60csx vs 76csx

Three main reasons:

Slightly smaller form factor fits more naturally in the hand for many people.

Buttons under the screen (rather than over the screen) so your hand doesn't block the screen while pushing them. Also makes one-handed use is a little easier.

Available accessories tend to favor hiking and bicycling over boating.

Another reason is that the antennas in the two units are different. The 76CSX uses a patch antenna which is great for marine use - the intended use of the 76. The 60CSX uses a quad helix antenna the works better in tree canopy. The 76 floats and the 60 does not. The buttons on the top of the 76 are great when mounted on a low dashboard on a boat and you are standing (like when you are fishing). The 60 is designed for mainly handheld use. Hope that might give you some insight into what to choose.

Edited by Techwiz

Another reason is that the antennas in the two units are different. The 76CSX uses a patch antenna which is great for marine use - the intended use of the 76. The 60CSX uses a quad helix antenna the works better in tree canopy. The 76 floats and the 60 does not. The buttons on the top of the 76 are great when mounted on a low dashboard on a boat and you are standing (like when you are fishing). The 60 is designed for mainly handheld use. Hope that might give you some insight into what to choose.

I believe both the 60C(S)x and the 76C(S)x use Quad helix antennae. From what I understand the two use the same guts and the same software. The only difference is size, shape, button placement, bouyancy, and the size of the micro SD card that comes with the unit.

Buttons under the screen (rather than over the screen) so your hand doesn't block the screen while pushing them. Also makes one-handed use is a little easier.

Actually, I found that the 76's form factor made it easier for one-handed use. I had a much more secure grip on the 76C when using it with one hand, than I do now on my 60CSx.

Also, the buttons above the screen never caused me to cover the screen with my hand.

I chose the 60's form factor when I upgraded to an "x" version because I wanted the 60's integrated belt clip system, plus it was a little more compact so it fit more easily ino the various pockets/pockets that I stuff it into.

GeoBC

I chose the 76csx over the 60 csx mainly because it is far easier to operate the buttons with one hand,and I never have a problem blocking the screen when I do it.Again the exact same guts just a flat wide case to make it float.As a side note about antennas I would recommend the mxc 25,it does boost the signal strength,I have mine 2 way taped to one of those name tags and attach it to my pack strap sometimes if I want to record a track with the unit in my pack .Its only about $30 more.Find a place that has them and hold them both first.

Edited by Forkeye

...The only difference is size, shape, button placement, bouyancy, and the size of the micro SD card that comes with the unit.

And bearing in mind that the microSD cards which are supplied are ridiculously low in capacity, the first thing you do is to order a 1 or 2 GB card, so you can really discount that difference.

You could always leave it as a trade item I guess.

There's been quite a few threads on the form factor of the 60 vs the 76 units over the years. Feature wise they're basically the same, so it largely just comes down to what's more comfortable. My general interpretation of how it seems to break down is that those that hold the unit in the palm of their hands seem to prefer the 76 style, while those that hold it across their fingers tend to prefer the 60 style. But that's just my personal observation.

The real answer is go to a store that carries both, pick them up and hold them in your hand, and decide which feels more comfortable. It doesn't seem to take people long to discover a preference.

Three main reasons:

Slightly smaller form factor fits more naturally in the hand for many people. ...

That is what I find to be true. The dimensions are not that far apart, but the 60 just seems smaller and fits the hand much better.

The button's under the screen are more of a problem than the ones over the screen. My GPS V uses the over the screen buttons, I just use my thumb which is placed such that over works better for one handed operation. Under, I have to use my other hand and does not lend itself to one handed unless I scoot the GPS up my hand so my thumb can reach.

Another thing to consider is safety and adventure.

Check out this link and log from someone trying to geocache with a 60CSX.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;hl=gun+barral

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...76-daa0f4c54b07

If you enjoy cops pointing guns at you and getting handcuffed by female police officers, then the 76CSX

is not for you, as it has no barrel.

--mo_town_man