I told myself, it's time to get serious...

mithuth

Well, I told my self a while ago that if I dabble in geocaching and hit 20 finds with no GPS and only using this site + google maps, it's time to get some real gear. Well, I reached that mile marker (if 20 is really a marker compared to most of you veteran hunters) and decided it was a hobby I would continue to enjoy.

So, my first investment was a one month membership here to see what I'm missing out on vs being a member and non member. I'll go with a 1 year subscription when my month is up. Definitely worth the added features and "member only" caches.

I got into the classifieds and received a great deal on a Garmin Legend and a Palm Zire m150, $100 for both. I can't wait till they arrive and I can learn to use them. I imagine for a while I'll be using paper still, but will play with the PDA after I learn to use the GPSr.

I'm also going to get a data cable if I can't find the one for my old RAZR. For software I'll get GSAK and Cachemate, so I can try and make things work a little bit smoother.

Anything else I should look into?

I'm really looking forward to learning more about backpacking and day hiking too, so I can leave at dawn and hike into some remote locations and back. I've rediscovered my youth in camping and backpacking thanks to GeoCaching. I'm hoping to turn my caching adventures into some routing exercise for myself and my family. We found a fun activity we can all enjoy.

Sorry to waste your time, I just had to share my enthusiasm with you all.

Anyhow, if you're ever in the Warren, PA area and see this Jeep parked near a cache spot, feel free to identify yourself and say hi. I'd love to meet some friendly faces.

mithuth-075Small.jpg

Edited by mithuth

Good for you! I have several caches on my to do list in your area. I'll make sure to say hello if we ever cross paths.

Sure, if you plan a vacation up this way and want to camp, I know a LOT of really nice area up here in the ANF (allegheny national forest), some nice camper spots, and a lot of really nice tent spots. Come on up and make a weekend of it.

Being new, I still have a LOT of caches to hunt in this area myself. but don't' wait too long, I dont know if I can curb my addiction and slow down. :grin:

for day hikes I highly reccomend getting a hydration pack they come in several sizes and price ranges and are a heckuva lot easier that dealing with water bottles. After that comes the appropriate gear for the type of hiking but you should always carry a first aid kit flashlight and matches in a water tight container.

Twenty caches without a GPSr is quite a feat in itself! I would urge you to get a good compass, if you don't already have one, and learn how to use it. It will help you zero in on the caches faster, and serve as a backup, in case your batteries go dead back in th woods. Always check it before leaving the jeep, and notice which way you have to go to get back. Another thing you will need soon, is pack to carry your "stuff" in. It should also have a water source. Either bottles or, what I prefer, a Camelback bladder.

Your choice of vehicle couldn't be better. I plan on getting a Wrangler myself, soon. I'm not too far from you, so I hope to cross trails with you sometime.

Happy Caching!!

I got my GPSr and Palm Zire today.

I haven't' a clue what I'm doing, but so far I've gotten up to 4mph running back and forth in the yard... LOL

I'm thinking I'll be getting rid of this palm zire and just use the notepad for the hints and tips of a cache. I use the paper for doodle paper anyhow, so I may as well print one side and doodle the other.

Edited by mithuth

Hold onto that Palm for a while! If you do get hooked on caching, you will want It to store caches on. I used paper for a while too, until I realized that I was carrying over a hundred sheets of paper with me. I had Gallon sized freezer bags for each section of the area, and when I'd go caching, I'd take at least two of them along. Now, all I carry is my GPS, and PDA. The PDA gives me all the info on the cache page. The only limiting factor is the past logs, as it only has the last 5, but again, if you printed out the logs for some caches, you'd have a book!

Besides, when it's raining, you can play Mahjonng in the car. :)

Hey, I think 20 is indeed a mini-milestone. When I hit 20, it was then that I knew that geocaching was for me. I felt less noobish, and finally felt ready to tackle some more difficult caches. I finally got some hiking boots for my 73rd cache.

I've put my 10th coating of water proof spray on my old work boots today. Well first coat today, 10th over a period of 4 years. lol) I'm going to look into some nice gortex hiking boots one of these days.

I've already upgraded from a Garmin Legend to a Garmin Map60CS (waiting for it to arrive), and I've only had it a day. LOL

So far, I really think puzzle caches set up like crosswords are my favorite, and I almost loathe micros. There's so many micros near me, I have no choice but accept them in my "to hunt" list.

Edited by mithuth

A spent about $100 for a decent pair of Gortex hiking boots this Father's day, a good investment if you ask me. I'm not even out in deep woods much, but even a normal rain can make a simple walk in the park messy. Nothing like going out in the wilderness with tennis shoes and getting soaked/ruined. Plus you may encounter mud and you want something that (1) stays dry inside and (2) is allowed to come home looking disgusting. It's OK if they are coated with mud. Just let em dry, bang as much off as you can, and put em back on and go back into the wilderness!

You are getting the correct equipement. One lesson I learned the wet way, is have a dry set of clothes in the car. Waterproof boots are an excellant investment. Well worth the price.

Also need a flashlight, long handled mirror, magnet, extra batteries, tweezers for removing logs from micros, hand cleaner/sanitizer, bandaids, on and on.

Accordiongal

You are getting the correct equipement. One lesson I learned the wet way, is have a dry set of clothes in the car. Waterproof boots are an excellant investment. Well worth the price.

Also need a flashlight, long handled mirror, magnet, extra batteries, tweezers for removing logs from micros, hand cleaner/sanitizer, bandaids, on and on.

Accordiongal

The only items you mentioned I don't EDC (every day carry) is the magnet and mirror.

I have tons of misc stuff in the Jeep, including 2 changes of clothes, a couple flashlights and I always have my Leatherman on my hip.

I just picked up a Garmin MAP60CS and will be selling off my Legend. I think I prefer the color map and from what i gathered it's a better receiving unit.