Heading to BC

NeverSummer

My favorite cache in Vancouver was Let’s get to know UBC! It's a long walking tour through the university campus with lots of interesting things to see.

If the weather accommodates, you can rent bicycles and do the loop around Stanley Park. Start at Good Things Come in Small Packages and work your way counter-clockwise.

You might find more information on the British Columbia Geocaching Association site. It includes a forums page.

On my most recent trip to Vancouver, I actually headed up north of the city for the first time. It's not a far drive from the city, but offers a nice view - Point Atkinson Lighthouse .

Another cache I enjoyed in the city which does live up to its title - A very interesting Fountain indeed!!!

klossner already pointed out a good one in Stanley Park. Definitely do some research on caches in that park, there are many and it's a beautiful park! It's close enough for a nice walk from downtown Vancouver.

Will you have a car, or just relying on public transportation? Are you willing to travel out of downtown -- 30 minutes or so -- to see interesting things? And lastly, when are you planning the trip -- now, next summer, or ??

Well, we're going next week, with a car and are trying to keep it relatively close to downtown. Our hotel is near Gastown, and that's about all we know. Cache advice and plain ol' stuff worth seeing would be great.

Sounds like you'd do best staying with Stanley Park and environs for caching. Pacific Science Centre is a neat spot to explore. If you want to get out of town a little, check out Steveston (a seaside fishing village near the Vancouver airport).

A fun method of public transit is the Sea Bus -- take a ride over to North Vancouver and explore the shops and restaurants.

I believe the December issue of Sunset magazine has an article on Christmassy things to see around Vancouver. Have fun!

Any idea what it takes to get across the border and back? My passport is expired, and it will take 90+ days to get the renewal done and mailed back to me...anyone...? Bueller? :D

Assuming you're driving: proof of US residency. Your driver's license will suffice (for another month or so, anyway), but ideal is to have birth certificate or passport, which are proof of US citizenship.

If flying: passport.

Edited by hydnsek

Any idea what it takes to get across the border and back? My passport is expired, and it will take 90+ days to get the renewal done and mailed back to me...anyone...? Bueller? :D

I cross the border often (although not as often as HC), I've had to deal with a lot of renewals, visas and the such and you would be amazed at how fast they come back now.

Only 10 days for both of my kid's passports and that's without the expedited transaction. Fill out the writable .pdf online, print it out and take to it and your photos and your expired passport to the post office. $30.00 to the post master and $67.00 to the State Dept in 2 separate checks and you'll have them straight away.

Dept of State link

Good luck

Assuming you're driving: proof of US residency. Your driver's license will suffice (for another month or so, anyway), but ideal is to have birth certificate or passport, which are proof of US citizenship.

Maybe, maybe not. The last time I crossed and forgot to bring my birth certificate, they told me that it was up to the discretion of the officer at the border going both ways, and that I'd be taking my chances each time. I had no trouble getting into Canada on that visit, but I had to answer a lot of questions about the state I grew up in as an alternative on the return trip.

Maybe, maybe not. The last time I crossed and forgot to bring my birth certificate, they told me that it was up to the discretion of the officer at the border going both ways, and that I'd be taking my chances each time. I had no trouble getting into Canada on that visit, but I had to answer a lot of questions about the state I grew up in as an alternative on the return trip.

Yep, you're entirely correct. I was just citing current official policy for land crossings to Canada, which don't yet require the passport / birth certificate, although it is highly recommended, as you point out.

Edited by hydnsek

Well, after the trip we got 2 caches (1 virtual...) and 2 missing, a dented bumper and broken turn signal on the Jeep (thanks to a line-jumping, slamonthegasthenslamonthebrakes, I'mgoingtojumpinwheremycardoesn'tfit jerk), and some nice pictures. Not all bad, but the fender-bender kind of killed the trip, as it happened while we were heading out of town and another out-of-towner rammed his car into a space it wouldn't fit and I had to slam on the brakes to not kill myself and the better-half. Ah, what fun.