What the heck?

Team Teague

We started a travel bug, "Ryleigh's Ladybug" and we dipped it in a cache near home, then dropped it in one about 30 miles north of us in a small cache last Sunday. Today I get an email that someone has picked it up (yeah) and the post says "no ladybug, just tb" so I am completely baffled, as we were the last people at the cache, and the wooden ladybug is missing from the TB? WHAT? Where did it go? The nice guy who grabbed it said the keychain is still attached, but no ladybug (it filled the little cache container) so there would be no missing it.

I asked if he would mail it back to me, and he's going to, and I will reatach and start her on her journey again...

What do you think happened to the ladybug????? Isn't that kind of strange that someone would take a flat wooden ladybug off of the TB? It wasn't that cute, AND I had written on the back of it with Sharpie it's name and "I want to see the world" or something like that.

Stacey

What do you think happened to the ladybug????? Isn't that kind of strange that someone would take a flat wooden ladybug off of the TB? It wasn't that cute, AND I had written on the back of it with Sharpie it's name and "I want to see the world" or something like that.

Stacey

No idea. And I have a TB with the same Traveler. Granted it hasn't been lost yet but even after a year it hasn't been moved very far either.

Hi Andrew,

No, not at at all. It was a wooden ladybug with a hole drilled in it, with a key chain type of ring on it to the Tb. Someone would have purposely taken it off....but that person didn't log a find for the cache. Hmmmm.

Stacey

G'day

Could it have easily detached by accident?

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

No, not at at all. It was a wooden ladybug with a hole drilled in it, with a key chain type of ring on it to the Tb. Someone would have purposely taken it off....but that person didn't log a find for the cache. Hmmmm.

Hi Stacey

Makes you wonder then ... but then folks seem to do some weird things geocaching and their respect of others property is at times, well lacking. I never understand why people do things like this ... really achieves nothing for them or others.

I am sorry to hear that this has happened. I know its "only a travel bug" but still not nice.

Good luck on getting it going again.

Regards

A cache of mine was muggled a while back. Someone found its remains and reported its two travel bugs missing their tags. Sure enough, when I went to investigate, the tags had been literally ripped from their travellers. :unsure: I can only assume someone decided they were bling and took them. Even more strangely, they were found several weeks later in a parking lot of a Coffee Time. Fortunately, one of the finders knew of geocaching and returned the tags to their owners. :unsure:

Don't feel too bad. My daughter had a TB with a Long Neck Dinosaur attached to it. It went to Canada, Colorado, California, and then to the DC area. It was not missing until someone reported that they found the TB in a cache but no Dinosaur. He said he will put a suitable replacement on the TB. Now that is an Awesome cacher. I wish it wasn't taken off in the first place.

I've seen laminated cards attached to TB's that say something along the lines of "Stop! I am not an ordinary trade item..." and then goes on to explain what a TB is and its purpose. Lots of bugs get taken out of caches by people who don't understand how they work. It happened to mine too.

We started a travel bug, "Ryleigh's Ladybug" and we dipped it in a cache near home, then dropped it in one about 30 miles north of us in a small cache last Sunday. Today I get an email that someone has picked it up (yeah) and the post says "no ladybug, just tb" so I am completely baffled, as we were the last people at the cache, and the wooden ladybug is missing from the TB? WHAT? Where did it go? The nice guy who grabbed it said the keychain is still attached, but no ladybug (it filled the little cache container) so there would be no missing it.

I asked if he would mail it back to me, and he's going to, and I will reatach and start her on her journey again...

Stacey

Does that Cache seem to have a history of stuff disappearing from it? There could be someone out there treating that cache as their personal swag bag, and selectively stealing items that strike their fancy. Muggle? Unscrupulous Geocacher? Geocacher who can't say no to their kid? Who knows. At least they left the tag, I guess.