Being an environmentally friendly cacher.

Indiangrass

Hi;

Just looking through CITO topics and thought (I have them once in a while) why don't I see any mention of invasive insect travel via well meaning campers?

In NY our Department of Environmental Conservation has great info to consider at: http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/28722.html

Mainly; please don't transport your firewood to an event. Help the local economy and help conserve the forest environment by buying the firewood locally.

Thanks! :surprise:

Hi;

Just looking through CITO topics and thought (I have them once in a while) why don't I see any mention of invasive insect travel via well meaning campers?

In NY our Department of Environmental Conservation has great info to consider at: http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/28722.html

Mainly; please don't transport your firewood to an event. Help the local economy and help conserve the forest environment by buying the firewood locally.

Thanks! :surprise:

CITO is geocaching specific. Reality is that we all, already do other things. CITO is like a bumper crop. In that light it's better than the dissapointment you have expressed.

CITO, Leave No Trace, Tread Lightly, Invasive Plants and other things are all topics we discuss regularly.

Don't forgot your boots:

Oak Disease Spreads Via Human Hikers

Human hikers and mountain bikers are spreading a disease threatening California forests. The fungus that causes sudden oak death, Phytophthora ramorum, has killed thousands of oak trees around the state and afflicted other native plants such as rhododendrons and bay laurel with a leaf disease.

Previous work had found that the pathogen can be carried by hiking boots. Now J. Hall Cushman of Sonoma State University, California, has confirmed that forest lovers are helping to speed the trees' demise. Cushman took soil samples from forests seemingly clear of the disease and tested them for the fungus.

He found the pathogen frequently along trails, but not from samples taken just a few feet off trails. Parks with the most foot, horse, and bike traffic were more likely to have the disease than quieter parks. The findings, which could trigger trail closures in some parks, were reported at a meeting of the Ecological Society of America in Portland, Oregon.

Another example of a diseases spread my outdoor activites is whirling disease. This affects fish and is spread by fisherman who wade into the water.

In my opinion, common sense precautions should be taken when engaging in outdoor activites. this includes treading lightly, not putting caches in sensitive areas, etc.

In my opinion, common sense precautions should be taken when engaging in outdoor activites. this includes treading lightly, not putting caches in sensitive areas, etc.

Hm, wow, guess I wouldn't consider taking precautions against things like tree diseases and invasive insects as common sense precautions.

Edited by egami

Hm, wow, guess I wouldn't consider taking precautions against things like tree diseases and invasive insects as common sense precautions.

Neither did I, my reference was to treading lightly, and keeping caches out of sensitive areas.