in plain text and can be edited with simple text editors like Notepad or Wordpad. You'll notice that each file consists of a header with a few lines of information, then a long list of coordinates for the route then a footer with a few lines of information.

Open the file for the first segment of your route and save it under a new name ( for example MyRoute.kml). Open the file for the second segment of your route and copy the coordinates between the <coordinates> and </coordinates> tags. Paste this data into the MyRoute.kml file after the existing coordinates and before the </coordinates> tag. Repeat for as many segments/files as you have being sure to save the MyRoute.kml file once it is complete.

Upload this KML file into the "Caches along a Route" and you're done.

That worked! Thanks!

Craig

C&S 143