Change my username

5mxpro

Hi!

I want to change my username, without loosing my Founds!

I´m a Premium Member, but I see no possibility...

any idea??

Mathias

5mxpro@gmx.de

Currently this is not possible.

You can get a new name and re-log your finds if you want though.

Sorry. Maybe they will change this someday.

so I have to pay once more ???

:-((((

No . . . if you create a new account, email contact @ Groundspeak.com and they will transfer the Premium Membership. They can't help you with logging your finds from the old account to the new one, however. :P

How can I change my user name?

You can't.

You used to be able to, but this announcement explained that you can't anymore due to software issues. If you WANT to change your name early on in the game, you can open a new account, relog everything and delete the old logs, and transfer ownership of caches using the adoption page. If you need to transfer your premium membership, send an e-mail to contact@geocaching.com. But according to that announcement, name changes will no longer be able to be done. So - choose wisely.

Source: Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions

I feel this should also be pointed out:

untitledrk9.png

Edited by stepshep

You know what? I know darned well it is possible. The problem is it is just time consuming and a big pain to do it. There is some new application that "they" decided to buy/use where it becomes a real manual pain to change a username and they don't have an automatic tool that does it.

I have an idea, though. What if this was made available for a fee? Say something like $35 to change one's username? You might get some takers on it and the ones who just want to change their username on a whim won't think it is worth it. Both types of users get an answer.

I'd change mine if I could pay $35. I don't want to lose my sign-up date by creating a new account and switching everything over. And no, account names weren't set in stone back when I originally signed up like they are now.

You know what? I know darned well it is possible. The problem is it is just time consuming and a big pain to do it. There is some new application that "they" decided to buy/use where it becomes a real manual pain to change a username and they don't have an automatic tool that does it.

I have an idea, though. What if this was made available for a fee? Say something like $35 to change one's username? You might get some takers on it and the ones who just want to change their username on a whim won't think it is worth it. Both types of users get an answer.

I'd change mine if I could pay $35. I don't want to lose my sign-up date by creating a new account and switching everything over. And no, account names weren't set in stone back when I originally signed up like they are now.

I'll admit we didn't read the fine print when we chose a name. I would be willing to pay the $35.00 to retain our finds, ownership of our placed caches and change our name. ddCustomFittedBras

Edited by ddCustomFittedBras

I feel this should also be pointed out:

untitledrk9.png

That's the gotcha - the fact that once you establish a username, it's an identity that other geocachers know you as. If you change your name, you create an entirely new identity - essentially become a new person in the geocaching world. It seems to me that this could cause other issues. For instance, if a particular geocacher would do something to get banned from caching (logging too many false finds, found to be muggling or abusing caches, over-using smileys in the forums, etc), they could simply change their username and continue with their practices. I'd be okay with the ability to change user names, as long as there would be some way to identify previous name(s) for that same user. I assume that a primary reason one would want to change a username would be because he/she realizes that the name is dumb, or too cryptic, or could be interpreted as something with negative connotations? It seems to me that those all may be valid reasons to change a username, and users with those kinds of reasons probably wouldn't mind having an alias of former username on record.

I realize that the other work around (creating a new user and re-entering finds) would be an alternative for an illicit user to create a new identity. Although if they were a Premium Member, it seems that Groundspeak could prevent that from happening by tracking banned users' billing/address information? I think eBay does something like this to prevent scammers from creating new identities.

Well . . . since so few people actually read through the "Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions" :D I'll quote that post here. :tongue:

How do I change my username?

As many are aware, Jeremy posted this thread back in 2006 http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=130149 where he said:

For those who just can't live without changing their usernames we'll do our best to come up with some tools to move your information over to a new username.

Well my friends, that time has come...

Due to a recent feature change to our website, we now have the ability to grant username changes under qualifying circumstances. Approvals of username changes are at the discretion of Groundspeak, Inc. and need to comply with the Terms of Use listed here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx.

Please ensure the username is available before making the request via a search using this page: http://www.geocaching.com/email. If your search comes up empty, then the username is available. Note: It is not necessary to create an account using the intended username. We'll do that. If the username already exists and has ever been validated, or the username has been used in any way, then the username is not available.

The request for a username change needs to be made from the email address in your account profile and sent to contact@Groundspeak.com. Provide the current username as well as the requested new username. Please make sure you specify the exact spelling, spacing and capitalization for your new username.

Now there is still a reason for Shilo to bump this thread. :unsure::huh:

Well . . . since so few people actually read through the "Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions" :) I'll quote that post here. ;)

How do I change my username?

As many are aware, Jeremy posted this thread back in 2006 http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=130149 where he said:

For those who just can't live without changing their usernames we'll do our best to come up with some tools to move your information over to a new username.

Well my friends, that time has come...

Due to a recent feature change to our website, we now have the ability to grant username changes under qualifying circumstances. Approvals of username changes are at the discretion of Groundspeak, Inc. and need to comply with the Terms of Use listed here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx.

Please ensure the username is available before making the request via a search using this page: http://www.geocaching.com/email. If your search comes up empty, then the username is available. Note: It is not necessary to create an account using the intended username. We'll do that. If the username already exists and has ever been validated, or the username has been used in any way, then the username is not available.

The request for a username change needs to be made from the email address in your account profile and sent to contact@Groundspeak.com. Provide the current username as well as the requested new username. Please make sure you specify the exact spelling, spacing and capitalization for your new username.

Now there is still a reason for Shilo to bump this thread. :sad:;)

Bump :yikes: