Is the Magellan Crossover a Good Choice?

I've had the Magellan Crossover for a few weeks now. I wanted both the vehicle spoken turn by turn directions based on addresses and a unit that would allow us to geocache (waypoints). We used it last week on our first 4 caches - and found them all! Had a great time. Problem is, the unit seems kind of clunky and inconsistent. It lost reception often under moderate tree cover, and a few times now has taken as long as 5 or more minutes to find satellites when turned on. My question: would I be better off getting a Nuvi for the car and a separate unit for geocaching? It would cost me a few hundred more, but I wanted to hear if others had more experience with the Crossover and could vouch for it's long-term usability. Thanks!

Welcome to the Forums! :laughing:

A friend has the Nuvi for car navigation, and a small handheld for caching.

I think those make a good combination. The new Garmin HCx units are just being shipped now. You won't need to get the auto-routing maps for the handheld if you have the Nuvi, but you might find the Topo maps to be helpful. Those can be purchased on eBay for cheap because they do not have Unlock Codes.

Get a separate unit for geocaching.

How much money where you budgeting for this purchase?

Well, I could spend a total or 500 or so - but I don't want to make life anymore complicated than it needs to be. What do you use? I like the look of the eTrex Vista CX and have read good things about it, but if I can't enter addresses and get directions... such a tough decision! We've got a road trip coming up in a few weeks, so I'm anxious to get set up ASAP. Recommendations, oh Seasoned Geocacher?

If I were ordering a GPSr today, I would get the new Vista HCx. Then, I would order the City Navigator maps. I think that is going to set you back a bit less than $400.00, after you also purchase the data card and cigarette-lighter adapter and automount and screen protector and neoprene case . . .

If I were ordering a GPSr today, I would get the new Vista HCx. Then, I would order the City Navigator maps. I think that is going to set you back a bit less than $400.00, after you also purchase the data card and cigarette-lighter adapter and automount and screen protector and neoprene case . . .

You've nearly convinced me - I don't see the HCx on Amazon yet though. Do you know offhand how it differs from the existing Vista CX (which is on sale at Amazon for 234$)? I'm using a credit on Amazon, so I need to get it there. BTW, thanks for your input on this, it is really helpful! <_<

Okay, one more question - will the City Navigator map add ons work with a Mac? I'm strictly mac here and don't want to find out down the road that a PC is required...

There have been "rumors" that Garmin is working on getting their software to work with a Mac . . . but I don't know. You'll have to check the Garmin site.

About whether the HCx is for sale on Amazon. You want to wait until it is available there. That model has a more sensitive chip than the Vista Cx . . . and the Legend HCx is selling for around $235.00 at places like offroute.com and tigergps.com. Amazon should have it soon, I would think, if those other merchants have it.

Yeah, ditch the Crossover while you still can.

I've had one for a month, and its going back.

Every time I try to access the Vehicle Nav map, or the Outdoor Map, the unit shuts off and reboots. Then with a fully charged battery, then next day when I try to turn it on, the battery is dead.

Plus I hate the cheap attempt at "armor"...That rubber thing slides all around and gets crud under it.

I think they just took a Roadmate, and threw some patched together firmware, and threw that in to try to make a unit thats usable "outdoors".

I wouldnt want to take the thing caching...Way too much money if it got broke. There isnt even a spot to attach a lanyard, either.

Well, I could spend a total or 500 or so - but I don't want to make life anymore complicated than it needs to be. What do you use? I like the look of the eTrex Vista CX and have read good things about it, but if I can't enter addresses and get directions... such a tough decision! We've got a road trip coming up in a few weeks, so I'm anxious to get set up ASAP. Recommendations, oh Seasoned Geocacher?

Just a heads up here. Using a handheld for street routing is in my opinion very dangerous practice unless you have a navigator on board, even if using one of those 'dash' mount kits. As for me, I'd get a automotive navigation unit that has voice announcement by street name for upcoming turns and such. I'd get a separate unit for the game of geocaching.

Do plenty of research, not only price but feature/function and ease of use. Get the units that seem to meet your needs for the foreseeable future. If you are in a hurry though, as this is a Garmin centric site, you might go with their products.

If you want good alternative suggestions, just let me know. :)

Just a heads up here. Using a handheld for street routing is in my opinion very dangerous practice unless you have a navigator on board, even if using one of those 'dash' mount kits. As for me, I'd get a automotive navigation unit that has voice announcement by street name for upcoming turns and such. I'd get a separate unit for the game of geocaching.

Do plenty of research, not only price but feature/function and ease of use. Get the units that seem to meet your needs for the foreseeable future. If you are in a hurry though, as this is a Garmin centric site, you might go with their products.

This concept of having a single unit gps that is good for automobile turn by turn street navigation and also a reasonablly featured geocaching unit is WAAAAAAY away from being ready for prime time.

If you want good alternative suggestions, just let me know. :)

Thanks everyone for all your great input. I finally returned the Crossover after it took 10 minutes to start up one morning and kept shutting itself down during the process. I have had my Vista HCX for a few days now and am slowly but surely getting familiar with it. I've figured out how to develop caches along a route, bookmark the ones I like, export that list as a .gpx, open that in MacCaching (I'm a Mac guy), and from there get them onto my Vista (and the details onto my iPod for paperless). Yee ha! I still haven't loaded any maps on there though - as I'm still a bit unsure how best to do that (and which maps to go for). This weekend is a long road trip and my first chance to test drive it. I'll let you know how it goes! :rolleyes:

Boy, I wish I had read this before. I just got a crossover and hate it. No directional pointer for caching on compass view and It is slow...I am going to return it and upgrade to the Vista HCX. I have a garmin 76MapCS and a Quest and was trying to get one unit to use for caching while traveling. This seams to not be a good option right now. I might wait a bit and get the 76 when it come out with HCX. When I do I will sell my 76 since I dont need two.