How far would you hike to find a cache?

warrent76

I am kind of new to geocaching and am starting to hide my own caches. I was just wondering on if the majority of geocachers like to find caches that involve a small hike (1 mile or less) or a longer hike. I am wanting to hide caches in and around town for families with smaller kids like my own, but I also want to hide some cachers for those that like to hike. What is the longest distance you would be willing to hike to find a cache? Please respond to help me find locations to some of my caches. Thanks. :o

For me, somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 miles round trip is my comfort level. Depending on the terrain though it could be more or less. Just keep in mind that anything over 1 mile, even round trip, doesn't seem to get found that often. Don't let this fact discourage you. The best caches in my book, as you can see if you look at my favorites in my bookmark, are the ones the require hiking.

Bccruiser

Welcome to the Game!!!

I like caches in the mountains the best. I will hike 20-25 miles while caching especially if I can pick up a few on the trip. That's mostly due to the fact that I like sleeping in my own bed and 25 miles is about as much as I can do in a day. But, distance and difficulty aren't always equal...I've done (and hidden) some on "short" hikes that were killers. I encourage you to place caches where you think people will like to go. Those of us who like the long hikes will find them sooner or later!

Josh

It's true that caches with shorter hikes get found more often, but that doesn't mean they are any better. Lots of people enjoy long hikes to great locations as the previous posters have said. One of the great things about geocaching is the variety of experiences it has to offer. When you place a cache, it is your way of showing others something you really like - your unique contribution. It doesn't matter how hard it is to do. There will always be someone up to the task of finding it.

I like caches in the mountains the best. I will hike 20-25 miles while caching especially if I can pick up a few on the trip. That's mostly due to the fact that I like sleeping in my own bed and 25 miles is about as much as I can do in a day. But, distance and difficulty aren't always equal...I've done (and hidden) some on "short" hikes that were killers. I encourage you to place caches where you think people will like to go. Those of us who like the long hikes will find them sooner or later!

Josh

What he said. :anitongue: If you look at a cache map of Washington, you'll see plenty o' caches way out there - on mountain tops, on backpack trails, etc. Definitely far fewer than in urban areas, and visited less frequently, but greatly appreciated by those of us who like to hike, bike, climb, and camp.

If my kids are with me and we are all tired an cranky I won't go more then 100 feet from my car.

If it's my hiking day I'll go up to 14 miles round trip. I don't get many hiking days and I'm tired and cranky more then I care to admit so mostly I don't walk very far to grab a cache.

If my kids are with me and we are all tired an cranky I won't go more then 100 feet from my car.

If it's my hiking day I'll go up to 14 miles round trip. I don't get many hiking days and I'm tired and cranky more then I care to admit so mostly I don't walk very far to grab a cache.

i dont like the ones deep in bush whack territory, ones near trails and paths are always great to do, once it starts going past 300 feet of pure bush i start to get annoyed, and it wouldn't look very good if i went around with a machete.

i dont like the ones deep in bush whack territory, ones near trails and paths are always great to do, once it starts going past 300 feet of pure bush i start to get annoyed, and it wouldn't look very good if i went around with a machete.

When my three year old is too cranky and I'm too tired to keep putting her in and taking her out of her car seat I won't look for a cache that requires me to go out of sight of my car. When she is in a good mood I take her up to 2 miles from the car and she walks herself. Last night I had to pass up a bunch of caches in Kirkland because I had to go just out of sight of my car to get them.

Edited by luckykoi

I am sure glad that I didn't start caching when my kids were little so I didn't have to face this dilema. I don't think Jane or I could have ever left Elroy or Judy in the geowagon to go and retrieve a cache. Maybe if it was only a park and grab, but otherwise not. But they are 17 and 14 now so they just stay at home and think I am a nutcase...

I am sure glad that I didn't start caching when my kids were little so I didn't have to face this dilema. I don't think Jane or I could have ever left Elroy or Judy in the geowagon to go and retrieve a cache. Maybe if it was only a park and grab, but otherwise not. But they are 17 and 14 now so they just stay at home and think I am a nutcase...

Yep, there is a time and a place even for lame lamp post hides.

I was able to get one of your caches during the day, it turned out to be the closest cache to my Mother's house so my Mother got introduced to geocaching. I sure hate the traffic you have in Kirkland, things have changed since I lived there 35 years ago.

I was able to get one of your caches during the day, it turned out to be the closest cache to my Mother's house so my Mother got introduced to geocaching. I sure hate the traffic you have in Kirkland, things have changed since I lived there 35 years ago.

I grew up in West Seattle and have to force myself now not to make statements like yours. Traffic is crummy everywhere in the megalopolis area now and it just isn't the same place as where we grew up. My first trips as an "adult" (in the late '70s) from WS to the east side made me feel like I was travelling to the ends of the earth (25 miles each way). Now those ends of the earth are about 3 miles from my house. I like the traffic in Kirkland compared to our last home which was in Sammamish. 40 minutes to anywhere.

I grew up in West Seattle and have to force myself now not to make statements like yours. Traffic is crummy everywhere in the megalopolis area now and it just isn't the same place as where we grew up. My first trips as an "adult" (in the late '70s) from WS to the east side made me feel like I was travelling to the ends of the earth (25 miles each way). Now those ends of the earth are about 3 miles from my house. I like the traffic in Kirkland compared to our last home which was in Sammamish. 40 minutes to anywhere.

I grew up in Woodinville. My house was the last house on a dirt road, not anymore! At least it's not too bad in Shelton but they do expect the population here to double in the next couple of years thanks to all the planned development. I used to walk to downtown Kirkland with my dog to get the newspaper for my Dad when I was six. No one sends six year olds out alone anywhere now. We lived on 6th Ave and at least our old house is still there.

Federal way has not changed it is just as bad as I rememeber it being.. :D

I am kind of new to geocaching and am starting to hide my own caches. I was just wondering on if the majority of geocachers like to find caches that involve a small hike (1 mile or less) or a longer hike. I am wanting to hide caches in and around town for families with smaller kids like my own, but I also want to hide some cachers for those that like to hike. What is the longest distance you would be willing to hike to find a cache? Please respond to help me find locations to some of my caches. Thanks. :lol:

We try to remember two things when placing caches:

1) K.I.S.S

2) Hide the kind of caches YOU want to find.

I am kind of new to geocaching and am starting to hide my own caches. I was just wondering on if the majority of geocachers like to find caches that involve a small hike (1 mile or less) or a longer hike. I am wanting to hide caches in and around town for families with smaller kids like my own, but I also want to hide some cachers for those that like to hike. What is the longest distance you would be willing to hike to find a cache? Please respond to help me find locations to some of my caches. Thanks. :laughing:

We try to remember two things when placing caches:

1) K.I.S.S

2) Hide the kind of caches YOU want to find.

It really depends on what I think I can do from sun up to sun down. If I know its a fairly easy trail, I may go as far as 30 Miles(course, it'd be done on the bike). If it is a 5/5 cache, I would still attempt it, but give it a weekend trek.

At the same time, If I feel like numbers, I'd go for the easy caches that are 2/2 and look easy.

In other words, I'd Hide or find Anything out there if I had enough Time and money. With the right incentive, I'd even hike further, harder, and do one of those 5/5 Multis that require Hiking in to a point, camping, Hiking more, Camping, then Hiking out.

The OTHER MAJOR POINT!!! ---->>>>

IF Its a Micro in the woods, I'll usually only hike .25 mile. If its a Regular, Previous statements apply...

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7