Compass View vs Map View?

Blackjack Bailey

Sippy Dippy, welcome to the forums. Now take a lesson from and old guy. If you want to find the cache first time, then you would make it a habit to calibrate the compass every time as you get out of the car. I will recalibrate again if I find the cache to be elusive and mark my words, the cache is suddenly in a totally different direction than you were first looking at.

Neville can stop laughing now. :)

Have tried the electronic compass on a number of units and have found them all to be useless. More often than not they send you in the wrong direction and one has to keep on recalibrating. I switched the electronic compass off, but still use the compass view when approaching the cache. One of course needs to move to get direction if one switches the electronic compass off. Used to use the map view on my old GPSr, but tend to use the compass view more often than not on my newer one.

I would recommend switching the electronic compass off if your GPSr has one (only a few do, do not confuse this with the compass view). It's only upside is to provide direction without having to move. With it off one needs to move in order for the GPSr to determine in which direction you are facing/travelling, i.e. operates like old GPSr's. With the electronic compass on, I walked too many miles in the wrong direction thanks to the pointer being extremely indecisive or the compass freezing up, and wasted too much precious caching time by recalibrating and recalibrating and recalibr...u get the picture. BTW, a common complaint in many GPSr forums, and echoed by LeonW's earlier post. Once I switched it off, no more hassles.

Nish4....that's +1 B)

I completely agree, I have only ever used my electronic compass in caves etc, otherwise I seriously wouldn't bother!! It will really throw you off....

Rather turn it off and use the satelites to take you there. But one downside is that you will have to move before it will point you in the right direction. :rolleyes:

In fact i hardly ever use my compass at all. When i get closer, I just zoom in... seems to work just fine.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other i suppose.... :huh:

Good man.. :D

:rolleyes:

Forgot to add. Garmin in their wisdom have done something odd with the road lock in the new units. You will find that if a waypoint is within 30 odd meters from a road, the unit refuses to disengage from the road even though your mode of navigation is off road. This means that one needs to switch the road lock off for the unit to disengage. In my old unit (GPSV) they fixed this problem so one could navigate via road to within spitting distance and then switch to off road, all while the road lock is on.

In the new units, it only disengages if the waypoint is sufficiently far (seems to be about 30m) from a navigable object i.e. road, and the road lock is on. Now this is a right pain in the behind. Garmin's recommendation is to manually switch road lock on and off or just leave it off. :huh: Switching the road lock off impacts autorouting, so I leave mine on. So, if there is a roadside cache, I know the map view will not work properly and that's the reason why I started using the compass page.

Garmin refuse flatly that it is an issue despite the fact that they have the documented patch on older GPSr's to fix the problem.

Forgot to add. Garmin in their wisdom have done something odd with the road lock in the new units. You will find that if a waypoint is within 30 odd meters from a road, the unit refuses to disengage from the road even though your mode of navigation is off road. This means that one needs to switch the road lock off for the unit to disengage. In my old unit (GPSV) they fixed this problem so one could navigate via road to within spitting distance and then switch to off road, all while the road lock is on.

In the new units, it only disengages if the waypoint is sufficiently far (seems to be about 30m) from a navigable object i.e. road, and the road lock is on. Now this is a right pain in the behind. Garmin's recommendation is to manually switch road lock on and off or just leave it off. :huh: Switching the road lock off impacts autorouting, so I leave mine on. So, if there is a roadside cache, I know the map view will not work properly and that's the reason why I started using the compass page.

Garmin refuse flatly that it is an issue despite the fact that they have the documented patch on older GPSr's to fix the problem.

GR - is this why I sometimes get within a few metres of a cache, but my Garmin unit still says that I am (e.g.) 250m from the spot. And does not update dynamically?

GR - is this why I sometimes get within a few metres of a cache, but my Garmin unit still says that I am (e.g.) 250m from the spot. And does not update dynamically?

Hi CH, you haven't mentioned what unit you have.

What's been described above generally applies to newer units that have autorouting and in the case of the compass issue, those with an electronic compass.

If your road lock is on, and the cache is a few metres away from the road, you may well be experiencing the problem I've described above. You can walk miles away and the unit remains locked on a position in the map view. If you look at the view that displays coordinates and you will see that the coordinates are indeed changing. Compass view should be working fine, the problem above only affects the map view. Try switch the road lock off and see whether your problem persists (map setup).

Alternatively you may be experiencing the electronic compass problem if you have one on your GPSr. with the electronic compass on, I've experienced very strange results which affects the map and compass view. Turn the electronic compass off, if I can recall you need to go to the compass view and then hold the Enter key for 2 seconds to toggle it on/off. refer to your user manual.

If the problem still persists there may be something else wrong.

Not just my GPS eh! :huh::rolleyes::D

*although mine is never (repeat never) that bad!

Hi Guys

Carbon Hunter is out of the country for a few days. He has the Quest II.

Upgraded our old faulty Quest to a Quest 2 yesterday - Christmas has come early thanks to the good service from Trappers in fourways and Avnic Trading.

The POI and traffic alerts are a big plus.

To overcome the problem with sticky roads all we do is zoom in a bit and it seems to release you from the road in map view.

Edited by Nish4