Ok I have signed up but don't know a thing

hisgrace1

Hello My son has told me about geocaching so I went to this website. I have read and read and still confused. I haven't even purchased a unit yet and haven't a clue what to purchase. It is my husband and I anniversary this week-end and we are biting at the bit to get started geocaching but we are totally lost. The only thing we are sure of is the web site address. So PLEASE HELP. What unit do I buy and will it have everything on it to get started. THANKS A BUNCH ;)

I would try and borrow a gps first-go with an experienced cacher(contact them through e-mail) Otherwise see about renting a gps.

I use a Garmin Legend and its a good unit-nothing fancy. You can get one for 150 dollars retail and cheaper online.

Good luck (look for a regular sized one on your first attempt).

Welcome to the fun!

Start by reading the FAQs.

As far as what unit to buy, that is up to you. What kind of things do you need it for? For instance, we wanted one that you could add maps to and that would connect with our PC to upload geocache sites to.

The cheapest GPSr units you have to enter the coordinates manually and then you just get an arrow on which way to go.

I think most every handheld GPS unit will have what you need to geocache. After that, its up to you want you want. You will learn lots from these forums. Ask away and you will usually get answers, and fast too. ;)

Also utilize the search feature for the forums as most questions are asked ad nauseam.

Remember- have fun!

Edited by knight2000

As for a unit, it takes some research. Being new, you need to balance getting a low-end unit which you may need to replace in a year or so if you love geocaching, as opposed to starting with a good, mid to high end unit that you will have wasted your money on if you don't stick with it. I simply started with garmin models, which you can research and compare on garmins web site.

As for what you will need, just pick a cache or two near you that has a difficulty of 1 or 1.5, print the cahce page from geocaching and head out! Bring a pen to sign the log. Feel free to take a geocoin (looks a feels like a heavy coin) or a Travel Bug (looks like a military dog tag with an image of a bug on it). Once you have those home (if there were any in the cache), log them online that you took them. Any other stuff in the geocache you generally trade equal or up. Have fun!

Does your son geocache? Does he have friends who geocache? If so, go out with them a couple of times to see what the game is all about, and to learn a little bit about GPS before taking the plunge.

I jumped in a couple of months ago and discovered pretty quickly that I had purchased a GPS that wasn't well-suited to my particular needs. I cache in the woods a lot, and I use my GPS for hiking. But the unit I bought lost reception under tree cover. Fortunately, I was able to sell the unit on eBay, after which I got a 'high-sensitivity' unit that works much better.

Also, my first few finds were pretty frustrating exercises, because I didn't really know what I was looking for. In retrospect, I suppose I should have learned more before rushing in.

If you don't have friends or relatives who geocache, look for a caching event in your area. Geocachers love to get together, and they are very welcoming of newbies. Events can be searched just like caches. So, find an upcoming event in your area and go to it. You'll make some friends, and you will learn a ton.

Feel free to take a geocoin (looks a feels like a heavy coin) or a Travel Bug (looks like a military dog tag with an image of a bug on it). Once you have those home (if there were any in the cache), log them online that you took them. Any other stuff in the geocache you generally trade equal or up. Have fun!

Just an FYI though, geocoins and travelbugs are not trade items. They are meant to travel. If you know you will be visiting another cache soon (within 2 weeks), then by all means move it. If not- please just leave it if you find one.

It is my husband and I anniversary this week-end and we are biting at the bit to get started geocaching but we are totally lost.

I like that you are doing your homework. We found the site on Saturday- bought a GPS on Sunday and then fumbled with trying to figure it out for the weekend. It was horrible. I was so frustrated. Be prepared to slow down and learn before rushing out.

Virtually any GPS unit that you can enter coordintes into will be suitable for Geocaching. Steep clear of the GPS units for in-car navigation as they are not very rugged and have poor battery life.

On the low end, I would suggest the basic Garmin etrex (yellow). Goes for about $89 but only has basic features. However, lots of caches have been found using it by a lot of folks.

Mid Range - I would look at the Garmin Venture Cx. Color screen, long battery life, routable maping, memory card slot and USB computer interface. All in a rugged package. About $180.

High End - Look at the Garmin GPS Map 60CXi. High end Geocaching features but around $400.

As for caching. You enter the coordintes to find into the unit. Select the one you want to hunt. Hit goto and then follow the arrow until you get to the cache area. Don't expect it to lead you right on top of the cache. Typical is within 20 feet.

From there: Open the cache, sign the logbook, trade for anything you like, put the cache back. Repeat often. ;)

Wow you guys are awesome at replying quickly. No my son doesn't geocache he knows a friends dad that does I might try and contact him. I have been looking at the Garmin cx's and am thinking of us purchasing one from Walmart this week-end. Do you just put the coordinates in yourself and head out? I have always been a seek and find person and this sounds so interesting. We live in Nevada so it's wide open space. I'm looking forward to communicating with all of you again. God Bless

Just an FYI though, geocoins and travelbugs are not trade items. They are meant to travel. If you know you will be visiting another cache soon (within 2 weeks), then by all means move it. If not- please just leave it if you find one.

LOL. I had no intention of saying you can just take and keep coins or bugs. But that is indeed exactly what I said. What I meant to say is feel free to take those items without replacing them. Then, make sure you drop those items off at another cache as soon as you can.

I have been looking at the Garmin cx's and am thinking of us purchasing one from Walmart this week-end. Do you just put the coordinates in yourself and head out? I have always been a seek and find person and this sounds so interesting. We live in Nevada so it's wide open space. I'm looking forward to communicating with all of you again. God Bless

I am not sure which one that is. (I have a Magellan, but do not recommend buying one. Buy a Garmin.)

You can enter then manually which is tedious and takes time, or some units will hook to PC and you can load hundreds in just a few seconds. (Recommended- this way you don't enter the wrong coordinates and end up searching somewhere where nothing is at. Been there, done that.)

There seem to be several Garmin CX's at walmarts web site.

LOL. I had no intention of saying you can just take and keep coins or bugs. But that is indeed exactly what I said. What I meant to say is feel free to take those items without replacing them. Then, make sure you drop those items off at another cache as soon as you can.

I didnt think that is what you meant. ;) Just wanted to clear up any confusion that the OP may have had if they read that.

Happy Thursday!

Wow you guys are awesome at replying quickly. No my son doesn't geocache he knows a friends dad that does I might try and contact him. I have been looking at the Garmin cx's and am thinking of us purchasing one from Walmart this week-end. Do you just put the coordinates in yourself and head out? I have always been a seek and find person and this sounds so interesting. We live in Nevada so it's wide open space. I'm looking forward to communicating with all of you again. God Bless

Walmart's prices are a bit higher than what you find online.

I rcommend using the GPS serial interface to transfer caches to your GPS - less error that way. However, you can just "mark" your location and then edit it to match the cache location. Where in nevada are you?

I just bought the Magellen 210 from Wal-Mart for about $150. It came with 2 programs that you put onto the computer first. They are great b/c when you are on this site, you click "download waypoints" and then you can upload them into the program. It is really really easy and I figured it out by fumbling around with it. Then you hook up your GPS to the computer and the caches are loaded. I would recommend only putting in a few, though, at first. That way you can learn to use the GPS and not have caches filling the screen. Good luck and have fun!

I definitely recommend going with a Garmin. We started out with the eTrex Legends, and liked them so well that we still have them, for friends to use when we take non-cachers out. We upgraded to the GPS map 60Cs and GPS map 76Cs and then went ahead and got a 60CSx too when we got a good deal offered to us.

The higher end units all autoroute, so we use them for road trips and to plan our cching expeditions. The Garmin units from the eTrex level and up all come with cables that will let you upload coordinates using your computer. That prevents making a mistake when hand-entering coords. Of course, it's simple to hand-enter cords, if you prefer when you are getting started--but Groundspeak has recently added a new feature that will let you upload cache info directly to your unit from the computer with no secondary software (but it only works with Garmin).

Garmin makes a good product, but if there is a problem they have top notch marks for customer service, too.

A lot of people swear by the Garmin Cx though I haven't used one. It seems to be the new "best buy for the buck" out there. If you are already considering the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, I highly recommend it. You won't "outgrow" it any time soon and it has all the bells and whistles anyone could ask for, without being a bit difficult to figure out how to use. It gets a good lock on signals even in dense woods (I can get a good strong signal in my house!).

If you buy a Garmin autorouting model you will want to add city maps or topo maps (about another $100 for City Navigator or US topo)

Edited by Neos2

Also get a hiking pole/stick for obviously helping your balance during the hike - but even more important to help explore the hiding place of the cache. Critters are always a possibility, use gardening gloves for the final retrieval of the cache.

Always take along more water than you "need."

Enjoy the addiction (hobby/sport). :anitongue:

Welcome to the sport. My fiance and I are brand new as well. I must say that I did a LOT of research on gps devices and read a lot of posts in this forum before finally purchasing the Garmin eTrex Venture Cx. It seemed to be middle of the road price wise at about 180 but it has tons of good features that are great for Geocaching. We're just waiting for it to arrive now so we can get started. Good luck to you!

Ok So my husband and I couldn't wait. It was our 6th wedding anniversary and we have been biting at the bit to go geocaching. So we go to Wal-mart yesterday and didn't have the one we were looking for. I called all around Reno to finally find the one we wanted. Boy if I would have ordered through Amazon or on-line at Wal-mart it would have been almost 80.00 dollars cheaper. But, we had to have it right now.....you would think we were teenagers.....so today is the big day we went out and found 6 caches one we never found and went twice... no luck...so we are now the proud owners of the Garmin Vista CX and it appears we are hooked.....Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice......

Also check around for a local GPS group, if a library is teaching about Geocaching (they are in Denver!!), if the local USGS or Park Service or BLM has any free classes (many outdoor gov't entities are hooking into geocaching to bring more people in the outdoors).

Take care,

Outspoken1

I must say that I did a LOT of research on gps devices and read a lot of posts in this forum before finally purchasing the Garmin eTrex Venture Cx.

This is what I purchased also. I did a ton of research on the forums but still felt pretty confused about what to buy.

I stopped at a sporting goods store where they had many different types of GPS units. It was good to hold them in my hand to see what fit and felt good. I think I would have really liked the Garmin 60cx - felt pretty good holding, maybe a tiny bit big for me, but big screen.

I purchased our VentureCX for about $150 through Wal-Mart instead of through a sporting good store to save a few bucks. I wanted to stay on the lower end for now - we can always upgrade if we stick with it, which we will! :ph34r:

Ultimately it comes down to using your best judgement and jumping in somewhere. After using it a while, you may decide to get something different that works better for you. But until then, you'll learn a lot!!