topomap install ?

I just got a Vista HCx and was putting some Garmin Topos on it. I installed the U.S. West maps to the computer no problem. When I go to transfer to the GPS it says there's too much to transfer. So I tried just transferring Utah, Idaho, Wyoming...bingo no problem. I have a 2 Gb card so I don't think that's the issue. Is this normal or do I need to try something different to download the whole map at once?

I just got a Vista HCx and was putting some Garmin Topos on it. I installed the U.S. West maps to the computer no problem. When I go to transfer to the GPS it says there's too much to transfer. So I tried just transferring Utah, Idaho, Wyoming...bingo no problem. I have a 2 Gb card so I don't think that's the issue. Is this normal or do I need to try something different to download the whole map at once?

There is that 2025 map segment limit to contend with.

I spent some time looking at Oregon with the online Map Viewer for both US Topo West and Topo 2008.

Both products cover Oregon with the same ~158 segments. It appears that the segments are identical, at least in one area of eastern Oregon that I overlayed.

So, no, Topo 2008 does not help with the 2025 segment limit issue. This segment issue is a limitation of the firmware in the X units and MapSource. I know this applies to the 60C(S)x and 76C(S)x units as well as the Legend Cx, Vista Cx, and Venture Cx.

I don't know whether this limitation applies to the new HCx units, however, since they have not listed updated firmwares.

To be clear...

It is a GPSr limitation (not mapsource) that it can only have 2025 map segments. If you install from mapsource to an SD card in a card reader you can put considerably more in, but it will not work correctly.

Garmin Topo US 2008 is 6633 total maps at about 3987.46 Mb of data

- Alaska - 1420 at 847.3 Mb

- Hawaii - 26 at 4.58 Mb

- Puerto Rico - 15 at 6.58

- CONUS - 5172 at 3129.0 Mb

Garmin Topo US (previous) is 6639 total maps at about 1596.69 Mb of data

- Alaska - 1425 at 84.8 Mb

- Hawaii - 27 at 2.29 Mb

- CONUS - 5187 at 1509.6 Mb

( Puerto Rico not included in this edition )

In either case, you would have to break up what you were going to use to fit under the 2025 segment limit.

FYI, it is a *lot* faster to load uSD cards with data with a card reader, than within the GPS as cabled to the PC.

The micro SD card will only hold 2025 map segments. If you send another mapset to the card, it overwrites the first map set. There are more than 2025 topo map segments in the U.S. so the answer is "no".

I just bought a 2GB microSD card for use in my new eTrex Vista HCX (which is currently on back order). I put the microSD card in the SD adapter and inserted it in my notebook's card reader. From Mapsource I selected all the Topo Western US map segments (this is with the original Topo not 2008). There were 2622 maps segments selected with a total size of 648.9 MB. Mapsource transfered all 2622 segments to the microSD card. Since I didn't have a Vista HCX, I put the card into a 60cx that I have at work. It seems to read all the segments. 60cx Card Info says for Maps there is 648.94 MB. When I fully zoom out (500 mi) I see all the map segments, doesn't look like any are missing but I'm not going to try and count all the segments. So it appears you can copy more than 2025 segments if you use a card reader.

Pete

I'm not going to try and explain card readers, but you can look at this url and find all kinds to choose from.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

I'd suggest finding one in the $15-20 range that's USB2.0 compatible and handles the card types you think you will need. Basically you just plug the card reader's USB cable into a port on your PC. The PC recognizes it as another "drive". Plug your flash card into the reader and point MapSource to it instead of your gpsr. The map downloads to the flashcard in the reader. Simplest solution to the 2025 segments is to load US East onto one card and US West to another and just swap em as needed.

Edited by geoprincesss
How do you use a card reader? I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. So with Topo maps do most people just download the local area that they will be traveling in rather than down loading the entire map to the GPS?

I only download the local area I'm working with. Typically, that's my home area (Chicagoland) which fits with no problem. When I'm in LA (we're moving there), I load the entire metro area and the San Bernadinos with no problem. If I'm hiking, I generally load all of the map segements around the route that I plot (MapSource does that automatically). My MapSource is on my laptop, which travels with me, so its no problem to swap maps in and out of the GPSr.

Edited by imajeep