Garmin GPS60

roberteod

Another newbie, can you believe it. Got hooked by my bro-in law. Found 3 caches in North Carolina. I have been looking at everything I can find on GPS units. I don't need mapping, I have mapquest for that. Has anybody out there used the GPS60 and if so, how does it compare to, say the Garmin ETREX units. One thing that caught my eye was the type of antenna the GPS60 uses. I read that it can be accurate to 3 feet if held vertically. Any comments about this unit would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

Another newbie, can you believe it. Got hooked by my bro-in law. Found 3 caches in North Carolina. I have been looking at everything I can find on GPS units. I don't need mapping, I have mapquest for that. Has anybody out there used the GPS60 and if so, how does it compare to, say the Garmin ETREX units. One thing that caught my eye was the type of antenna the GPS60 uses. I read that it can be accurate to 3 feet if held vertically. Any comments about this unit would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

About the same for the color eTrexs when it comes to reception. A bit better on other features including that mapping you don't want. (Opinion applies to 60C and 60CS. NOT the 60CX and 60CSX. Nor the new Hx etrexes. I'm losing track...

Edited by Renegade Knight

I'm guessing you are talking about the GPSMap 60Cx or Csx. The "S" model has an electronic compass and altimeter, which you may not necessarily need.

If you don't want the mapping functions that the unit is capable of, you may want to look at the eTrex series.

I will say that I used my 60Cx for about a month without the maps, and I recently purchased the City Navigator Map. It has dramatically improved the effectiveness of this unit. Just something to think about in case you'd like to upgrade later.

I dunno about getting accuracy to 3 feet, however. Even on a clear day in the open, I think the best you're going to see from any commercial unit is about 15-20 feet. Thats been my experience with mine, YMMV.

I have a Garmin 60 (Just 60) and after have 4 other types of Garmins, have found 60 to be best for all around and cost wise. Does everything I need and I have been many times able to get within 4-5 feet of any cache. Which depends on who placed the cache and there cords they entered. I have been many times with 4 other cachers and all of us with different Units, and you can get 5 different readings, all within 20 feet of the cache with mine the closest. Many times this has happened, so I stick with my sweet ol basic 60. Also I have had 2 color screens and with the sun beating down on the screen I would much rather have a BW unit than color. Just my opion. ~~Cache-on!

Mine suits me perfectly. All I want is an arrow pointing to the cache and remaining distance to go. It does it absolutely fine, as accurate as it gets with a consumer (non-military/pro) unit. Getting to the cache area is usually no problem - the real trouble starts when it's a really devious needle-in-a-haystack hide. No GPS is going to help with that, unless they improve things for us to repeatable accuracy to less than a foot. And that would kill a lot of the fun from the hobby!

I use it totally manually, I've never connected it to the PC. It's easy to use, and the batteries last long enough. Reception can be awkward amongst trees, but that adds to the fun challenge.

btw I live on an island only 9x5 miles in size (and seldom leave it), so I'm fairly familiar with what's where and mapping isn't an issue ;)

60Csx and Etrex 'H' models have high-sensitivity receivers--a must if caching in wooded areas. Otherwise, your GPS goes dead when you get under the trees.

I live in Quebec (trees-a-plenty) and the only time I got weak signals was when I tried it in my basement. Otherwise I always have 7 meters of accuracy. ;)

60Csx and Etrex 'H' models have high-sensitivity receivers--a must if caching in wooded areas. Otherwise, your GPS goes dead when you get under the trees.

My etrex does fine under most tree cover. My 60C does fine (no high sensitivity) as well. The plain b&W 60 is a fine unit - just not a lot of features. However, just not a lot more dollars to go to the Venture Cx for a lot more unit.

My etrex does fine under most tree cover. My 60C does fine (no high sensitivity) as well. The plain b&W 60 is a fine unit - just not a lot of features. However, just not a lot more dollars to go to the Venture Cx for a lot more unit.