Injuries hampering caching ability

supertbone

Ok folks, I am a few caches away from the 1,000 milestone. I had two goals for this milestone:

1) To get it on a 5 star terrain cache and

2 ) To get it by the end of 2007.

Several weeks ago I started feeling popping in my right knee and major discomfort along with it. An MRI discolsed some ligament tears. The pain and advice of my doctors has kept me from doing anything other that park & grabs. I will probably be having surgery. Recovery may take some time even with out surgery. So I am stuck at a cross roads, to give up on finding until I recover so I can get the 1,000 mark on an 5/5 cache, or stick with 1.5 terrain (2 if I push myself) caches to get the 1k mark by the end of the week.

At this point I am almost ready to give up on the high terrain goal since I cannot stop caching. Yes, I am addicted. Though I prefer well hidden ammo cans in more rural environments, I stll like finding caches, including the much hated LPCs.

What would you do?

Edited by supertbone

Ok folks, I am a few caches away from the 1,000 milestone. I had two goals for this milestone:

Several weeks ago I started feeling popping in my right knee and major discomfort along with it. An MRI discolsed some ligament tears. The pain and advice of my doctors has kept me from doing anything other that park & grabs. I will probably be having surgery. Recovery may take some time even with out surgery. So I am stuck at a cross roads, to give up on finding until I recover so I can get the 1,000 mark on an 5/5 cache, or stick with 1.5 terrain (2 if I push myself) caches to get the 1k mark by the end of the week.

At this point I am almost ready to give up on the high terrain goal since I cannot stop caching. Yes, I am addicted. Though I prefer well hidden ammo cans in more rural environments, I stll like finding caches, including the much hated LPCs.

What would you do?

You could build up to the 5. Do a 1/1 for 1000, a 2/2 for 2000, a 3/3 for 3000, until you reach 5/5 for 5000.

:unsure:

Or just not worry about it and try to find a cache which is meaningful to you beyond the terrain and difficulty designations. Maybe one placed by a good friend or respected local. Or a cache in a favorite park or with some great views and a neat location.

-J

Edited by Jennifer&Dean

Do what you can without any more injury. Sorry to read of this, and of the possible need for surgury. Had both of my knees invaded years ago, and neither give any more trouble. Good luck with yours.

Just a thought, after surgury you will be extremely sore and limit your walking for a month or so. What a great time to put your creativity to work and come up with some really wicked camo jobs for your future hides!

Sorry to hear of your injury.

A cache requiring the use of special equipment qualifies to have a five star rating, so you might consider looking for one where a boat is required. That is if you have a boat or a friend with a boat AND a suitable cache within striking distance.

Good luck.

What would you do?

I can totally relate as I am finding myself in a similar situation. I am a newbie (only 7 finds and still don't own a GPSr) but am already totally addicted. I am eagerly awaiting the purchase of my GPSr (waiting for a Triton to make it to a local store) and I was all gung-ho about racing out and geocaching immediately. But then my right knee started to bother me. I put a brace on it and thought it woudl get better. Two weeks now and it gives out, tries to bend the wrong way and hurts if I try to straighten it. I have a Dr appt on Friday (holidays are HARD to get an appointment!). I have decided that I absolutely CAN NOT stand to stop geocaching until its all figured out and healed, so I am going to do park-n-grabs as long as I am allowed to drive (or if I can convince my husband to take pity on me and drive me to them). lol.

Now, the decision was easier for me, because i'm not near an important milestone. It would be harder if I had made plans for a specific milestone. I guess it comes down to which would bother you more in the long run?. It's obvious that you can't complete #1000 with both goals. Would it drive you completely insane to have to push your plans back until you're recovered....or if you go ahead and do PnG's will you later regret your 1000th find not being an extreme sport experience? Maybe you could do something else to make your 1000th just as memorable but in a different way. Like, get some friends to take a pics of you with your 1000th find on your crutches, or celebrate the 1oooth with a milestone geocoin or other reward to yourself, along with vowing to do the 5 terrain cache on your 1500th instead?

Prudence would dictate keeping within low stress finds. Further injury to your already hampered knee could result in a more permanent disability and inability to do ANY 5 star EVER!

When did you start caching (first log date)? Maybe make that anniversary your target date instead of the calendar. Depending on healing & rehabilitation time, how about Summer Solstice (06/21/08) or maybe the earlier Vernal Equinox (03/20/08) ?

RATTLEBARS

(first find was a Mystery Cache 02/05/05 [GC7155])

I would go for the 5 star terrain cache. You'll only hit 1,000 once.

But then again, I'm typing this with my left foot in a cast and crutches leaning against the desk because I went against the Dr's advice and was out hiking and caching when I was supposed to be taking things easy.

BTW, 5 star terrain cache needn't be that hard. Find someone with a canoe and go for one on an island. No pressure on the knees and you've attained your goal.

What would you do?

I had ACL reconstruction surgery 8 weeks ago, so I know how you feel and will feel. My advice is to be true to yourself and wait. It would be great to have a goal of getting that 1000th cache the way that you envisioned doing it while you are doing weeks of physical therapy after the surgery. If you are talking about a true 5 terrain (without special equipment) then it may be awhile, but the wait is well worth it! Good luck! :back:

What would you do?

While we all are playing the same game, there is nobody on this earth that is invested in your game like you are. In fact, you are lucky if anyone other than someone very very close to you is going to care at all how you choose to play this game. I don't say this to be cruel, I say this to encourage you to be true to yourself and your own game and only you can answer this question you asked correctly.

I think your situation demonstrates something very unique about Geocaching. It is one of the few physical activities that is truly a lifetime game. If it is your desire you can adjust your game to your current circumstance and just continue playing.

Since you asked... if it were me, I would use this recovery time to hone the skills within my limitations. Work on that tricky hide that you've been thinking about, learn a new mapping program, consider some puzzles that you have put aside, maybe take an extra picture or two when you find a cache, or write a little longer log when you find a cache.

Definitely hit 1k before 2007 is over! That is a great milestone and don't consider the last cache but consider ALL the caches in sum that you found to get you to that number.

Bravo for your achievement and good luck on your surgery.

as someone said, you can get a 5 star rating cache if a boat is required without pushing yourself. Personally, I wouldn't risk injury by pushing beyond what is safe.

For example, I really wanted to get to one of Team GeoBlast's great caches a couple weeks ago, but realized I simply was not up to the challenge... would've been nice, but (to me) it's just not worth injury or worse to go beyond what you are capable of.

:back:

I have had two knee surgeries (on the same knee) and doing pretty well now. I understand your frustration. I think you need to book a trip to the Bahamas and do a scuba cache :back: Swimming is generally not too hard on the knees. Of course finding someone with a canoe and doing an island cache is probably a lot cheaper.

Good luck with your knee, whatever you decide to do.!

The best advice I can give you is what I have learned from experience. Unfortunately my injury was not a knee injury, but a torn rotator cuff. I know how important number 1000 is, but you must know your limitations and do not risk further injury or your healing process will take longer. I know how hard it is to walk away from something you love, but sometimes you have to do it for the benefit of your health no matter how much you miss it. I kept trying to come back from my injury too soon causing more damage and increased recovery time. It has been 2 years and it is a long and painful process. For me to walk away from bowling after 25 years was tough and don't know if I will ever play again. But hopefully you will do the right thing so that you can score that 5 and keep on caching! B) Good Luck! B)