Earthcache - "raw" feature (no signs, visitor center, etc)

kwikstix

I'm thinking of developing an earthcache for a fairly unique feature. The challenge that I'm up against is that this feature is what I would call "raw". That is, it is just out in nature, without having any kind of visitor's center, signage, or markers. The coordinates would be for the feature itself (it is fairly small - not like a lake or mountain or something), and a requirement for the find would obviously be to take a picture near the feature, but beyond that, I'm trying to figure out what would be some good questions to ask, measurements to take or other requirements for the find. Here are some of my specific questions:

1) Due to the nature of the feature, there is a measurement I could require the finder to take, but it would be a time measurement, and may require the finder to stay there for over an hour. As long as I would spell out the measurement requirement, along with the possible length of stay for a proper measurement, would this be a reasonable requirement?

2) Since there are no signs or visitor's center, would it be appropriate to require a finder to do some research on their own? I'm going to be checking local libraries to see if they have information regarding this feature. If so, would it be appropriate to require a finder to visit a particular library to find the information? Another option might be to give some tips about finding the information online, but my searching online has produced little information (some fairly obscure university research PDF documents turned up by Google several pages deep, for instance). I'm a little hesitant to encourage the use of the web since it can produce non-authoritative (and potentially erroneous) information.

I realize that these requirements may limit the number of finders for this earthcache, but the owners of the property on which this earthcache is located don't necessarily want overly-frequent visitors either, so that would be find by me. They grant school groups, interested locals, and scientists visits to the feature, but this would be a step beyond what they've done in the past (given a standing open invitation to unannounced strangers on their property). I know the owners of the property personally, have contacted them regarding setting up this earthcache, and they would like to find out more about earthcaches and geocaching in general. I mention all this to reinforce my reasoning for making the requirements somewhat challenging - I'd prefer that only "hard-core" earthcache seekers venture out to find this one, but I also don't want to be too unreasonable. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Truthfully, it's better when folks can't just read a sign and get the answer to a question. We are supposed to try to get people to really learn something from interacting with the feature itself. Preferably in a way that teaches them something about how the featured formed or the impact the feature has on humans.

Some good ones I seen (or heard people talk about making) had people do things like:

approximate how high a geyser blows steam, and using that number, try to determine the PSI of pressure needed to produce that lift if the hole is x across and the pressure source is y feet from the hole.

time the period between drops of fluid falling from a stalactite to a stalagmite, and (given the rate of deposition per drop) figure out how long it will take until the two join into a column.

go to the site on any of a series of particular days/times and see if the natural feature can be used as an accurate astronomical measurement tool

I've seen earthcaches that ask you to collect fluid in a container of known size and calculate flow rate, identify fossils against a chart provided by the cache owner (but not found onsite), or compare the density of two rocks found in the area near a feature.

I've seen earthcaches that ask you to determine the direction of travel of a glacier after looking at the features created by the glacier (and reading some background on the cache page).

If you need folks to have some specific knowledge before they go to the cache, you can provide it on the page--or you can link to online sources that provide the information. (Just make sure they are stable sites, such as an .edu or .gov site, that will be there when your cache seeker needs the info).

My husband and I have a few earthcaches and I teach Earth & Space science and have a fairly extensive geosciences background. If you need more suggestions, but don't wna to give away your secret, feel free to email me and I'll try to help.

"Raw" features, IMHO, make the best earthcaches. Common information to gather at raw features (in addition to those listed by Neos2) includes:

- List various types of a general feature (types of waterfall, types of seismic fault, types of spring) and ask the seeker to identify the type of your particular feature.

- Count folds or layers in exposed rock.

- Count how many boulders are lieing around (within a set radius).

- Size of a local feature (height, width, circumference, depth, etc.). I had to measure the opening size of a cave once, and I realized too late that I had left my measuring tape back in the truck... so I improvised and made up a new unit for length (the "Joshua") and set it equal to the height of the shortest human there at the time (my son). This measuring method is based on historical precedence (see Smoot), and was accepted by the cache owner.

And for your specific questions:

1) This sounds like a solar measurement. And yes, if you spell it out ahead of time, I believe that will be an acceptable requirement. It will also eliminate lots of people from attempting it.

2) Requiring the visitor to visit a particular library could be a problem. Specifically if they have to get a library card (providing personal information) in order to access the information they need. Plus there is the issue of library hours. Web research is acceptable, but expect to get lots of requests for hints. Ultimately, you do need some sort of info that can only gathered on site to prevent false logs (do the web research, then Photoshop someone else's picture to claim a find).

How about providing the "visitor center" experience and info on the cache page, then requiring a photo to verify they were there?

Raw locations like this put much more educational responsibility on the owner than other earthcaches would. Jumping through a hoop to log an earthcache is not unusual. Jumping through flaming hoops just sucks.

"Raw" sites are somewhat of a challenge to be educational. I have developed an earth cache that gives erosion information on the cache page, and then requires visitors to find examples of the erosion and post pictures of their finds. Using pictures it has also removed the requirement of people needing to email me their answers. Sure you have to have a digital camera, but its stated on the cache page. I am also flexible, if somebody doesn't have one they can always email me and we can work things out.

If the site was really cool, I wouldn't mind hanging out for an hour.

EarthCaches that take people to places with no signs and provide great information and a wonderful learning experience through the educational logging requirement are my favorite!

Like all things in life, EarthCaches range in quality from the good to the excellent!

For an example of an excellent EarthCache, and there are many great ones out there, I would suggest people look at one by Minerals44 or TerryDad2...

Geoaware

Locations with signs/visitor centers are the most likely to have easy parking and access allowing for the largest audience. Annoyingly they are also usually placed in the best viewing location and at excelent examples of features. They also have easier approval since the access is safe and designed for visitors.

However I also prefer 'raw' features. Fewer people, closer access, and more of a discovery. More difficult in the description and educational questions though.

Locations with signs/visitor centers are the most likely to have easy parking and access allowing for the largest audience. Annoyingly they are also usually placed in the best viewing location and at excelent examples of features. They also have easier approval since the access is safe and designed for visitors.

However I also prefer 'raw' features. Fewer people, closer access, and more of a discovery. More difficult in the description and educational questions though.

This spring my wife and I had a chance to do a whirlwind one-day visit to Joshua Tree National Park. We were delighted to see JTNP had more than a day's worth of earthcaches... and planned our visit around those caches that seemed best-designed to teach us about what unique landforms we'd see in the park. Six TerryDad2 earthcaches later (actually seven, as we revisited one I'd done a year earlier at the southern park entrance), we had an overview of the park that no one could gain just driving through with a park brochure on their lap (even if they stopped and read all the interpretive signs).

Beyond the FTF (or 'first to learn') log at GC1C195 Aplites, Pegmatites, and Dikes…. Oh My!! we gained an understanding of the material that infills rock cracks by leaving the parking area and hiking across a quarter-mile or so of desert to a rock outcropping where we examined the geological features close-up. It was hot (95 is wickedly hot to this Alaskan!), it was sunny, and it was awesomely gorgeous! As we visited other parts of Joshua Tree, we kept calling out the names for the particular features we'd learned at the 'Aplites' site. We've transferred that knowledge to our hikes here in southcentral Alaska as well. The learning had to happen 'hands-on' - not from a sign or brochure - so it would 'stick' in my mind and be transferrable to other settings. TerryDad2's earthcaches made our visit a memory for all time.

Besides, as in other forms of geocaching, my wife and I really enjoy the journey enroute to the find as much or more than the find itself. A walk across a parking lot to an interpretive sign just isn't as much fun as clambering across desert rocks or walking down a sandy beach to gather observations and measurements to fulfill an earthcache learning requirement. There are places where it can't be done any other way than with an observation from a sign site (and don't forget those are ideal for folks with mobility issues), but I like the 'raw' earthcaches (and I'm a signmaker by trade!)

c48e144f-e63d-4a58-af2d-0b503f514af5.jpg

View from Aplites, Pegmatites, and Dikes…. Oh My!! - Joshua Tree NP - simply awesome!

c48e144f-e63d-4a58-af2d-0b503f514af5.jpg

View from Aplites, Pegmatites, and Dikes…. Oh My!! - Joshua Tree NP - simply awesome!

I don't remember seeing that egg in the middle of the picture :unsure:

I actually try to place both kinds of caches in a park. Some that are walk up to the sign and read it, and others that require some walking and/or nothing around them. I do this to meet the needs of both the mobility limited cachers and those that want more of a walk.