wrecked 60csx

tdbarge

I was on a bike ride on a rail-to-trail near Jim Thorpe PA and had my 60CSX along (its all but attached at the hip when I'm outside) and was messing around (probably showing off but whatever) and wiped out ...my first thoughts were about the skin on my elbow and knees, or I guess lack there of, then I started to get up and the GPS was no longer clipped on my belt. Bad news right there...I looked back and saw a piece of the clip and then the GPS itself...picked it up and, of course, the screen was shredded and nothing could be seen...grrrrr...so all of that to ask if anyone knows a way to replace the screen or get Garmin to replace the unit even though its technically not under warranty?

To add to the frustration of losing my GPS this was at the start of a camping weekend in Jim Thorpe PA where there are a good number of caches and I was unable to find a single one after this happened...I was NOT a happy camper...

Thanks for any help,

T. Barge

I can't offer any specific help on the matter, but I can tell you that while crawling around looking for a cache this weekend, I cracked the screen on my eXplorist 500 in 2 places and rendered it unusable for the rest of the day. Fortunately, I was with someone else and we used her GPS for the rest of the day. Anyway, I called Magellan and have since sent my unit back for repairs. They are going to replace the screen for $56. I guess that's not too bad, I was figuring that I was going to have to buy a whole new unit.

Sorry to hear about your GPSr getting damaged, I had something similiar happen to me. Well actually my dog ate the antenna off of mine thought I was going to have to buy a new unit, but I contacted Garmin and it turns out they will repair it for a flat rate fee. I beleive it is $175.00 or something along those lines. You can find more information here

Edited by Mr_CacheHound

Sorry to hear about your GPSr getting damaged, I had something similiar happen to me. Well actually my dog ate the antenna off of mine thought I was going to have to buy a new unit, but I contacted Garmin and it turns out they will repair it for a flat rate fee. I beleive it is $175.00 or something along those lines. You can find more information here

Thank you very much!! That's not nearly as bad as what I was thinking it would be...

Had something similar happen to a Geko. Not sure why, but they replaced the whole unit at no cost, even though it was out of warranty. Earned a lot of my loyalty with that!

Did you just send it back and ask for it to be under warranty or did you do the flat rate and they never charged you? Cuz I mean 175 bucks is WAY better than 350 and free is WAY WAY better than 175...thanks

I fell off my bike about two weeks back with my 60Csx attached to the handlebar mount I got for it. Luckily for me though the thing never came off. I got a small scuff on the antenna (more discolored than anything) and a bloody arm, leg and side but my GPS is fine. I've had a couple run-ins when I dropped it on the pavement and it did a slide but the screen protector took the beating in both cases.

I'd try to send it back to garmin under warranty and see what they say. They have excellent customer service and can probably help you far better than anyone else.

Called Garmin and spoke to a CS rep. He volunteered a free replacement as if it were a warranty claim. It wasn't, though, and I was honest about that. It was > 1 year and the GPS had been run over by a vehicle.

Had something similar happen to a Geko. Not sure why, but they replaced the whole unit at no cost, even though it was out of warranty. Earned a lot of my loyalty with that!

Did you just send it back and ask for it to be under warranty or did you do the flat rate and they never charged you? Cuz I mean 175 bucks is WAY better than 350 and free is WAY WAY better than 175...thanks

well I just got off the phone with Garmin CS and they told me to ship it back and gave me an RMA number but didn't say anything about cost...so I'm hoping that means they'll still cover it under warranty even though I was clear that I fell with it...we'll see...