Best way to start out for a cache..

team lagonda

Wait for a cloudless day ? line up a sighted magnetic compass first once on site ? be sure to wait for the satilites to give lowest feet accuracy ? use a metal detector if its a metal micro on the ground in a in rock garden ? bring plenty of beer along in case not found..if a DNF,have a nasty post ready on how much the cords were off and the person who placed this cache doesnt know what thier doin ,,any other ideas....

Edited by team lagonda

I says just go for it.

You might use Google Earth to figure how to get to the area if you aren't familiar with it, look for landmarks, etc.

You'll want to make sure the GPS is warmed up. Give it 15 minutes or so if you haven't used it in a while, or if your location has changed significantly since the last time it was turned on. Check your EPE (Estimated Position Error) or accuracy and make sure you're below 30 feet or so, depending on your model. Clouds shouldn't play a huge factor, but buildings or rock formations may cause multipath errors which will cause funky readings.

Skip on the metal detector for finding caches, because caches aren't allowed to be buried.

Experience will teach you where the usual geocache hiding spots are. You just have to noodle it out. And make sure to read the words in the cache descriptions, titles, and hints carefully, because a lot of people will use specific words for specific reasons, and you'll find additional hints.

If you come across a particularly difficult cache and hit a DNF, you may want to read the past logs and look at the photo gallery for the cache to hunt for additional clues.

But basically you just have to get out there and do it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And remember to have fun!

Wait for a cloudless day ? line up a sighted magnetic compass first once on site ? be sure to wait for the satilites to give lowest feet accuracy ? use a metal detector if its a metal micro on the ground in a in rock garden ? bring plenty of beer along in case not found..if a DNF,have a nasty post ready on how much the cords were off and the person who placed this cache doesnt know what thier doin ,,any other ideas....

I don't do any of these things, especially the nasty note bit. I just go after the cache and 92.8% of the time the cache gets found.

Please tell me that this is a joke. :huh::blink:<_<

OMG, I hate to admit this, but I'm with TC on this one!

Step #1: Decide when you want to go

Step #2: Decide where you want to go

Step #3: Find the caches in that area

Step #4: One way or another, load them into your GPS

Step #5: Get in the general vicinity and turn on your GPS. Try using "Find nearest"

Step #6: Find it (or not)

Step #7: Rinse and repeat

Please tell me that this is a joke. :):D:(

Step #5: Get in the general vicinity and turn on your GPS. Try using "Find nearest"

Don't worry, the pain will begin to subside in a couple of days. :)B):P

Please tell me that this is a joke. :(B):P

Okayyyy, as long as we're taking the long way around: :)

Step #1: Choose your attitude with respect to your own cachin' aesthetic and your needs for that cachin' feeling.

Step #2: Decide when & where you want to go

Step #3: Look up the caches in that area and then READ the cache pages and some of the logs.

Step #4: CHOOSE the caches that appear to fit well with your aesthetic needs for the day (whatever floats ya)

Step #5: One way or another, load them into your GPS

Step #6: Get PREPARED for the hunt BEFORE you set out

Step #7: Get in the general vicinity and turn on your GPS. Try using "Find nearest"

Step #8: Find it (or not)

Step #9: Rinse and repeat

Or just do the parts in red an forget the steps. :)

And here's Google's translation of that last post, in a language more useful to its intended audience:

Warum gehen überall? Warum Gedanken über den Wolken?

Just Aufenthalt in Ihrem Sessel, trinken Sie ein Bier, und melden Sie eine virtuelle.

:(

Ah, now I understand! :)

Personally it doesn't matter if its raining cats and dogs out or 120 degrees, I go, try, come home happy and hopefully in one piece. Your experiance may very.