Cool Cache Container addition to Web site

klipsch49er

While using the forum I visited the "Pictures - Cool Cache Container (CCC’s)" thread within Geocaching Topics. That thread has had 1,760 posts, mostly pictures and 379,075 views and that was as of the last time I checked. Obviously this topic is of great interest to the membership.

I would like to see Groundspeak have a page either on the forum or geocaching.com where members could view selected cache containers and vote for their ten favorite. After this vote the top ten containers could be listed in a feature article and perhaps the member who came up with the #1 could have an icon added to his profile attesting to the honor.

The benefit to our sport and to Geocaching.com membership would be the quality and variety of the cache install base throughout all geographic regions. Not to mention some good old ingenuity spurred by competition to be the creator of this years “Best Cache Container 2007”.

AS for me I am already in the process of copycatting some of the containers I saw on the "Pictures - Cool Cache Container (CCC’s)" thread.

What do you think? :)

I dont think Groundspeak has time for that.

I have contemplated having a site that shows the different caches from that thread but i was worried that people who posted the pictures might get upset that it had their pictures somewhere else.

I just wanted a central location for me to view them rather than have to search through many, many pages.

Somewhere in that thread is a post where a guy linked to a page where he was putting pics of all the caches.

He didn't pay his hosting bills though it seems - the domain is no longer availiable. I was thinking of doing one myself, but lack the time

i don't want my containers photographed and especially not published.

and i'm REALLY against a contest on this site about it.

you might tell me that i have no control over whether or not photos of my cache get posted on an external site. you'd be half right; i can't stop you from posting pictures, but there's nothing that says i have to keep the cache out there. it's no hair off my tail if i archive it and bring it in.

you might tell me that i have no control over whether or not photos of my cache get posted on an external site. you'd be half right; i can't stop you from posting pictures, but there's nothing that says i have to keep the cache out there. it's no hair off my tail if i archive it and bring it in.

You sound very negative about this, for that I am sorry.....

My goal was to get others to use some of these great ideas to spice up cache demographics. While my area seems to be repleat with a large variety caches, where my daughter live is one micro after annother..... I think Altoids should sell cammo colored cans just to help us out :o

Just wanted some of these good ideas to get arround!

Thanks for the great cache ideas and keep 'em comming!

This is what i was worried about. I was thinking of just using the images hosted on the gc.com website by the person.

Of course now that i think about it not everyone does that and some might have their image hosted elsewhere with no known way to delete/change their image.

But if they are linked to the forums then maybe it would be ok to link on a separate web page...

You sound very negative about this, for that I am sorry.....

not so much negative as completely opposed. usually when one of these ideas crops up the person presenting it has no earthly idea that anyone might oppose it, and that goes for ideas that maybe i'm in favor of.

i'm against all ratings contests here on this site or relate to it. i am also against publishing pictures of cache containers unless the person posting is the cache owner. i have a very lovely da-glo oranage ammo can trimmed with gold, but i prefer for people to see it in person.

i have no control over what people post (outside of what gets put on my cache pages), so my only sure recourse is to remove a cache that has been compromised in this way. more importantly, i feel it is a deterrent to come down swiftly and definitively against these things if i want to be heard at all.

it's kind of like firing warning shots.