Which to buy: Vista Cx or 60Csx?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this hobby and to this forum. I have been researching the Garmin units a lot but I am having trouble deciding between the above mentioned units. My immediate use is: fishing, boating (floating units not of interest), camping, auto-routing & geocaching.

What are the pro's and con's in your experience? What would you recommend?

Thank you for your input.

Michael

I was facing the same dilemma several months ago. I needed a GPS for a number of uses. I ended up with a Venture CX. I've been really quite pleased with it. It does lose satellites sometimes in tree cover, but that hasn't really been a problem. Now I'm afraid that I'm going to wear it out, so I bought a Garmin Mariner (similar to the eTrex Yellow) on the Garage Sale last week.

One thing I've noticed though... I know that there are a lot of 60CSX owners out there, but have you noticed that a large percentage of posts on this forum are about problems with the 660CSX?

Don't get the Vista Cx. It's being phased out in favor of the Vista HCx, which has a high-sensitivity receiver. It should be on par with the 60 CSx for reception. The biggest remaining advantage of the 60 CSx is a better antenna and a larger screen. With the 60 CSx, you can record a good breadcrumb track while the unit is hanging on your belt. That's great for recording hikes, which I do a lot. The Vista has to be held horizontally to record a reliable track, so it doesn't work very well hanging on your belt.

Don't get the Vista Cx. It's being phased out in favor of the Vista HCx, which has a high-sensitivity receiver. It should be on par with the 60 CSx for reception. The biggest remaining advantage of the 60 CSx is a better antenna and a larger screen. With the 60 CSx, you can record a good breadcrumb track while the unit is hanging on your belt. That's great for recording hikes, which I do a lot. The Vista has to be held horizontally to record a reliable track, so it doesn't work very well hanging on your belt.

I'm wondering if the new HCX with the new receiver will be on par with the 60csx and be able to pick up satelites no matter where it is situated?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this hobby and to this forum. I have been researching the Garmin units a lot but I am having trouble deciding between the above mentioned units. My immediate use is: fishing, boating (floating units not of interest), camping, auto-routing & geocaching.

What are the pro's and con's in your experience? What would you recommend?

Thank you for your input.

Michael

I have the Vista C and prefer its smaller size to that of the GPS Map60Cx/CSx. I also prefer the action of the "click stick." My GPSr doesn't have the "cool factor" of that other GPSr however. :blink:

If I finally upgrade this year, I'll get the Vista HCx. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if the new HCX with the new receiver will be on par with the 60csx and be able to pick up satelites no matter where it is situated?

Nobody really knows yet. But rumor has it the chipset used in the eTrex 'H' models is at least as good as SIRFStar III. Real pity if true--gives me one less reason to act superior for using a 60 CSx! B)

Nobody really knows yet. But rumor has it the chipset used in the eTrex 'H' models is at least as good as SIRFStar III. Real pity if true--gives me one less reason to act superior for using a 60 CSx! B)

I spoke with Garmin tech support and he mentioned that the high sensitivity chip will be as good as the SIRFStar III. The price of the Vista HCx will be the same as the Cx but you don't get a microSD card with it. Not a big deal. I should have mentioned Vista HCx in the original post as the other item I am interested in. The techy said to wait for it as it will be 2 - 3 weeks and it will be well worth the wait.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I didn't know about the horizontal position of the Vista unit to record points, I thought that was only for the compass.

Any other things to know?

I didn't know about the horizontal position of the Vista unit to record points, I thought that was only for the compass.

For recording waypoints, you pretty much have to hold the unit horizontally, so it's not an issue. It's when recording a breadcrumb 'track' that it becomes an issue. I had an eTrex Vista before I got my 60 CSx. I ran some tests to determine the relative accuracy of tracks recorded with the unit. When I held the unit horizontally, I typically got 20' accuracy, assuming no tree cover. But when I walked the same course with the unit on my belt, accuracy ranged from 20' to more than 200'.

That situation may change with the HCx, given its high-sensitivity receiver. It may record a much better track when hung from one's belt.

I just got the Vista Cx and I love it!I get right up on the cache and it's very accurate. I pick up satellites in the house...tree cover is no problem at all...It's also very easy to read in the sunlight and the little stick on it makes navigating a breeze--JMO

Edited by TreasureRaiders
The biggest remaining advantage of the 60 CSx is a better antenna and a larger screen.

If you plan to use the unit for driving, the buttons on the front of the 60 will be easier to operate than the buttons on the side of the eTrex.

This is a really good point.

I also want to point out that I have a Legend and those style buttons have not been as reliable as my 60CS and I have used my 60CS a lot more. My joystick on my Legend won't even go to the left anymore. So now I have to loop all the way around using the right direction. However, the previous comments about how you have to hold the GPS won't apply to the HCX models. I'm sure you can put those in your pocket and they would still work fine! B)

Edited by TrailGators

Wow! Some fantastic feedback. Thank you.

The buttons on the side vs. the front is becoming a bigger issue for me, in particular, when used driving. Although driving will not be the primary function, I must consider it for future use.

I think I will wait until the HCx comes out before I make a decision.

What about hooking up an external antenna: is it really required for the 60Csx? If not then it shouldn't be an issue for the HCx.

The buttons on the side vs. the front is becoming a bigger issue for me, in particular, when used driving. Although driving will not be the primary function, I must consider it for future use.

I think I will wait until the HCx comes out before I make a decision.

What about hooking up an external antenna: is it really required for the 60Csx? If not then it shouldn't be an issue for the HCx.

You don't need an external antenna for either one.

<snip>

Once you get used to which button is which, it is easy to change pages and make selections with the Venture/Legend/Vista click-stick.

I prefer pushing the click-stick down for "Enter" than having to look for the "Enter" button on the 60 Series. Although, I'm sure once someone gets used to that extra button to push, it is easy.

Thank you again for all the input.

I decided on the 60Csx after some late-night sniping on ebay. I can't wait for my first GPS!!! Geocaching, here we come!

Hands down, the Vista HCx would have been the next choice.

Get ready for some threads on map upgrades...I will do my research first.