Just bought the Legend HCx

Do they have presented you the Vista HCx also with the electronic compass that help when you are close to finding it? It's great when you are standing still and just look at the unit pointing and updating where the cache is.

After I got my unit I registered as a premium and bought GSAK and I'm having fun!

Become a premium member!

Get a cover and/or glass protector.

Get a 2gb memory card.

Purchase GSAK.

Get City Navigator NT.

Get a DC power adapter.

Get a window and/or dash mount.

Uhh, wilderness walker didn't say he was rich! :laughing:

But i agree, the proper mapping software, some memory, 12v adapter, and GSAK are all good investments.

Become a premium member!

Get a cover and/or glass protector.

Get a 2gb memory card.

Purchase GSAK.

Get City Navigator NT.

Get a DC power adapter.

Get a window and/or dash mount.

Uhh, wilderness walker didn't say he was rich! :huh:

But i agree, the proper mapping software, some memory, 12v adapter, and GSAK are all good investments.

I also invested in the Legend HCX which I've been very pleased with. I bought the maps and a micro SD card to hold them, premium membership, Cachemate, a cheap Palm pilot on ebay, GSAK so that I can do paperless caching. I'm still getting the hang of it all, but feel like I'm pretty much set. I've got about $430 invested in our new hobby. It's worth the expense. Have fun.

Thanks for the info! I've been considering becoming a premium member for a couple of years now. The only thing holding me back was the birth of my first baby (I'm a she not a he, lol, I wasn't sure how my son would fit into my geocaching hobby). My first question is about the software for downloading caches. I read the list of available free ware (and, even if I was rich, I wouldn't want to throw away good money!) is there one that is better than another? Do they all work with my GPS?

Also, is this how they work . . . I download the freeware to my laptop and then I can download caches to my laptop and then load the caches onto my gps? Seems pretty ponderous if that's what you have to do.

I'm waiting on delivery of the memory card and I haven't looked at buying maps yet.

Edited by wilderness walker

I've just upgraded from my Vista to a Legend HCX. And it almost has too many bells and whistles. But over time I will get to know and appreciated all the new items that are included with this marvelous toy. Looking forward to the availability of Micro Sd Cards and maps for the unit. But for now I'll still stay with UTM's and paper maps. Now to put some coords in the thing and go find a recent DNF on one of my caches.

Wilderness Walker,

I've been at this about 9 months so certainly no expert but here's my $0.02 worth. GSAK is really nice but I don't think necessary unless you're going to be managing many many caches. So far I've made do with just using Mapsource. I open the results of my pocket queries in Mapsource do any editing and send to my GPSr. I was using paper for the cache pages but already had a pocket pc so it was an easy thing get GPx Sonar and go paperless.

Trooper

Also, is this how they work . . . I download the freeware to my laptop and then I can download caches to my laptop and then load the caches onto my gps? Seems pretty ponderous if that's what you have to do.

That about sums it up but it isn't as bad as it sounds. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly and you won't even bat an eye after a while.

I used to use EasyGPS which was free. It was pretty straightforward and easy to use but i haven't used it in a longgggggg time. Started using GSAK about 2 or 3 years ago and find that it works much better, my opinion of course. You can use GSAK for free but it does display the annoying startup nag screen after about 30 days.

Off topic,,, we too are expecting our first child. Actually she is due on the 5th of this month so we are counting the hours now. :anicute: I'm like you in that i have no idea what changes we may see as far as geocaching goes. Who knows, we might want to get together and trade ideas and suggestions as we figure out the ins and outs of Family caching! :)

Congratulations!!! :anibad:

Off topic,,, we too are expecting our first child. Actually she is due on the 5th of this month so we are counting the hours now. :laughing: I'm like you in that i have no idea what changes we may see as far as geocaching goes. Who knows, we might want to get together and trade ideas and suggestions as we figure out the ins and outs of Family caching! :mad:

Congratulations!!! :mad:

Well... When they're little (i.e., not walking) it's probably not too bad--you can put them in a stroller or front carrier, and later in a backpack (after 6 months). Once they reach toddler stage, though, family geocaching pretty much becomes a one-person exercise, because they're not yet interested in finding it (too short attention span) so one of you has to keep the toddler entertained and out of trouble. That makes it not as fun for that person (you can trade off, but still...). So, we've done easy caches that we can pick up on walks around the neighborhood, but not much else. Maybe in a year or two we can do more.