Software for Garmin ETrex Venture HC?

We are looking to purchase some software for our new Venture HC, but are unsure of what to get. We really don't care about elevation or anything, so I don't think we want Topo.

We really only care about having complete maps with labelled roads and whatnot. We've read a bit about CityNavigator and MetroGuide, but we aren't really sure of the difference or what would be better.

Any thoughts???

As I know, City Navigator is far more complete about road coverage, and Metroguide is more complete about water bodies.

But also, Metroguide isn't routable in the GPSr, but is on the PC. You need to install Metrowizz if you want it to auto-route on the GPS.

Is a Venture HC routable??? Some guy at the store told us that it isn't...Is that true?

The Venture HC does not route on the unit. The Legend and Vista do (I believe that the Venture Cx does as well). Since the Venture HC does not have an autorouting feature, Metroguide may be the way to go. If you plan to get an autorouting unit at a later date, go with City Nav, and when loading maps to the Venture, uncheck the box for loading autorouting info.

The Venture HC does not route on the unit. The Legend and Vista do (I believe that the Venture Cx does as well). Since the Venture HC does not have an autorouting feature, Metroguide may be the way to go. If you plan to get an autorouting unit at a later date, go with City Nav, and when loading maps to the Venture, uncheck the box for loading autorouting info.

Consider too that the Venture HC have a limited (internal) memory of 24 Mb, which is not extendable.

That's correct, the Venture CX does autoroute, but the new Venture HC does NOT autoroute.

I fully understand garmins product line, But feel they could have less product confusion without having all the C's, X's, H's. This change(no auto-routing)from the previous model along with the drop of the micro SD slot are pretty lame.