new Premium member: now what?

AShan

hi there, I just became a premium member.

I mean what benefits can I get now. I don't have a PDA. I have

a cheap old yellow ETrex that would not be easy downloading waypoints

into. This GPX and LOC file stuff, pocket queries, is all tough stuff to get

started. You see I am not very computer literate. I would like to do

"caches along the route". Or eventually upgrade my GPS. And the choices

in supporting software is mind boggling with no advice. Whats simple,

and easy to get started?

Tony

Whats simple,

and easy to get started?

Well, you could go out and grab some member-only caches. I've only seen one in my area. and there are those who are even premium members that refuse to go and get premium member caches. Personally, I don't care, but that is one easy thing for you to do to get a cache. If you get yourself a cheap pda, using cachemate and pocket queries is probably the most powerful use of the premium membership.

Why is it not easy to download waypoints into the yellow eTrex? It should be no easier or harder than any other unit.

Simplest way to get started is to install EasyGPS on your PC, hook up the cable (or buy one if needed), run you PQ, and send the results to your eTrex. The whole process after installing EasyGPS takes about 3 minutes.

Edited by briansnat

I will install EasyGPS on my computer. Thanks for that tip.

The cable that runs from my GPS to my Etrex is an accessory

that cost $30 and my Etrex is about 7 or 8 years old. Its the

cheap basic model and it doesn't, to me, make sense to buy

accessories for it. I need to upgrade.

Simplest way to get started is to install EasyGPS on your PC, hook up the cable (or buy one if needed), run you PQ, and send the results to your eTrex. The whole process after installing EasyGPS takes about 3 minutes.

EBay is your friend. You can get a Palm Z22 for about $40, and if you don't have a data cable, you can get one for about $10. Go to SmittyWare.com and buy CacheMate for $8. That's about all you need.

With that, you can download pocket queries to the Palm and your Trex. The eTrex holds the coordinates, and the Palm holds the descriptions, hints, and logs. It's about all you really need.

As to computer literacy, here's an excellent excuse to ramp up your skills! You are already more literate than you think, because you are here. The truly computer-illiterate can't manage that. If you feel weak on basic computer skills, there are tons of adult-extension courses. Ask at your local library--they can point you in the right direction. Other than that, post questions here. Nobody bites (well, not many, anyway :laughing: ), and you may be surprised at how quickly you pick it up.

If you are looking for an excuse to upgrade, there are plenty of really nice GPS units out there that offer more features than your does. I recommend the Garmin GPSMap 60 CSx, but the Garmin Legend HCx, the Venture CX or the Legend CX may be more to your taste and budget. You'll want maps too (about another $100)

However, to be honest, your 7 year-old, simple GPS will work quite well if all you need are the coordinates to go caching. It will be even nicer if you don't have to load the coordinates by hand. With a PQ, you can get the coords to 500 caches at a time. You need the cable to get the coordinates from the computer into the GPS--whether you use GSAK, EasyGPS, or some other program.

If you really want to be ultra efficient, you'll also invest in an inexpensive PDA (about $25), so you can turn that same PQ of caches into a file for the PDA and not have to print out and carry around reams of paper.

PS The Garmin GPSMap 60 CSx comes with it's own cable! :laughing:

What type of computer do you have? And do you have an iPod? I know you can paperless cache on iPods with a Macs, and probably with a Windows as well.

Paperless with an iPod!?!?! that sounds awesome... I have a 20 GB sitting at home and I better I could put about 30-40 cache profiles on it, eh?

Any more details would be awesome.

What type of computer do you have? And do you have an iPod? I know you can paperless cache on iPods with a Macs, and probably with a Windows as well.

Paperless with an iPod!?!?! that sounds awesome... I have a 20 GB sitting at home and I better I could put about 30-40 cache profiles on it, eh?

how on earth do you have one sitting at home? are you at home? if i get more than a few hundred yards from my ipod i fall to the floor with anxiety-induced seizures.

What, what, what?!?!? I've got a 60gb through Windows. How do I do this? Enlighten me, por favor.

Here's a couple topics on the matter:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=164853

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=28501

Looks like Team Lawrence will also help you if you ask nicely.

Edited by stepshep

how on earth do you have one sitting at home? are you at home? if i get more than a few hundred yards from my ipod i fall to the floor with anxiety-induced seizures.

Well with the shuffle and the nano on the way, the 20 GB is soo big..