GPS features

GPS treasuredragon

Paperless generally means you don't have to print out webpages to read the cache webpages 'cause the text webpages will be available in your PDA for viewing. That's how I use them. I don't use the PDA to record my finds. I simply change the icon to one next to the treasure box and I record the time in the description section. You may think this takes time, but I have it down to a science. Seems to me it take longer to document your finds with a voice recorder as you'll have to stop it and start it etc...

But pdas are exspenive thier not cheap.

You guys are rich you can afford PDAs as for I have to go old school

I have to go with paper and log everything back at the house on my desk top.

Why do you keep saying this?

They are not expensive at all.

I have heard if you have an ipod or PSP that you can also do paperless.

accordance

cordance

It is difficult to understand what you are trying to say sometimes.

If miragee is correct then you are trying to say coordinates?

In another thread you talked about buying those expensive e2 batteries. Just save your bucks and buy a PDA. You should be able to get one for less than $20.

I believe you said you use a iFinder Expedition C in another thread, right? The built-in voice recorder might well come in handy at the cache--instead of making notes on paper or a PDA you can just record your comments into the GPS. How much total talk time is there for messages?

As for PDAs, really some of the best ones for geocaching are the least expensive ones. I like the old Palms because they sell cheap and I don't have to worry about dropping them. They work well with Cachemate. I got my Palm iiixe for about $25 from someone in the garage forums here. They threw in a case, a hard case with keyboard, an extra stylus, a set of rechargeable batteries, and some swag items--and of course it also came with the HotSync serial cradle. I've seen just the cradle and PDA go for $10 various places.

It's a beast--I can't remember how many times I've dropped it (in the case, luckily)--and every time I think I've killed it, but it still keeps on working. I bought it because I thought I'd fried my first one, but it turns out the first one just needed a hard reset. I've got about 3000 caches stored in it right now because I haven't cleared out some old trips we did last spring. There is plenty of room for more. I like having the entire cache page with me on the hunt, and I save a lot of $$$ on paper and ink.

Craigslist is where we got ours.

If they don't have what you are looking for now you can set up an RSS feed to check quickly for a new ad.

I have some for GPS's and Bikes (I need to find a cheap one.) The RSS is so much faster than visiting the page and checking.

What are the best cheap PDA's for paperless? I have an m130 and i love it but i have heard others say it is no good due to sunlight.

IIIxe?

m500?

I'm not sure which all of the old Palms have this problem, but my m105 has it. The capacitor that holds the charge for changing batteries went out. You have to re-sync every time you change the batteries. PIA.

Otherwise, I concur. An old cheap PDA is the way to go--especially if you're prone to drop things.

I've been through a few old Palm units from eBay. Even with a hard case, if you put it in your back pocket and then sit on a lumpy rock they make a horrible crunching sound. :rolleyes:

It's not really a big deal though since I get them really cheaply from eBay. You don't need a fancy one. You don't need color. I think mine only has 8MB of memory and I can put about a gazillion caches into it.

The cheap Palm I use is actually less expensive than the money you will spend on ink if you are printing out a ton of cache pages.............

Edited by Thrak

I have the palm IIIx and I just got a palm m515. I paid 25 bucks for the IIIx included hot sync cradle and shipping and handling, this nice thing about this model it is takes AAA batteries. The only problem I have had is if it gets hot it is hard to read. I paid 40 bucks for the m515 with case hot sync cradle and car charger. both on ebay.

I carry the pda in my bag in case i need a hint. I do manually log my finds in a small notebook in the front of the pda case so I don't forget what i took and left. I started out writing everything down before i left, what a hassle. the only way to go is with a PDA