Best GPS

T Wenz

I am new and looking at getting a GPS system. The first question I have is this.

1. I have narrowed down my GPS systems to two, but which is the best one:

Garmin eTrex Legend Cx

Garmin 60C GPS Map

or if you have a better one for under $200

Note: This is specifically for Geo caching I'm not interested in using it for driving and I would like to use it for placing caches so it must list coordinates.

2. I have read about people having to buy maps for them. Do they come with maps sufficent for Geo caching, or do I need to buy a program (if so what is a good cheap program.)

Edited by T Wenz

Best is what best suits you. The perfect unit for me may be a terrible choice for you.

That said, between the two I would go with the Legend CX. The Map 60C was a good unit when it came out, but has been discontinued for a while. It had a fixed internal memory (54 megs), while the Legend CX has expandable map memory (up to 2 gigs). So the Legend CX will be a bit more versatile.

Since they are mapping units, it does make sense to buy detailed maps, but it isn't a necessity. The base maps they come with however are essentially useless. They only show major roads.

Since you aren't interested in using the unit for road navigation, I'd go with Garmin's Mapsource Topo. It shows most roads and terrain detail such as ravines, cliffs, streams, lakes, hills, swamps, etc... You can often find Mapsource Topo for under $100. Is it a necessity for geocaching? No. But it really comes in handy.

Briansnat covered it well, so I'll just add that I have the Legend C, and wish that it was the CX for the map memory. Still, I can get 5 or 6 counties on it, and that's enough for a long day of caching. You don't really NEED US Topo, but it will help you to avoid swamps and cliffs on the way to caches. It will even help find the road that is closest to the cache. Also, here in PA we have lots of Game Land caches, and it helps to know where the trails are at. They're not always on the mapsource maps, but you can get most of the Game Land maps at the Game Commission site.

Happy caching!

I am new and looking at getting a GPS system. The first question I have is this.

1. I have narrowed down my GPS systems to two, but which is the best one:

Garmin eTrex Legend Cx

Garmin 60C GPS Map

or if you have a better one for under $200 ...

Between those two, I would choose neither and pick a less expensive, but still feature-packed Venture Cx and buy my own micro sd card. For just a bit more money, I'd get a Legend HCx.