Garmin 60CSx

dickh

HI all! WE are brand new to geocaching. We bought our GPS unit yesterday--a Garmin 60CSx. It came with a basemap loaded. It also came with three mapsource discs that I THOUGHT were to be able to select various detailed maps of our area, and load them onto the GPS.

Unfortunately, I've read almost the entire manual (both the GPS manual and the Mapsource manual) cover to cover...and I still am unable to load additional maps to my GPS. It has a memory card...and I've made sure it's installed correctly. IN fact, I can SEE the memory card details on the GPS...showing nothing loaded onto it and a whole bunch of free space available.

I ran the mapsource program and installed it on my computer...and selected a detailed map or two of our area, and when I try to save it to the GPS, it seems like it works. But I don't see the map anywhwere on the GPS?? I've searched every menu on the stupid thing to no avail. I used the USB mass storage option...where it actually adds the device as Drive E on my computer. According to the manuals, it looks like that IS supposed to be the memory card. UGH. It's very frustrating.

Of course, I can't get Garmin support on the weekends...and I work in the IT field and have a feeling they might not be that much help anyway <sigh>.

Any advice for me?

Welcome to the Forums! :santa:

Were these the Topo maps you loaded to the card? I have those and they came on three CDs. I copied the contents of the Topo CDs to my computer's hard drive before doing the installation so I could have access to the maps without having to put in the CDs.

I also have the City Navigator DVD. On my GPSr, a Garmin Vista HCx, I have both sets of maps installed, but only one can be visible at a time.

When you are on the map screen of the GPS, hit Menu. Then, go to Setup Maps. From one of the options there, you can choose to Show or Hide maps after hitting Menu again. Perhaps the Topo maps are "hidden."

Garmin Technical Support is excellent, so if you still cannot figure it out, call first thing tomorrow, Central time, and they will help you out.

HI all! WE are brand new to geocaching. We bought our GPS unit yesterday--a Garmin 60CSx. It came with a basemap loaded. It also came with three mapsource discs that I THOUGHT were to be able to select various detailed maps of our area, and load them onto the GPS.

Unfortunately, I've read almost the entire manual (both the GPS manual and the Mapsource manual) cover to cover...and I still am unable to load additional maps to my GPS. It has a memory card...and I've made sure it's installed correctly. IN fact, I can SEE the memory card details on the GPS...showing nothing loaded onto it and a whole bunch of free space available.

I ran the mapsource program and installed it on my computer...and selected a detailed map or two of our area, and when I try to save it to the GPS, it seems like it works. But I don't see the map anywhwere on the GPS?? I've searched every menu on the stupid thing to no avail. I used the USB mass storage option...where it actually adds the device as Drive E on my computer. According to the manuals, it looks like that IS supposed to be the memory card. UGH. It's very frustrating.

Of course, I can't get Garmin support on the weekends...and I work in the IT field and have a feeling they might not be that much help anyway <sigh>.

Any advice for me?

The GPS only comes with a basemap which is useless. So you have to buy maps. City Navigator are the maps you want to buy. They will set you back another 100+ bucks but they are worth it. Edited by TrailGators

Any advice for me?

The GPS only comes with a basemap which is useless. So you have to buy maps. City Navigator are the maps you want to buy. They will set you back another 100+ bucks but they are worth it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! YEs, the map cds that came with the device are the 3 disc set of TOPO maps. I can't even get THOSE installed...because even though my device is connected, it doesn't appear that through Mapsource it can be identified. Which probably means a driver issue, right? I'll definitely call garmin support tomorrow.

In the meantime, in addition to this issue, are you saying that the TOPO maps probably won't give me the detail that I want anyway? I would like to be able to zoom down to see street names at least! That's not so much to ask is it? :santa: Right now with the basemap, I see very few street names. So, do you suggest that I purchase the City Navigator maps for my unit? Then I'll be able to actually use it to search for specific addresses? Right now, "address" isn't even an option on my "find" menu.

Thanks again for the replies.

Thanks for all the suggestions! YEs, the map cds that came with the device are the 3 disc set of TOPO maps. I can't even get THOSE installed...because even though my device is connected, it doesn't appear that through Mapsource it can be identified. Which probably means a driver issue, right? I'll definitely call garmin support tomorrow.

In the meantime, in addition to this issue, are you saying that the TOPO maps probably won't give me the detail that I want anyway? I would like to be able to zoom down to see street names at least! That's not so much to ask is it? :santa: Right now with the basemap, I see very few street names. So, do you suggest that I purchase the City Navigator maps for my unit? Then I'll be able to actually use it to search for specific addresses? Right now, "address" isn't even an option on my "find" menu.

Thanks again for the replies.

Did you install the driver? It should have been on the CD that came with the GPSr. If you can't find it there, you can download it from the Garmin site. Once the driver is installed, you should be able to install the maps and send waypoints from your computer to the GPSr with no problems.

Although I use the Topo maps when hiking, I really depend on the auto-routing feature of City Navigator, so you might have more maps to purchase . . . :santa:

Yay! I got it all to work finally! I contacted Garmin, and they sent me a Mapsource update, and voila! I'm now able to download my topo maps. Of course, as you all said, it doesn't give me enough detail so I'm going to go ahead and buy City Navigator. But I'm thrilled that I at least have everything working! Thanks again!

I'm confused...with this topic? Did you say that your Garmin 60CSx came with 3 Topo discs? The only thing I got with my new (but display model) was the waypoint manager disc. Was I supposed to have received these disc's with my unit?

Thanks,

-psyber7

Normally no, maybe the OP bought a package deal.

I'm confused...with this topic? Did you say that your Garmin 60CSx came with 3 Topo discs? The only thing I got with my new (but display model) was the waypoint manager disc. Was I supposed to have received these disc's with my unit?

Thanks,

-psyber7

Normally no, maybe the OP bought a package deal.

Yes, my hubby bought the GPS and Mapsource topo maps as a package deal. (By the way, I AM the OP, but was logged in under my hubby's account)