Accepting friends requests

jww6419

When I try to add a friend or one trys to add me, in the message page it says they are not allowing friends request. How to allow friends requests? Is there a way to change it?

Go into the "Edit My Profile" section of your account. Down in the "Preferences" section is a place which you can choose whether or not to accept Friend Requests. If it is checked, then you others can send you requests.

The friend feature does not serve any useful purpose at all. I'm not sure what Groundspeak had in mind when they created it. It adds no value whatsoever.

Hm. I use it all the time. I'm very glad for it, and that's even without the possible updates to it that Jeremy said may happen. :shocked:

The friend feature does not serve any useful purpose at all. I'm not sure what Groundspeak had in mind when they created it. It adds no value whatsoever.

Hm. I use it all the time. I'm very glad for it, and that's even without the possible updates to it that Jeremy said may happen. :shocked:

What do you use it for? Just curious.

I guess it might not mean much to some people, but it does to me.

It's a nice, quick spot to have friends and family listed all on one page, with links to their profiles. I take care of all my family's accounts, plus some group accounts, and I can get to them quickly from the friends page. Also, I have a couple friends whom I regularly keep an eye on for new gallery photos and cache logs.

Etc.

It's just made everything quicker and easier for me.

And as I said, if someday we can get email notices of friend's cache logged, or other things, I'd like that. Especially if it's something that you can turn on and off, for each individual person.

Edited by Ambrosia

It's a nice, quick spot to have friends and family listed all on one page, with links to their profiles. I take care of all my family's accounts, plus some group accounts, and I can get to them quickly from the friends page. Also, I have a couple friends whom I regularly keep an eye on for new gallery photos and cache logs.

Etc.

And as I said, if someday we can get email notices of friend's cache logged, or other things, I'd like that. Especially if it's something that you can turn on and off, for each individual person.

Kind of like a bookmarked list of your friends/family profiles then. OK got it. I have a few for that but they dont cache much so its not as useful to me at this point.

Thanks for your reply :shocked:

Etc.

Kind of like a bookmarked list of your friends/family profiles then. OK got it. I have a few for that but they dont cache much so its not as useful to me at this point.

Thanks for your reply :shocked:

Yup. :o

I guess a bookmark's never worked for me. I don't like bookmarks in general for some things. For some reason, this just works for my brain better! :D

When I get an email requesting that I add someone as a friend, how do I actually accept it? I recieved an email this morning from a friend and I clicked every possible link in the email and I still haven't managed to accept them. lol

Help? :laughing:

Yes, the link is a little funky right now - we're working on fixing that. For now just visit your profile page by clicking your username in the upper right of any page and then click on My Friends. Then tab to Pending Friend Requests.

Yes, the link is a little funky right now - we're working on fixing that. For now just visit your profile page by clicking your username in the upper right of any page and then click on My Friends. Then tab to Pending Friend Requests.

Thanks for the walk-through, I was just about to add another description of the same problem with the mailed link not working.

Ok, thanks. :D But I didn't request her, she requested me, so there isn't a pending request under my account.

:anitongue: **so confused** haha

The friend request link contained in the email notifications is working now. Thanks for your patience.

But does the 'friend list' do anything besides being used as a personal bookmark list of fellow geocachers?

PS. How rude of me by not saying thank you for fixing the link <_< My southern hospitality is drying up in the drought :P

Edited by Shilo

The friend request link contained in the email notifications is working now. Thanks for your patience.

But does the 'friend list' do anything besides being used as a personal bookmark list of fellow geocachers?

PS. How rude of me by not saying thank you for fixing the link <_< My southern hospitality is drying up in the drought :P

That's ok, I think there is something going around lately. Basically the friends list gives you quick access to your friends' profiles and can be used to easily send them messages. The idea is to add functionality to the friends page in the future.

It's broken again.

The "friends" list is practically useless right now, and obviously a low Groundspeak priority. As long as you are going to allow friends requests to be generated, could you at least give proper work around instructions when the email link doesn't work? That stupid error message is zero help.