Require Puzzle solution checker for Puzzle caches?

JDandDD

Just wondering. Would it be a good idea to require a puzzle checking link for puzzle caches so you could check whether you have the correct coordinates before you set out? Many of the puzzle caches in my area require me to travel and hour or more to the cache area. It helps when a puzzle cache has a way of checking the coordinates you have calculated so that you know you aren't wasting that time and gas having made some error in your calculations.

JD

I don't believe all puzzle caches require determining the waypoint before setting out.

If making sure you have the correct waypoint is a concern, ping the owner beforehand. Maybe even let them know about the checker option.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I don't believe all puzzle caches require determining the waypoint before setting out.

If making sure you have the correct waypoint is a concern, ping the owner beforehand. Maybe even let them know about the checker option.

That's an option, but doesn't always work. Some people rarely look at their email (hard to believe in this day and age, but true). Or what if the owner is now absent......found several in my area, not necessarily owning puzzles caches, that haven't been active on the site for a year or more. For us, if there's no checker, we don't go as there's too many other fun caches out there to "waste" my time on instead.

If I'm not confident in my solution I will typically skip the cache until I get a confirmation from the cache owner. I have tons of solved puzzles so I'm not usually in a rush. I will sometimes have to email others that have solved the puzzle if the owner doesn't respond. I also often email owners with the checker website so they can add it to their webpages. A lot of people are not HTML literate so I'll help them if they have any questions.

That's an option, but doesn't always work. Some people rarely look at their email (hard to believe in this day and age, but true). Or what if the owner is now absent......found several in my area, not necessarily owning puzzles caches, that haven't been active on the site for a year or more. For us, if there's no checker, we don't go as there's too many other fun caches out there to "waste" my time on instead.

True, asking an owner for confirmation isn't a for-sure approach, but like hints, geochecker is currently not an requirement for listing a puzzle cache.

There will always be concerns that are specific to each cacher's situation. You can certainly take an 'all or nothing' approach if you wish. I just think concerns can usually be addressed. When they can't, that's when you need to skip it.

I certainly don't oppose discussing whether or not puzzle caches should have on-line verification, I'm just not sure we've reached a point that it should be required. At least not across the puzzle board.

An absent owner is a separate issue. Those situations usually end up with a SBA, not an added geo-checker link.

I know this is an old topic but... I just created a new puzzle cache and didn't want people to be subject to running all over the county if they got a single digit wrong. So I generated a small PHP script to verify and uploaded it to my server. I had no idea this geochecker.com site existed or I wouldn't have spent all the time tweaking the durned PHP.

Whatever. The work is done, and I'm happy with it. I'm willing to share if any other masochists out there want it.

I know this is an old topic but... I just created a new puzzle cache and didn't want people to be subject to running all over the county if they got a single digit wrong. So I generated a small PHP script to verify and uploaded it to my server. I had no idea this geochecker.com site existed or I wouldn't have spent all the time tweaking the durned PHP.

Whatever. The work is done, and I'm happy with it. I'm willing to share if any other masochists out there want it.

Considering geochecker makes it so easy to guess a missing digit, you might be better off.

It's not fun to drive that far and have wrong cords but people wouldn't solve the puzzle and just get the cords, ending the point of a puzzle cache. :anibad:

I do not think the checker just gives you the co-ords, you have to type in your solution (guess) and it will tell you if you are correct. At least the ones I have used operate like that. Of course the cache owner must have put into the system the correct co-ords.

I have seen puzzles that use a 'checksum' so the player can check to see if the coordinates they have are correct.

Such as: your possible solution is N 39° 54.757 W 122° 05.381

3+9+5+4+7+5+7+1+2+2+0+5+3+8+1 = 62

then

6+2 = 8

The owner will write in the description "Checksum=8"

If your number matches the checksum, then there is a good chance your coordinates are correct.

I have seen puzzles that use a 'checksum' so the player can check to see if the coordinates they have are correct.

then

6+2 = 8

If your number matches the checksum, then there is a good chance your coordinates are correct.

That is close but not 100%. If you swap waypoint digits, say N 39 54.775 you still get the same checksum.

Jim

then

6+2 = 8

That is close but not 100%. If you swap waypoint digits, say N 39 54.775 you still get the same checksum.

Jim

Depends on what checksum you use. A Mod 10 Double-add-double checksum (which is what's used on credit card numbers, and is sometimes called the LUHN Formula) will catch transposed digits. But like all checksums that resolve to a single digit, it has a 10% failure rate. Also, you don't have to fully figure out the puzzle, since you can use the check sum to determine any single missing digit.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I intentionally do not include a coordinates checker or a hint on my puzzle caches. Most of my caches include several red herrings and finding the cache without the help of geochecker or clues increases the satisfaction level for the first finder.

In fact, one local cacher has coined the acronym, TFTF for 'Tequila First to Find' to signify his satisfaction with solving the puzzle and finding the cache.

For those who don't like no checker/hint, Groundspeak has generously provided the Ignore feature.

I find that the cachers I want to find my caches, find my caches.

For those who don't like no checker/hint, Groundspeak has generously provided the Ignore feature.

:huh: Um... or you could just not click on the hint/checker links.

I took it to mean "for those who don't like puzzle caches without a checker link". These you could ignore.

B) Um... or you could just not click on the hint/checker links.

I took it to mean "for those who don't like puzzle caches without a checker link". These you could ignore.

You would get a correct geochecker on that interpretation. :huh:

:laughing: Um... or you could just not click on the hint/checker links.

You would get a correct geochecker on that interpretation. :laughing:

Not avoiding double negatives doesn't make your writing clearer.