Vista HCx Trip Computer Issue

jmundinger

I had a strange issue with my Vista HCx yesterday. I did a 5 mile hike to log a couple of caches. I turned the unit on at the trail head, reset the trip computer and turned on the track log. I first looked at the trip computer about a mile into the hike - at which time the trip odometer read 0.27. I thought that was odd, but, as I checked it several times between that point and our destination, the trip computer seemed to be working normally. I continued to monitor the trip computer on the return leg and, for awhile, it appeared to be working normally. However, I checked it at one point on the lower end of the trail and noted that the trip odometer was not recording. To add to the curiosity, I noted that the total time recorder had stopped. At that point, I reset the trip (without resetting the track log) and the trip computer then appeared to be functioning normally.

When I returned home, I downloaded the track log and it had a complete record of the trip.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any thoughts regarding the cause of this issue?

Edited by jmundinger

Thanks. That could well be the issue. The first mile of our hike yesterday was a steady climb - slow walking through switch backs and frequent brief pauses. The trail leveled out on top and we beat feet - the leg where things worked normally.

After reading the other thread related to this issue, it seems this issue is related to the unit firmware. I sent Garmin a note through the support link at their site. I encourage others with HCx units to check to see if they have the same issue and, if so, contact Garmin and request that they resolve this issue with their next firmware update.

Edited by jmundinger

Do note that in the other thread, Smac999 posted the following:

tracking by time works fine. it tracks weather you are moving or not. so if you are hiking and want tracks. set to time and not distance!...

Which seems to be a decent work-around until Garmin receives enough negative feedback to (hopefully) offer a firmware update.

The difference between the trip computer and the track log for slow motion (walking, numerous stops) exists with the 60CX series too but it seems (noticed in other forums) that it is even worse with the new HC serie !

Anyway, the closer to reality is the track log. After a year using the 60CX, I have stopped worrying. Indeed, I should check if the latest firmware got this fixed !

I just took a walk around the 'hood with my old Garmin GPS V in one pocket, and my new Vista HCx in the other. The results:

Vista HCx

Trip Odometer .98 miles

Moving Time 18:36

Average speed 1.8 mph

GPS V

Trip Odometer 1.25 miles

Moving Time 24:37

Average Speed 2.2 mph

Because all my neighbors were staring at me whenever I pulled the units out to check them, I didn't try to go very far in super slo-mo speed, but I did later walk around the back yard a couple of times at a very slow crawl. The HCx did not register any speed or distance, while the GPS V did.

I'm still leaning toward the idea that the chipset in the HCx has something akin to Static Navigation that's turned on on the Garmin HCx units, where the unit doesn't register any movement below a certain speed. That's exactly the opposite of what you want on a handheld unit.

Of course there's always the possibility that the Vista is right and the GPS V is the one that's wildly optimistic, but I doubt it. My reason for upgrading from it was I got tired of its frequent signal losses and subsequent under reporting of distances traveled.

Hi,

I also have the same problem. I confess I am a little bit dissapointed with it. I hope sincerelly that garmin could do something to improve this or even correct it.

The second firware update of the GPSMAP 60 CSx, said:

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:

Improved velocity filtering.

Suscrofa, did you notice anything better?

Well, all we could do is waiting.

I have never owned a GPS before. I am excited to buy one and start my hunting. I was all set to buy a Etrex Vista HCX today. However now after reading this I am rethinking it. Does this have any affect on looking for a cache? That is going to be the primary use of my GPS. Should I purchase my second choice which is a Etrex Legend HCX? I am confused can some please clarify this for me. Is there a problem with the Vista HCX or not? Thanks guys.

Does this have any affect on looking for a cache? That is going to be the primary use of my GPS.

No.

With the improved sensitivity, the unit is also a little more accurate that older units in the eTrex series, especially in situations where signal reception is not quite as good. Thus, the Vista HCx is very good for caching.

The trip computer tells you how long you have been on the trail and, of that, how much time you have been moving; velocity while moving; average velocity; highest velocity; and, the length of the trip. If you need that information while hiking on the trail, the data currently is not reliable. But, it has not effect on your ability to either find a cache or accurately locate a cache that you intend to hide.

I'm optimistic that Garmin will correct this issue - eventually - with a firmware update. But, who knows how long it will take.

Should I purchase my second choice which is a Etrex Legend HCX?

I'm guessing that the Legend HCx has the same issue.

The difference between the two units is that the Vista has an electronic compass and an electronic altimeter. In the earlier models (I also have a Legend C), I didn't think the price differential was worth those two features. But, with the availability of the HCx series from some online stores that are selling the units at less that suggested retail, the price wasn't that great and I decided to get the Vista this time around.

If I really need a trip computer - which I use for applications other than caching - I will rely on the Legend C and put up with the occasional lost signal, until Garmin corrects this issue.

Does this have any affect on looking for a cache? That is going to be the primary use of my GPS.

No.

With the improved sensitivity, the unit is also a little more accurate that older units in the eTrex series, especially in situations where signal reception is not quite as good. Thus, the Vista HCx is very good for caching.

The trip computer tells you how long you have been on the trail and, of that, how much time you have been moving; velocity while moving; average velocity; highest velocity; and, the length of the trip. If you need that information while hiking on the trail, the data currently is not reliable. But, it has not effect on your ability to either find a cache or accurately locate a cache that you intend to hide.

I'm optimistic that Garmin will correct this issue - eventually - with a firmware update. But, who knows how long it will take.

Should I purchase my second choice which is a Etrex Legend HCX?

I'm guessing that the Legend HCx has the same issue.

The difference between the two units is that the Vista has an electronic compass and an electronic altimeter. In the earlier models (I also have a Legend C), I didn't think the price differential was worth those two features. But, with the availability of the HCx series from some online stores that are selling the units at less that suggested retail, the price wasn't that great and I decided to get the Vista this time around.

If I really need a trip computer - which I use for applications other than caching - I will rely on the Legend C and put up with the occasional lost signal, until Garmin corrects this issue.

Thank you for clearing that up. I will probably never know there is anything wrong with it as I am a newbie. I am going to order it and get started. Thanks again.

Thank you for clearing that up. I will probably never know there is anything wrong with it as I am a newbie. I am going to order it and get started. Thanks again.

Go for it. I think you will enjoy it. One suggestion. The owner's manual for the HCx models is sparse compared to the manuals that came with the earlier models. You might go to the Garmin website and download the manual for the Vista or Vista HC. They contain more information about using all of the various pages and most of it will be applicable to the new model.

Go for it. I think you will enjoy it. One suggestion. The owner's manual for the HCx models is sparse compared to the manuals that came with the earlier models. You might go to the Garmin website and download the manual for the Vista or Vista HC. They contain more information about using all of the various pages and most of it will be applicable to the new model.

Thanks for the tip.

I just placed an order for the Vista HCX with Amazon.com. I got it for $ 217.00 and free shipping. Well kind of. The shipping was free but I am so excited to get started that I paid the extra 20 bucks for overnight shipping. Thank you to everyone for all of the help. I am sure I will have more questions once I receive the unit and I am ready to get started. Thanks again.

^^^^ Keep in mind this "error" is only present below a given velocity; 2.2 mph is what the Garmin phone rep told me the other day. This is obviously a problem when walking (threads abound about it), but you shouldn't see it when driving or moving at higher speeds.

Well, to me 2.2 mph (3.5km/h) it's a little bit high for hiking, do you thing? I hope that Garmin could improve this. Maybe to 1-1.2 mph.

The 60C(S)x is also a high-sensitivity GPS and I think it has a better behavior. Does anyone know if there is a velocity "trigger" for the 60 C(S)x?

regards

^^^^ Keep in mind this "error" is only present below a given velocity; 2.2 mph is what the Garmin phone rep told me the other day. This is obviously a problem when walking (threads abound about it), but you shouldn't see it when driving or moving at higher speeds.

Well, to me 2.2 mph (3.5km/h) it's a little bit high for hiking, do you thing? I hope that Garmin could improve this. Maybe to 1-1.2 mph.

The 60C(S)x is also a high-sensitivity GPS and I think it has a better behavior. Does anyone know if there is a velocity "trigger" for the 60 C(S)x?

regards

Yes, I do think its too high for hiking or any other use, that's why I called Garmin about it, and am encouraging others to do the same. I didn't mean to imply this quirk (flaw) is acceptable, but rather was making Garmin's own claim known.

When I called Garmin, I only discussed the HCx series, so I don't know about the "trigger" on the other models. Nobody seems to be complaining - with the exception of the HCx owners. :)

Well, I also send a e-mail to garmin and the answer was:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

This occurrence in the Trip Odometer has been reported. If it can be corrected through a software update I expect the Engineers will take care of it as soon as possible.

I am sorry I do not have any other information at this time in respect to this problem.

With Best Regards",

I confess that I didn't like the answer. I know that garmin already knows this for a while, so I expect that they tell me that they are already work on it.

I think that we must pressure garmin.

regards

Is this trip computer issue only with the H series or was it also there on the earlier Legend/Vista?

I have an eTrex and a Legend C - both obsolete models. I have not experienced this trip computer issue with either of those units.

The principle advantage of the H series is the high sensitivity receiver. With that, in any given situation, the H series unit will "see" more satellites than the older models and will be less prone to lose the satellite signal all together. For the hike that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I had a complete track log. The first mile of that trail was on a timbered slope. Had I been carrying one of the older models, I would have lost the signal several times on that slope - due to the topography and the overhead canopy - and the track log would have had several breaks in it for both the hike up and the return to the parking lot.

I also heard back from Garmin, also. They are aware of this issue now. I also brought these discussions to their attention. I'm optimistic that they will get this issue resolved eventually but who knows how long eventually will last.

If the trip computer is a critical feature in your choice of a unit and you need the unit now, you should consider something else. If you like the portability and want the greater sensitivity and can put up with the faulty trip computer, get something from the H series and keep your fingers crossed that Garmin will live up to their reputation and correct the problem.

Well, I also send a e-mail to garmin and the answer was:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

This occurrence in the Trip Odometer has been reported. If it can be corrected through a software update I expect the Engineers will take care of it as soon as possible.

I am sorry I do not have any other information at this time in respect to this problem.

With Best Regards",

I confess that I didn't like the answer. I know that garmin already knows this for a while, so I expect that they tell me that they are already work on it.

I think that we must pressure garmin.

regards

At what date did you get the response from Garmin?

I was out doing some hiking today with a Magellan Explorist 200. This problem with the trip odometer seems like a common problem not just with the Vistas.

I did a short 2 mile hike (according to the hiking book I was following). Carrying along my Explorist, at the end of the hike, here was the displays from the Trip page, and the tracklog page:

triperror.jpg

As you can see, the trip odometer shows 1.6 miles, and the track log shows the more accurate 2.06 miles. Does the Garmins (Vista HCX or 60CSX) have the equivilant of the track log screen? Does it show the proper mileage when the odometer does not, like this old Magellan?