The Second GAS Geocoin

wavector

The orange dinosaur was featured on the first GAS Geocoin, the orange dinosaur was taken from the GeocachingAlbertaSouth.com website banner. The second GAS Geocoin also features a dinosaur on one face, in this case it is a purple dinosaur, not just any purple dinosaur though, the second GAS Geocoin features a purple Albertosaurus. The Albertosaurus was named in honour of the province of Alberta where it was discovered.

One side of the geocoin features a buffalo/eagle-feather headdress, this type of medicine hat has been symbolic of our community, Medicine Hat, for over 100 years.

This geocoin will only be available from The Geocoin Store and it is being produced using the same model as the first GAS Geocoin so there will not be any of these coins available for trade nor will any be available for sale afterwards, this coin will not be remade.

All of the sale profits will be realized as geocoins and all of these geocoins will be given away as new unactivated geocoins in geocaches. When you buy this geocoin you are helping to put new unactivated geocoins in caches which creates enduring excitement for those who find them.

There are unique features on this geocoin and the description of the geocoin that was submitted to The Geocoin Store offers a good explanation for the choices made on the coin including the rich palette of prairie colours.

The Alberta artist, peanutbutterbreadandjam, who created the design for this geocoin also created the design for the 2006 Alberta Wild Rose.

Watch for the sale of this geocoin coming soon!

b2c3fec6-8b35-4d73-b87e-0ce3320d899e.jpg

ef68b728-6f44-44b6-8fdd-c414f37ecd86.jpg

Edited by wavector

That was not planned!

I guess the store just decided to catch the wave! <_<

I never was a big Barney fan but my kids were all addicted one after another. I can't remember if Barney actually had "raptor style" teeth but I bet the kids would have loved him just the same. Perhaps if Barney had eaten a few children the rest would n't be so quick to run up and hug him!

The Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller has a life size Albertosaurus that they have done in full colour, they made educated guesses as to what colours to use and they did not use purple skin, it is more of a mottled green, sort of like camo. :o

This really is a nice geocoin when it is in you hand.

Thank you for buying the "Not Barney" geocoin.

Edited by wavector

I did mention that these geocoins would be trackable but I am not sure if I mentioned the fact that they will have a custom icon, here are the icon files that will be associated with the second GAS Geocoin.

Here are the images.

60921cae-1707-483a-8e54-917f42493ba1.jpg

1a2854aa-3c9c-4212-869c-5d01e91077d8.jpg

These icon files were designed by the geocoin artist, peanutbutterbreadnadjam.

The Albertosaurus is an actual real dinosaur!

It really isn't purple either, though it might have been!!!

Here is a link to a Discovery snippet on the sculptor who makes the decisions about the colours and textures on the dinosaurs that are displayed at the Tyrrell Museum. It has some really neat shots of the Albertosaurus.

As far as I know Barney never did eat any kids, but he might.

I just went and bought some of my own geocoins!

The store is selling a black nickel version and I have the polished nickel version to give away as new unactivated geocoins. I really like the polished nickel version but I also wanted to have the black nickel coins to give away.

My creative solution was to buy four of the black nickel version. :lol:

I want to thank everyone who is buying these geocoins, I appreciate it very much.

The Black Nickel version is just as pretty as I thought.

I ordered and paid for 4 of the black nickle Albertosaurus geocoins to add to caches as swag, I think I might keep one though. :D

I want to thank the people who have been buying this geocoin. The GAS Geocoins are never offered in trade, they are only sold through The Geocoin Store for a short while and then they will be gone. I make a profit but all that profit is realized as geocoins and the geocoins are all given away as new unactivated geocoins in geocaches.

Every time you buy a GAS Geocoin you are helping to put new unactivated geocoins in geocaches. I think that finding a new unactivated geocoin in a cache creates enduring excitement.

Thank You again.

GAS has donated 50 (fifty) of these new unactivated geocoins to the GeocoinFest Multi Event (Alberta) Event cache. If you are attending this event there will be many chances to win one of these geocoins.

The real thanks for this gesture should be given to all the geocachers who have purchased the Purple Dinosaur, they are the ones who have made it possible for GAS to make this donation.

If you want a purple dinosaur then you have to buy one, or attend the GeocoinFest Multi Event (Alberta)! :huh: The GAS Geocoins are never offered in trade, they will be on sale for awhile in the Geocoin Store and after they are gone they are gone. The Purple Dinosaur will not be remade and the remaining coins will all be given away as new unactivated geocoins.

If you own the First GAS Geocoin (The Orange Dinosaur) then you will see that it is featured iconically on the new GAS Geocoin, it was a way of tying the two coins together since they are so different in colour and style.

Thanks again to all the geocachers and geocoin collectors who have made the GAS geocoin part of their collection. Together we have put hundreds of new unactivated geocoins in caches creating enduring excitement for many finders.

I never did get around to posting the icon here.

The icons for this geocoin were created by the artist, peanutbutterbreadandjam, thanks Miles.

The icon reflects the geocoin very well and includes the medicine hat and the predominate colour that was originally selected for this geocoin.

I got a letter today asking me about the icon so I thought it would be a good idea to post it here. The Second GAS Geocoin and the First GAS Geocoin are closely related in the choice of themes, each of these coins reflect caching life in the southern part of the province of Alberta.

Here is the icon for the Purple Dinosaur : 1a2854aa-3c9c-4212-869c-5d01e91077d8.jpg

I can never offer enough Thank You's to the people who support the giveaways by purchasing the (GeocachingAlbertaSouth) GAS geocoins. Geocachers in Alberta have been very supportive of the giveaway model and we have managed to place over 400 new unactivated geocoins in geocaches throughout the province, creating enduring excitement for many geocachers.

So again, thank you for your support and thank you to everyone who has purchased a Purple Dinosaur, you are making it happen!!

The Purple Dinosaur can be purchased at The Geocoin Store.