133!

There is a very popular benchmark that has 133 logs! It is PY009 -- O 9 in Yellowstone NP.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen a famous benchmark, as in LOTS of 'correct' logs? It would be interesting to see how many marks seemed to have gotten a following of GeoCachers to oooh and awww over them.

Then there are those that have tons of wrong logs...I seem to remember one that was posted a while back...The Space Needle I think?

Shirley~

Well, it's an intersection station, so I don't know if it counts, but a certain well-known landmark, WASHINGTON MONUMENT 1913 (HV4442), has gotten about 108 logs.

It notably includes a 1999 report — one of the earliest at geocaching.com, predating at least the benchmark section of the site — by a fellow known in this forum as DaveD, who was not satisfied simply to stand below as a tourist.

-ArtMan-

Best I could find locally, was 79 finds for KU3602 EMPIRE STATE BUILDING. Antenna is an intersection station.

Of course, there were also 26 finds logged for EMPIRE STATE 1969, which is a triangulation station disk, and not the " BRONZE PLAQUE, SHOWING LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE OF THE POINT, MOUNTED ON THE CONCRETE GUARD RAIL, JUST ABOVE THE MARK."

And 555 logs on the virtual cache The Empire Strikes Back.

105 logs for Ly2604 TRI STATES 1942

And 50 erroneous logs for the nearby triangulation station (buried under a parking lot): LY2611 Laurel. Oh, well.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

There is a very popular benchmark that has 133 logs! It is PY009 -- O 9 in Yellowstone NP.

Hmm, I don't think I ever got around to logging that one. My picture is at a pretty low angle so it's hard to read the disk, but it's definitely one I photoed on my western trip.

There's also one in the Mammoth springs area that I literally almost killed myself tripping over because I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking. Looks like it's PY0160 - Y 8 with around 68 finds or so.

Both of these I found without really intending to. And while I haven't done a whole lot of benchmark hunting, these were really the reason I started looking into it. My first real looking for benchmarks was the following year looking for a few in the Death Valley area.

Thanks for this thread!

I recently reviewed a benchmark find, and noticed that someone included a statement that it probably had the most recoveries of any mark.

That mark had 26 recovery notes on GC.com. Certainly way above average, but 'the most'?

I thought, 'There must be marks with many more finds than that!', but I hesitated to create another thread regarding the question.

Thanks for the confirmation of my initial suspicion!

HU1800, BOUNDARY MON 0 = MD DEL CORNER, has 61 logs which is pretty good considering that it is not, itself, a major tourist destination, nor is it located at or in a popular tourist destination. The station is the 1932 disk mounted in the top of the 1768 limestone monument at the location surveyed in 1751, and at the southwest corner of Delaware. Of course, 90 percent of the logs are attributable to the fact that there are several caches in the vicinity.

HU1800

Edited to approximate standard English.

w

Edited by seventhings

I found an interesting one today from the benchmark gallery. It only has 65 finds, but also has 4 Destroyed's and one note. The note by StripeMark is interesting since he included the NGS official Destroyed log.

GO0497 - FOUR CORNERS = GLO STA 1

It appears that people are leaving a Found It log to commemorate their visit to this site no matter the Destroyed logs included.

Strange beasts these Geocachers....We cannot seem to teach some of them no matter what we do. At least they seem to be having fun.

Shirley~

I found an interesting one today from the benchmark gallery. It only has 65 finds, but also has 4 Destroyed's and one note. The note by StripeMark is interesting since he included the NGS official Destroyed log.

GO0497 - FOUR CORNERS = GLO STA 1

It appears that people are leaving a Found It log to commemorate their visit to this site no matter the Destroyed logs included.

Strange beasts these Geocachers....We cannot seem to teach some of them no matter what we do. At least they seem to be having fun.

Shirley~

I counted 81 on the current marker!

A lot of those actually logged both!

Edited by Holtie22

This mark on Mt. Washington in New Hampshire has 100 logs, and almost all of them are false finds. PF0951 is gone.

About 3 feet away is this PID with 28 logs, almost all of them false finds as well. This mark could still be there but finding it would require picking up a lot of fairly large rocks (I picked up a few) amid the usual crowd of 5-10 people crammed onto a few square feet of space. Sooner than finding the mark, the local authorities would come by asking why you were attempting to dismantle Mt. Washington or something like that. :blink:

PF0591 position is next to the wooden cross summit sign. PF0590 position is 3 feet or so to the right of PF0591.

108cdc61-8e21-4abc-b654-8ecb9c5ff036.jpg