Terrain

stalsa31

I've got a cache that keeps falling out of the dang tree. I downgraded the terrain rating only to have a guy say, "I adjusted its altitude to where I am assuming (based on the logs) it should have been." No big deal, so I simply adjusted the description to read, "Apparently the cache can't decide on which terrain rating it prefers. It's been in both locations recently. Good luck... this is as close to a "moving cache" as we'll ever get!". Bad form??

I have several caches in my area that are rated as T1 but that are hidden on buildings or trees in such a way that a person like me is not able to get that cache because the cache is placed too high. Or you have to climb on a wall to reach it. If you ask the owner about the rating they often answer "you can reach the cache location with a wheelchair, so it's a T1" :) I guess there is a little bit of misunderstanding about that. You should be able get the cache from a wheelchair if it's T1, or I am wrong about that?

I found a 4/4.5 yesterday. It was a half mile hike over a flat, well maintained trail. The cache was about 20 feet off the trail hidden in a stand of rhododendron that required a bit of ducking under branches, but 4.5 for terrain?

And 4 for difficulty? It was a Tupperware container hidden in the split of a tree, basically the first place most people would look.

It had over 20 finds and I can't believe not one finder questioned the rating before me.

I have several caches in my area that are rated as T1 but that are hidden on buildings or trees in such a way that a person like me is not able to get that cache because the cache is placed too high. Or you have to climb on a wall to reach it. If you ask the owner about the rating they often answer "you can reach the cache location with a wheelchair, so it's a T1" :ph34r: I guess there is a little bit of misunderstanding about that. You should be able get the cache from a wheelchair if it's T1, or I am wrong about that?

You are not wrong about that. The Terrain '1' is a cache that should be retrievable by someone in a wheelchair.

If a cache owner is being obstinate about changing the Terrain to a '1.5' or higher, I would send a friendly request to my local Reviewer, explaining the situation. Perhaps they will bump it up, so others aren't frustrated in their quest for what should be a wheelchair-friendly cache.

I found a 4/4.5 yesterday. It was a half mile hike over a flat, well maintained trail. The cache was about 20 feet off the trail hidden in a stand of rhododendron that required a bit of ducking under branches, but 4.5 for terrain?

While I totally agree with you about the unpredictable and subjective nature of the ratings, why on earth would even you go for what you thought was a 4.5 terrain cache while recovering from a soccer injury? Sounds to me like you should be grateful! LOL!

While I totally agree with you about the unpredictable and subjective nature of the ratings, why on earth would even you go for what you thought was a 4.5 terrain cache while recovering from a soccer injury? Sounds to me like you should be grateful! LOL!

I didn't know it was a 4/4.5 until I went to log it. The park had very flat terrain which is why we chose it. I did step the wrong way on a root on the way out and probably set back my recovery another 2 weeks. Ouch that hurt! The swelling is just going down today.