Just getting started - shopping for GPS

kraushad

Hi all,

Brand new to the website, and avoiding the long intro will simply say that my camping/RVing family thought this activity would be great fun for us wherever we travel or even around home.

I have read a bunch, and originally thought about the Etrex Legend, but after hearing complaints about losing signals from some users, decided that I would rather spend a bit more and avoid the complaints.

Most reviews I have read on the Garmin 60CSX seem very positive, with poor stock maps and battery life being the only complaints (and even those seem infrequent).

I can get a 60CSX for $320 online brand new, with a $50 rebate currently running from Garmin through the end of the month. I am very good with rebates so $270 plus $15 shipping out the door.

This seems like a really good price for a really good unit (especially for starting out).

EDIT: After reading another thread here, it seems that many are happy with the Vista HCX for a few less bucks. What are the advantages of the 60CSX over the Vista HCX if any that make the price difference?

Opinions??

Thanks so much.

Dirk

Edited by kraushad

Welcome to the Forums! :(

Check out the Garmin Vista HCx before deciding. You might find you like the smaller size. I do. It fits in my hand comfortably while I am hiking, and if I am in town, it easily fits in my pocket.

I got the maps in a combination package with the beanbag automount and cigarette-lighter adapter for less money that those three items by themselves.

Good price for a great unit. Never had complaints about battery life with my 60CSX. I get around 20 hours. I use rechargeable anyway, it matters little to me. Yes the base map is useless, but same with any model of handheld whether Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance.

You will probably want to get mapping software down the line to get the most out of your unit. City Navigator is

a good one for the 60CSX.

Also check out the eTrex Vista HCX. It's a bit cheaper than the 60, every bit as good and in a smaller package.

The only negative for the Vista HCX is that the buttons are on the side, so it's a bit difficult to use in your vehicle for road navigation. The 60's buttons are on the front which is more conducive for vehicle use.

Thanks for the feedback - what are the major differences between the Vista HCX and the 60CXS.

I read that the Vista does not have the sirf III technology -- is that true?? In spite of that people are saying that it is as good or better than the more expensive 60CSX.

What are other differences.

Thanks for the help.

Dirk

Edited by kraushad

Okay, I finally found a place that carried both - I was able to power them up side by side, and the guy even asked me if I wanted to take them outside to try them out with the satellites.

Anyway - I will say that the 60CSX did have a substantially bigger screen. However, I definitely noticed the screen on the 60CSX was not doing it for me. I read comments about the lack of brightness on a couple of other threads, but to me the bigger problem was contrast. The colors didn't seem as vivid as the Vista HCX. I just felt like I couldn't see items and lettering as easily or clearly as I could on the Vista. I had all the settings equal - 100% on both and fresh batteries in both, so I think the comparison was fair.

Anyway after playing with them a little bit I think I like the feel of the Vista better. I definitely liked the screen better. I also liked the stick better than the soft d-pad button of the 60.

Thanks for the link to those other threads, I spent a few hours reading everything. Since I am a noob, I think either one of these will make me very happy. Plus if I go with the Vista, I can get it for $218 online, and use the extra money for a 2GB microSD and the City maps for NA.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by kraushad

Thanks for the feedback - what are the major differences between the Vista HCX and the 60CXS.

I read that the Vista does not have the sirf III technology -- is that true?? In spite of that people are saying that it is as good or better than the more expensive 60CSX.

What are other differences.

Thanks for the help.

Dirk

Don't confuse the Vista with the Vista HCX. Totally different animals. I don't know that the HCX has sirf III, but whatever it has is at least the equal of sirf III.

Okay, I finally found a place that carried both - I was able to power them up side by side, and the guy even asked me if I wanted to take them outside to try them out with the satellites.

Anyway - I will say that the 60CSX did have a substantially bigger screen. However, I definitely noticed the screen on the 60CSX was not doing it for me. I read comments about the lack of brightness on a couple of other threads, but to me the bigger problem was contrast. The colors didn't seem as vivid as the Vista HCX. I just felt like I couldn't see items and lettering as easily or clearly as I could on the Vista. I had all the settings equal - 100% on both and fresh batteries in both, so I think the comparison was fair.

Anyway after playing with them a little bit I think I like the feel of the Vista better. I definitely liked the screen better. I also liked the stick better than the soft d-pad button of the 60.

Thanks for the link to those other threads, I spent a few hours reading everything. Since I am a noob, I think either one of these will make me very happy. Plus if I go with the Vista, I can get it for $218 online, and use the extra money for a 2GB microSD and the City maps for NA.

just thought id add my two cents.. i also am a noob. and i just bought a vista HCX... i love it... and am slowly learning about more of the features it has... contrast is great...

I was talking about the Vista HCX, sorry I shortened it to Vista. Anyway, the Vista HCX does not have SiRF but has a newer chip from MediaTek, that is getting reviews as good as the SiRF from what I read...

Yep, Ordered the Vista HCX over the weekend. Suppose to ship this week. I found it a little cheaper on compuplus, but with $15 shipping. Amazon had it for $2 more, but free shipping. Trouble is, my wife is going to make me wait until Christmas to play with it!! :blink:

Oh, well, at least I know I am getting a great present! I have already scouted a bunch of caches near me...... oh boy, is this the FEVER hitting me?? :D

I was talking about the Vista HCX, sorry I shortened it to Vista. Anyway, the Vista HCX does not have SiRF but has a newer chip from MediaTek, that is getting reviews as good as the SiRF from what I read...

Yep, Ordered the Vista HCX over the weekend. Suppose to ship this week. I found it a little cheaper on compuplus, but with $15 shipping. Amazon had it for $2 more, but free shipping. Trouble is, my wife is going to make me wait until Christmas to play with it!! ;)

Oh, well, at least I know I am getting a great present! I have already scouted a bunch of caches near me...... oh boy, is this the FEVER hitting me?? :D

[/quote

I have the fever also. I ordered a 60csx last night after deciding to go with the Vista HCX to save some money. I'll be using mine off-road in my JEEP, so I decided to go with the buttons on the front. Can't wait to get it and start figuring it all out. :D