IT"S IN THE NEWSPAPER!

Our State Parks encourage Geocaching. We have two that will rent GPSr with the coordinated pre-programmed for a nominal rental fee. The parks realize that they can attract more visitors and generate more revenue.

Now that is awesome. I have yet to not be supported by our parks system even after all the trouble we have had here in S.C. Our park rangers are very supportive of our activities and we try to be as supportive of them as we can with CITO's and other events. BUT, that there goes above and beyond the call. You guys are very lucky to have this program at just the two parks. :ninja:

Interesting article, but as already stated she used the "b" word. I just sent this email to the author:

Dear Ms Hogan:

I read about your article on the sport of Geocaching in an online forum, then read the article itself on-line. It is well-written and portrays the sport in a good light, and I thank you for that.

I’m writing because there is a problem with one sentence in your article (specifically, one word). In the last paragraph on the first page you state, “They’re buried by individuals all over the world…” Burying caches is specifically against the guidelines enforced by Geocaching.com, the largest geocaching website. The guidelines can be read at http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#offlimit.

This may seem like an insignificant and trivial matter, but one of the largest obstacles preventing land owners and land managers from allowing the placement of geocaches on property under their control is the word “bury”. If I were a land manager unfamiliar with the sport I would research the activity before granting permission to hide an object on my property. After reading a few articles mentioning “buried treasure”, I’d have a mental image of someone with a GPS receiver in one hand, a metal detector in the other, and a shovel and pick strapped to his back. I would never grant permission to “bury” Tupperware containers or ammo cans on my property. For a more real example, geocaching is banned on most National Park Service land, and a large portion of the blame is because of the false “burying” idea.

Thank you for bringing attention to our sport, and I wish you well.

I'm not big one renting a gps recivers when I got my own and I can put in my own cordance in.

Gezz using geocaching just to cash in on the sport, do you really want to rent a GPSr?

anyway the word has gone out...

Sometimes i wonder what you are thinking about when you post something. :ninja:

What arthurat posted is awesome!

Currently if a person/family wants to try caching with a GPS they need to:

Buy one. Expensive and many just dont know which one to get. (What if they dont like caching?)

Borrow one. (if you know someone.)

Now you can rent? What a great way for a park to get people there and associated with caching. Awesome idea! I think many families would try caching if they only had a GPS... Now this is a reasonable alternative....

I'm not big one renting a gps recivers when I got my own and I can put in my own cordance in.

Gezz using geocaching just to cash in on the sport, do you really want to rent a GPSr?

anyway the word has gone out...

They are not using geocaching to "cash in." :( We are actually assisting them as much as they assist us...they could easily say "No, you may not cache here." We work with the parks, just as they work with us. Some of these parks that "rent" them, actually loan them...for no fee. And yes, if I had just heard of the sport/hobby/addiction and did not have a GPS, I would definitely want to try before I buy and if I didn't know of anyone with a GPS then I wouldn't even be able to try it, now would I? :ph34r: So basically they article was not suggesting you go out and rent one of their pre-loaded GPSrs if you ALREADY have one...it was a mention for those who read the article and wanted to TRY before you BUY! Those parks are also the ones most likely to have "geocaching clinics" to help get the NEW person started B)

And...just FYI...the word has been out...that is not the first article, nor will it be the last. Geocaching has been mention on TV (search the forums for Law & Order), in hiking magazines, local newpapers and newscasts (see the Michigan Geocaching, or any local geocaching forum...they all have links) going way back.

[end rant]

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to flame, insult or harass anyone...it was meant as education only, I apologize if it came across differently

Folks,

I think that you are violating a copyright by cutting and pasting that story without permission. This could turn a good story about geocaching into an example of how geocachers ignore ownership of intellectual property.

I think a good move would be to delete the post with the quote in it before it gets Groundspeak in trouble and makes geocachers look bad.

- T of TandS

I posted information on a pro-geocaching newspaper article a while back. Unfortunately, I quoted the article without permission and I received several responses similar to the one above.

Unless you have permission to copy the article, you may want to insert a link to the newspaper instead of reproducing it.

This is just a friendly warning from someone that has already ruffled the feathers of a few folks on the forum.