new to geocaching

charmd_one

Hi I am new to geocaching

I was wondering I been going with my freinds and finding some of the different

caches and they said you have to sing the log book before you can post on the internet that you have found them is this true

Yes this is true. Because then some people would be signing on the internet that they found it and never did. I have 2 caches and have not checked but I know for sure the first was found by the FTF person the second one I am not sure about and will be checking here as soon as I get the chance.

caches and they said you have to sing the log book before you can post on the internet that you have found them is this true

Ok thanks that is veryhelpful we went on a cache hunt in the colville city park and couldn't find it to sing it i was going to sing it but it wasn't there to be found.

If you log a "Found it" without really finding the cache, and signing the log, your log could end up over in this thread. ;)

Logging a "Found it" when you haven't actually found the cache could lead other cachers to believe the cache is there and they will search needlessly, as I did recently when someone posted a false "Found it" on a cache we stopped for on a recent roadtrip. :D

Edited by Miragee

It's prefered. Even if you don't sign the physical log, you shoudl find the cache before logging online. Some owhers do check and delete the online logs of those who don't sign the physical log.

Signing the log book is preferable becuase you could just lie and say you were, but if you were there and couldn't sign take something and place something else there as proof that you were there.

sorry about the spelling it's off alittle :o

can you go to a cache more than once

Signing the log book is preferable becuase you could just lie and say you were, but if you were there and couldn't sign take something and place something else there as proof that you were there.

It's considered bad form to log a find on a cache more than once, with a few exceptions. However it's okay to go back to retrieve or place a bug. But you should use the Note log type.

It's considered bad form to log a find on a cache more than once, with a few exceptions. However it's okay to go back to retrieve or place a bug. But you should use the Note log type.

I didn't mean to ask it that way what i ment is that if you just became a member but have been out with freinds on finding a cache but couldn't sing it because you were prevously not a member I want to go back to a few caches that i know were they are and sing them but not go back to them again.

I didn't mean to ask it that way what i ment is that if you just became a member but have been out with freinds on finding a cache but couldn't sing it because you were prevously not a member I want to go back to a few caches that i know were they are and sing them but not go back to them again.

I see what you mean. Sure, now that you have an account on GC.com you should feel free to revisit the cache, sign the log and log your find online.

If you were at the cache before, but didn't sign the logbook, then you should return and sign the logbook before logging your "Found it" online.

If you return to a cache another time to pick up or drop off a TB, you should only log a "Note." There is someone here who hasn't figured that out yet . . . :o and has logged a "Found it" on one cache four times . . . <_< I guess that is one way to "pump up" one's numbers. :unsure:

If you were at the cache before, but didn't sign the logbook, then you should return and sign the logbook before logging your "Found it" online.

If you return to a cache another time to pick up or drop off a TB, you should only log a "Note." There is someone here who hasn't figured that out yet . . . :o and has logged a "Found it" on one cache four times . . . <_< I guess that is one way to "pump up" one's numbers. :unsure:

Thankyou that is very helpful.

Now that I am a member I can go back and sing the ones I couldn't before.

Some advice bud...Log a 'found it' once.Anything after that is a noteOtherwise you end up in this thread.. :o

well we found it i just couldn't log it because I was not a member of geocaching yet but now I am so I will go back and log it.

No no,You're good there.I mean after you start caching,and find that a cache has been missing and you log it anyways as found.Some folks hate that thread,but it's actually a great thread in the sense that it teaches integrity... <_<

The other posters where correct.When I started caching,I found a couple caches before I had a screen name,so I logged them in the book,then made a profile and logged them online.As a side note,looging online is optional,but logging in the cache log is courteous. :unsure:

Cache on.

Some advice bud...Log a 'found it' once.Anything after that is a noteOtherwise you end up in this thread.. :mmraspberry:

well we found it i just couldn't log it because I was not a member of geocaching yet but now I am so I will go back and log it.

No no,You're good there.I mean after you start caching,and find that a cache has been missing and you log it anyways as found.Some folks hate that thread,but it's actually a great thread in the sense that it teaches integrity... :signalviolin:

The other posters where correct.When I started caching,I found a couple caches before I had a screen name,so I logged them in the book,then made a profile and logged them online.As a side note,looging online is optional,but logging in the cache log is courteous. :drama:

Cache on.

Thanks for all the help everyone I am having so much fun caching my freinds got me into it I realy like it.

Cache on all ;)

......As a side note,looging online is optional,but logging in the cache log is courteous. :signalviolin:

Cache on.

Actually logging online is quite courtesy as well.It is the least you can do for the person who took time to buy a container, add some trade items and a logbook, scout out a hiding place, hide it, create a listing page for it etc.

No matter what else it says - It is the best way to say "thanks" for giving me something to do today.