Comparing 2 GPS Units

JCanada

Well I'm trying the Megellan Explorist 500LE - I'd be able to tell you more about it but alas it came with the wrong USB cable and it's taken 2 months for them to understand and ship the correct one. They say they are having a lot of work being done on their website and ordering system. But hey they also threw in some much needed stuff for my wait. Though I'm still not sold on there service but so far the unit is nice.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Magellan-eXplor...n-P1038C80.aspx

Searching for better deals will surely turn up a competitive price.

Well I'm trying the Megellan Explorist 500LE - I'd be able to tell you more about it but alas it came with the wrong USB cable and it's taken 2 months for them to understand and ship the correct one. They say they are having a lot of work being done on their website and ordering system. But hey they also threw in some much needed stuff for my wait. Though I'm still not sold on there service but so far the unit is nice.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Magellan-eXplor...n-P1038C80.aspx

Searching for better deals will surely turn up a competitive price.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll check that unit out. Its a shame you got shafted on customer service, a lot of internet businesses are like that...

I would suggest still another option. Check the "Garage Sale Forum" or eBay for a new/old stock or gently-used eTrex Legend C. It connects to a computer with the USB cable, instead of with a Serial Cable like the Garmin eTrex H. Many newer computers don't have a Serial Port, so you would have to purchase a Serial to USB adapter, adding to your total cost.

The Legend C has a color display which is easier to read, particularly if you will be looking at Topo maps. If you get the Legend C and later decide to purchase the City Navigator maps, the GPSr will auto-route you through unfamiliar areas.

Garmin is known for excellent Customer Service. I've used a Garmin Vista C for more than two years without any problems with it.

Depends on what you really want out of a GPS unit.

If you are using it on your quad - you might want to consider a unit that can display topo maps of the area. Might I suggest looking into something like a Garmin venture Cx.

Rugged unit with USB connection, color screen, expandable memory, routable mapping, long battery life and small form factor. About $170.

Of the 2 you mentions - I would like the Garmin the best but I suspect you would perfer a little bit nicer unit.

I've used the GO2 and the yellow eTrex. I'd definitely go with the eTrex, particularly if it is the new H model.

Chief reason is that it's easy to hook up to a PC and transfer waypoints.

I was not impressed with the GO2 at all. Hard to read the screen with the small font, buttons seemed chintzy and maps were virtually useless due to lack of detail.

Edited by briansnat

Which unit would be the best buy for a newbie geocacher? My method of travel will most often be on a quad...

I'll never ever understand these sorts of questions. What's the frikken difference if you are a 'newbie' or not?

The real question is how much do you want to spend. What is this 'I'm a newbie' rubbish. Like ooh I'm a newbie so I can't have expandable memory 'cause I'm too dumb to load maps, or I haven't suffered for years, looking for caches in canyons with a crap reciever so now that a really top notch unit is available for $220, I can't get that because being a newbie, it wouldn't be right, just or fair to all those who have suffered before me. </rant>

FFS get the best unit you can afford. What's your budget.