one click gets my

waypoints >> GPS

descriptions >> IPOD!

here's how... :laughing:

requirements:

premium geocaching membership receiving pocket queries by email

windows

gpxbabel (or gsak)

garmin gps (set it to garmin interface format)

ipod, set it to allow disk mode

create the following .bat file and save it somewhere,

c:\temp\gpx_to_vcard_and_garmin.bat

>>>start file<<<

"C:\progra~1\gsak\GPSBabel.exe" -i gpx -f %1 -o vcard -F "F:\contacts\geocaching500.vcf"

"C:\progra~1\gsak\GPSBabel.exe" -i gpx -f %1 -o garmin -F com1

>>>end file<<<

open my documents folder

click tools menu

options

file types tab

scroll to GPX (or create new if GPX doesn't exist)

change

browse

select c:\temp\gpx_to_vcard_and_garmin.bat

open your email

open 1368287.gpx (or whatever your pocket query is called)

that's it, comments?

Looks great to me! I know how to create a 'bat' file using any text editor. I don't know what the 'stuff' means in the file. I have all the requirements you listed. I'm using GSAK. So, does my 'bat' file look like this:

>>>start file<<<

"C:\progra~1\gsak.exe" -i gpx -f %1 -o vcard -F "F:\contacts\geocaching500.vcf"

"C:\progra~1\gsak.exe" -i gpx -f %1 -o garmin -F com1

>>>end file<<<

And -- if so I'm having trouble figuring out what the lower case 'f' is and is the upper case F the drive assigned to the usb port?

And,--do you hook up both the Garmin GPSr and the Ipod to the computer at the same time?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I really would like to go 'paperless'.

Thanks for any help!

one click gets my

waypoints >> GPS

descriptions >> IPOD!

here's how... :blink:

requirements:

premium geocaching membership receiving pocket queries by email

windows

gpxbabel (or gsak)

garmin gps (set it to garmin interface format)

ipod, set it to allow disk mode

create the following .bat file and save it somewhere,

c:\temp\gpx_to_vcard_and_garmin.bat

>>>start file<<<

"C:\progra~1\gsak\GPSBabel.exe" -i gpx -f %1 -o vcard -F "F:\contacts\geocaching500.vcf"

>>>end file<<<

open my documents folder

click tools menu

options

file types tab

scroll to GPX (or create new if GPX doesn't exist)

change

browse

select c:\temp\gpx_to_vcard_and_garmin.bat

open your email

open 1368287.gpx (or whatever your pocket query is called)

that's it, comments?

Seems too restrictive to me.

I need to also filter out caches that are unsolved puzzles. Include solved puzzles with the solved coordinates. Also, remove ones that are not available. Restrict to the exact geographic region that I am planning to be in, etc.

If you have GSAK in the equation, then create a macro to do both transmissions exactly the way you like. You might as well also dump the data on a map for printing and generate a POI list of all caches that include the hints.

Assign that macro to a user-defined button which you can click just as specified.

And then, anytime you want to just click and go... you can do that.

Looks great to me! I know how to create a 'bat' file using any text editor. I don't know what the 'stuff' means in the file. I have all the requirements you listed. I'm using GSAK. So, does my 'bat' file look like this:

>>>start file<<<

"C:\progra~1\gsak.exe" -i gpx -f %1 -o vcard -F "F:\contacts\geocaching500.vcf"

"C:\progra~1\gsak.exe" -i gpx -f %1 -o garmin -F com1

>>>end file<<<

And -- if so I'm having trouble figuring out what the lower case 'f' is and is the upper case F the drive assigned to the usb port?

And,--do you hook up both the Garmin GPSr and the Ipod to the computer at the same time?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I really would like to go 'paperless'.

Thanks for any help!

I haven't tried it but knowing something about batch files, I can answer one of your questions...

The batch file has two lines in it - the two lines beginning with c:\progra~1.

Not sure what the -f and -F options are - check GSAK's documentation. But I can tell you pretty surely that you'll probably need to change the F:\contacts to whatever drive letter your iPod is assigned...

Wild-a**-guess: i'd think you have to have the ipod and the GPS connected at the same time, since it's a one-shot solution.

Hope that helped! I think I'll try it myself with my $30 ipod mini ($5.00 "broken" mini at garage sale + $20 for new battery and shipping).

As an aside, reading a file once and writing it twice is faster than reading it twice and writing it twice.

"C:\progra~1\gsak\GPSBabel.exe" -i gpx -f %1 -o vcard -F "F:\contacts\geocaching500.vcf" -o garmin -F com1

You can have a zillion input and outputs with all kinds of zany stuff in the middle. It's you you merge waypoints.

You can even do things like merge 5 PQs together, suppress dupes, create a nine mile ball around a stop, ,squirrel that away, filter the entire set for caches along a route, append that to the ball you just created, get a bigger ball around your destination, merge that into the retained set, sort the whole thing in increasting radius from the destination, then write the whole thing to two different files for study.

gpsbabel -vs -i gpx -f file1.gpx -f file2.gpx -f file3.gpx -f file4.gpx -f file5.gpx \

-x duplicate,shortname \

-x stack,push,copy \

-x radius,lat=30.8,lon=-83.3,distance=9 \

-x stack,swap \

-x arc,file=$ROUTEF,distance=$ROUTEW \

-x stack,pop,append \

-x stack,push \

-i gpx -f $DEST \

-x radius,$DESTCTR,distance=$DESTDIST \

-x stack,pop,append \

-x duplicate,shortname \

-x radius,$DESTCTR,distance=9999 \

-o gpx -F ~/src/geo/mgpx/${TRIP} -F /tmp/{$TRIP}.gpx \

-o s_and_t -F /tmp/${TRIP}.txt

I can hear the popping sound of the heads exploding...

If you use GSAK, they have a macro so you can send the descriptions, logs and hints to the ipod. Takes me less than 1 minute to complete. Go into GSAK press CTRL-M, then click ONLINE MACRO INDEX. search for IPOD NOTES and you will get the macro. It self installs (less than 100k). Then load your gpx, click ctrl-m and click the IPOD NOTES macro. done.

If you use GSAK, they have a macro so you can send the descriptions, logs and hints to the ipod. Takes me less than 1 minute to complete. Go into GSAK press CTRL-M, then click ONLINE MACRO INDEX. search for IPOD NOTES and you will get the macro. It self installs (less than 100k). Then load your gpx, click ctrl-m and click the IPOD NOTES macro. done.

Thanks, Joe. I don't know how I missed that in the list of macros but we'll certainly try that!

Keith

Couple of questions here.

Will the GSAK macro to IPOD work for a nano?

Does the GSAK macro send all pages of the description of a cache to the IPOD nano in notes. If so, will it accomodate multiple pages such as found in earthcaches.

We are presently using Cache Magnet to IPOD nano at the moment but looking at using GSAK if it will send more data to the nano.

Team Polarbear