USB TO SERIAL CABLE

VBMAN

HI ALL IAM FAIRLY NEW TO CACHING..IAM IN VAN BUREN, AR....I HAVE JUST PURCHASED AT A GREAT PRICE....A GARMIN GPS 12.......TRYING TO FIND A USB TO SERIAL ADAPTER...SO I CAN DOWNLOAD FROM THE PC. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED...I WILL BUY ..ANYONE GOT ONE? THANKS VBMAN

HI ALL IAM FAIRLY NEW TO CACHING..IAM IN VAN BUREN, AR....I HAVE JUST PURCHASED AT A GREAT PRICE....A GARMIN GPS 12.......TRYING TO FIND A USB TO SERIAL ADAPTER...SO I CAN DOWNLOAD FROM THE PC. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED...I WILL BUY ..ANYONE GOT ONE? THANKS VBMAN

I tried an "El-Cheapo" and it didn't work. I'm going to invest in the Genuine Garmin cable soon.

I tried an "El-Cheapo" and it didn't work. I'm going to invest in the Genuine Garmin cable soon.

iam not looking for a cheapo...iam just looking for one that works...i just dont know what it is i am needing...ill pay for it..doesnt matter..i just need to know what to get and where to get it at?..thanks vbman

The adapter cables don't always work, cheepo or expensive. They all pretty much have the same chipset. Another option is to add a serial port to your computer (desktop, not sure of availability for laptop). Easy, inexpensive, and it works. That is what I did after hours of struggle with the cable that still doesn't work. Both can be found on ebay.

The adapter cables don't always work, cheepo or expensive. They all pretty much have the same chipset. Another option is to add a serial port to your computer (desktop, not sure of availability for laptop). Easy, inexpensive, and it works. That is what I did after hours of struggle with the cable that still doesn't work. Both can be found on ebay.

well iam not very computer smart on things like that...there still is a cable that has to be bought even if you get a serial port for the pc correct? and how do i know which serial port to get that will work with this garmin 12 unit i have...are all the ports the same...or will it have to be a certain one...and after i do get the port(hopefully getting the correct one)....will i know the correct cable to get that will also go with the gps unit?...iam sorry...i sound like a dumbazz...but its only on stuff like this!! lol.....vbman : (

[Well dont know if you have a STAPLES company out there but I have a 12 as a back up and I needed a adaptor cable just what you need, I got it there for $21.00 also there is a guy at- fulton@exwis.com He can make just about any cable you need for GPSers...Nice ones...with longer lines also..

Fantastic prices (Cheap) drop him an email and he can let you know, if you cant find anything else/

CACHE ON!!!

I purchased one off ebay for a couple of bucks over 18 months ago and I have had no problem with it what so ever. I would check there.

I may be to late but hope not. You can use the cheap USB to Serial cables. I got a cheap one and at first it did not work. The reason is you need to download the USB 2.2.1 drivers to get them to work. i have two laptops. One has Windows XP and the other has Windows Vista and i had to do the same wth both to get the cable to work. i downloaded the drivers from a couple of websites but only the drivers from the Garmin Support website worked.

I have a Belkin, and have had no problems with it. A friend tried several different brands that didn't work and also is now using a Belkin.

I've got one from Radio Shack. It would not have been my first choice, but somebody else bought it for me, so what the heck. Had to install their drivers. It works fine with Mapsource and with the Trip and Waypoint Manager, but I'm still not having any luck getting it to work with EasyGPS or any of the other utilities out there. Also will not work with the Garmin Communicator Plugin.

I have a Belkin, and have had no problems with it. A friend tried several different brands that didn't work and also is now using a Belkin.

Click here