New Map Feature Request: hide ignored caches.

CoyoteRed

The new maps are fantastic IMHO (not pooh-poohing some folks' desires for an older alternative as I think options are always good), but there is one thing I noticed. You can turn off your finds and hides, but not the ignored caches. I'm thinking it might be nice for there to be an option to make the maps conform to the Nearest Caches List's "&f=1" feature.

Thanks for listening.

The new maps are fantastic IMHO (not pooh-poohing some folks' desires for an older alternative as I think options are always good), but there is one thing I noticed. You can turn off your finds and hides, but not the ignored caches. I'm thinking it might be nice for there to be an option to make the maps conform to the Nearest Caches List's "&f=1" feature.

Thanks for listening.

Yes, I also like the new layout, I would also add the option to remove currently disabled caches, as I do not want to put them on my ignore list, but to get an overview of only active ones. At least they have now a different background colour (kind of light orange).

I feel that they have taken up quite a lot of good things back, people were asking about.

I liked the new maps when they first came out, and I like them more as TPTB slowly add back some of the old features.

I rarely use the "Ignore" feature, but it would be useful to NOT see my ignored caches on the maps.

Hiding disabled caches in a croweded area, or locally when I'm checking on where I still have caches left to find, would be a huge help.

So I like both these ideas.

Also, What happened to the being able to see Archived caches on the maps? I've gone thru Every map now avaliable and I can't view Archived caches on the map. Why did this feature go away???

The Steaks

A quote from OpinioNate

I can certainly appreciate that you found viewing archived caches useful before, but for some very important reasons we won't be showing archived caches on the google maps.

Many caches are archived because they are in sensitive areas. Some are archived because the area is dangerous or offlimits. In these cases we don't want people visiting the location because they may get in trouble/hurt themselves/hurt the environment. Therefore, we don't advertise archived caches.

Also, What happened to the being able to see Archived caches on the maps? I've gone thru Every map now avaliable and I can't view Archived caches on the map. Why did this feature go away???

The Steaks

A quote from OpinioNate

I can certainly appreciate that you found viewing archived caches useful before, but for some very important reasons we won't be showing archived caches on the google maps.

Many caches are archived because they are in sensitive areas. Some are archived because the area is dangerous or offlimits. In these cases we don't want people visiting the location because they may get in trouble/hurt themselves/hurt the environment. Therefore, we don't advertise archived caches.

That is sad. So, If I place a cache in an area that there has already been a cache there that was archived due to multiple mugglings I don't have any way to search for it? I had that happen recently.

The Steaks

Thanks for listening.

I assumed because we went through the effort of ignoring them, that they would not be shown. Why would we want to see them? So I definitely want this.

The Steaks

A quote from OpinioNate

I should imagine that this applies to a miniscule percentage of archived caches. Perhaps a better solution for those would be retraction. This sounds like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

As to ignored caches. I would be delighted if those could be turned off on the maps!

I agree too. I would love to see the ability to enter a member's name and ignore the whole lot of caches owned by them, and in doing so, have all of them disappear from my map. I think it would also be really cool to be able to click on something to be able to toggle btwn sizes and types of caches when looking at the maps. I know you can do a PQ and then look at the maps, but it would be nice to have the toggling function so you could see which set you'd like to do for that day. The map improvements have been good, but still have some room for improvement. Since geocaching really revolves around maps (finding locations and all), IMHO maps should be one of the most elaborate parts of the website.